Meeting the parents

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Battou, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Battou

Battou TPF junkie!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Simply because The only thing that connects me to my generation is my camera, my education and my life experience.

I've been dealing with teenagers for so long, I have so little connection to people my own age. I mean look at me, I'm an administrator on a website overrun EMO preteen naruto fanchildren, I keep toy pokemon on my desk, I enjoy drawing cartoons, I babysit for a living for crying out loud.

I will not argue the validity of your arguement, I understand what you are saying. To answer your question, More than one would imagine. We have not only in our intersets but also our goals and even some of our life experiences in common. My stage in life as briefly outlined above is not that of a 27 year old man, is it?

One with happily married previous children, she obviously knows something I don't.

His position in all this is irrelevant, She no longer lives with him for valid reasons. We Will leave it at that. I understand what you are asking, but there are some things in this world that can negate anything he has to say. She sees her mothers current boyfriend (she has been with him since I met them) as her dad and father figure, and he approves, so as far as I am concerned her biological father is out of the picture.

2. Battou

Battou TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Her grandparents, where sixteen and twenty seven (or twenty eight she told me, I can't remember) when they got to gether.

My mother was sixteen when she gave birth to my oldest sister, my mom and dad had six more before I was concieved not including one still born sibling I have.

....Yeah, I fall into the latter half of that one as MK pointed out

3. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    oh come one...10 years is not a scary difference right now! AMybe the girl has "a great order" (as we call it in PL ) in her head, she may be smart and mature for her age, and Battou maybe a bit childish for his age... so... if... she is 4 years more mature than her friends, and battou is 4 years younger mentally than his friends (ey I am not offensive, don't think I ever was!) so the age difference is only.... 2 :)

4. LeroyLion

LeroyLion TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

...you just blew my mind.

Its a good way of thinking about it. :) At least I think so.

5. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mentos, I don't think 10 years is a big difference . . . MOST of the time.

When one of those people is still in high school, still a teenager, and not legally an adult, then I have a problem with it.

She can't vote, she can't buy a pack of cigarettes, she can't drink, and her brain isn't even fully developed. (and it won't be for a few more years)

Now if he were 36 and she were 26, you wouldn't hear a word from me about anything.

For the record, my parents were 11 years apart, with my mother being 17 at the time.

6. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let me start with the obvious: Age is just a number.

I am a married man (for 7 years now) and the difference in age is 17 years. She is my junior, that is. :) We're doing great, thank you very much and her parents (mom) protested a little bit at the beginning. It's normal, she was protective of her. But... At that point, my wife-to-be told her mom that she is old enough to discern what works and what does not.

If there is a relationship that works, it will work despite the age difference. I have seen many a relationship with people of close or same age that didn't work and many that did. The same with the ones which are apart in years.

Don't worry about what 'mom' says or the ways it will affect your relationship with her (the mom). If your GF is happy, that's all that matters.

7. Hawaii Five-O

Hawaii Five-O My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be

Photos OK to edit
    well age is more than just a number, it represents a person developmental stages too, there.

Girls who look for older men are probably just looking for a father figure to take care of them, considering her father had problems and left.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  8. Battou

Battou TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Onward and upward, I bought her her first camera yesterday morning, it should arrive Wendsday or Thursday. I've still yet to pick up some additional lenses for her to use but I plan on having them right directly so. She wants to learn, I'll teach her what I can and yall may get to meet her.

9. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    +1 :thumbup:

10. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah Iknow Alex that you start to love me already :D

11. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :taped sh:

Should we really tell them already?? :heart:

12. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

That's speculating and generalizing, my friend. I know of many relationships and marriages of happy nature where age didn't play a role in their decision to be together. The old myth about the 'father figure' is just that. a myth. Sure, there are cases where a younger female will marry an older male just because the 'father figure' syndrome but to generalize that matter? No way I agree.

Regarding the relationship between one's age and his/her developmental stage, that is again a generalization. I have seen younger people being and acting very mature and vice-versa. For example, I had a part time worker in my coffee shop, he is 19 and he came from a dysfunctional family. Mom is about 37 (had him very young), pop is about 40. His mom is alcoholic, his father a druggie. He has brothers which are almost 'normal', exhibiting desires to try drugs and alcohol. He is basically raising the family, he is the most mature person in that family. Hard worker at 19, he was the manager of another coffee shop before working for me. He works in the mornings and at night he attends a community college. Well behaved (no alcohol or drugs of any kind, except caffeine) and helpful, I would not hesitate making him the manager of my shop when needed. I have seen others in their 50s being less mature than this guy.

Sorry to shoot holes in your statements. ;)