model shoot what you guys think? (NSFW)

edwarde21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Still new to the forum so any mistakes I make in sorry in advance. So I just got to use my Nikon d810 I wanted to see how I did on my first shoot with the camera. The time was a bad time I picked out but I try the best I could. I heard once that you learn more out of harder situation then easier one. Lol but let me know what you guys think and where I can improve. All pictures were edited in Lightroom

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Quite frankly, I'd say you would have had to work hard to find less attractive backgrounds! All of the images would have benefited from some fill light. You've got an attractive model, so I think perhaps, a re shoot with a little more planning would yield some great results.

Quite frankly, I'd say you would have had to work hard to find less attractive backgrounds! All of the images would have benefited from some fill light. You've got an attractive model, so I think perhaps, a re shoot with a little more planning would yield some great results.

So are they really that bad? but your advise helps out thank you

I would agree: the backgrounds are fairly strong, fairly intrusive. I took the one where she's in the dress by the freeway and did some crazy distortion of the image in Lightroom. Overall, most of these are dark, and back-lighted...we cannot see into the shadows enough because the lighting has very little fill light. You can lighten things up a bit in software, but it is not the same as actual, good lighting at the time of shooting.

Here is what I would think of: more model, less L.A., in most cases. The shot on the overpass (the 4th shot) would have been a nice "tall".

image-8_preview.JPG

Those power poles are very distracting. I cropped out the church and spire.

image-9_preview.JPG
I used fake distortion correction to radically change the perspective here, and I cloned out 80% of the trash on the ground and stuck in the fence...

image-10_preview-2.JPG
Noisy and back-lighted, I cropped this and softened it up with a bit of digital fill light.

image-11_preview.JPG

If this one had been framed as a "tall", it would have gone down to the mid-thigh level and would have been super-sexy.

image-12_preview.JPG

This is interesting, dappled, afternoon lighting, with delicate shadows falling over her. It's a nice type of lighting condition, but very challenging to work in. This would be a great time for the use of a very FAST-aperture lens, to really defocus the background--something like the 200mm f/2, or 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 models, shot at about f/2.5 or so. The 55 MPH sign hurts this shot.

I would agree: the backgrounds are fairly strong, fairly intrusive. I took the one where she's in the dress by the freeway and did some crazy distortion of the image in Lightroom. Overall, most of these are dark, and back-lighted...we cannot see into the shadows enough because the lighting has very little fill light. You can lighten things up a bit in software, but it is not the same as actual, good lighting at the time of shooting.

Here is what I would think of: more model, less L.A., in most cases. The shot on the overpass (the 4th shot) would have been a nice "tall".

View attachment 107111

View attachment 107112
I used fake distortion correction to radically change the perspective here, and I cloned out 80% of the trash on the ground and stuck in the fence...

View attachment 107113
Noisy and back-lighted, I cropped this and softened it up with a bit of digital fill light.

View attachment 107114

If this one had been framed as a "tall", it would have gone down to the mid-thigh level and would have been super-sexy.

View attachment 107116

This is interesting, dappled, afternoon lighting, with delicate shadows falling over her. It's a nice type of lighting condition, but very challenging to work in. This would be a great time for the use of a very FAST-aperture lens, to really defocus the background--something like the 200mm f/2, or 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 models, shot at about f/2.5 or so. The 55 MPH sign hurts this shot.

Oh man thank you so much that work was so amazing I still have a lot to learn I couldn't do the lighting like you did to get rid of the shadows. This helps so much you don't know how I feel right now thank you. I really Thankful for this.

View attachment 107111

View attachment 107112

View attachment 107113

View attachment 107114

View attachment 107116

One question I have how did you use the digital fill light on the picture number 1 and 3? Thank you in advance

I am using an old version of Lightroom, version 3.6...and it has Fill as a slider...HERE are screen captures of the exact adjustments I made.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

I am using an old version of Lightroom, version 3.6...and it has Fill as a slider...HERE are screen captures of the exact adjustments I made.

View attachment 107117

View attachment 107118

View attachment 107119

Oh man thank you that helps so much and now I know I have to use fill light more when I'm on the shoot as of for the background that I knew I had a problem. I used to shoot with my 50mm 1.4g on my dx body. Now I have the 24mm-120mm f4 so I been loving the wide angle. The problem I had with the 50mm I would shoot at 1.4 and my sharpness was on point. But I'm gonna star using it again and shoot at 2.8.

I looked at your IG...you have access to many gorgeous chicas there in LA! Envious!

I don't mind #2 all that much. The crop of the power pole helps, overall that's a good image. She's doing the same pose in a few of her shots with her hand over her coat, should look to change that up a bit on her part. Face is a little underexposed in a few shots, so I have to agree with a comment above that some fill light could have been useful. In one image the shadows being cast over her distract me a little too much, the one with the white top. Maybe it would be alright if shot with shallow dof

So to sum it up. I like #2 with a crop, the rest for me personally are so-so. Image quality is good. I think you're definitely on the right track though

Maybe consider losing the watermark too. Unless you're only posting these on social media the watermark doesn't look so great

Last edited:
No, they're not "that bad", but with just a little more work/practice they could be a LOT better. Derrel's given you some excellent tips. I would also concentrate on learning lighting. Even though you're out of doors, supplemental lighting will almost always improve your images! You'd be amazed at what a difference a single, off-camera speedlight can make!

Hey bro. What I am about to tell you might piss you off. But I have the intention of making you better. [emoji16]

When dealing with non-professional models, it's going to be YOUR FAULT if they don't look inspirational and technically correct.

So do what you can sir. [emoji16] good luck on the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's my kind of model for sure. Like Derrel I looked at your links and you've got some very nice pics there. I'm just a snap shooter myself but all the advice you got above from the pros is very instructive.

At least you have a model to work with, that puts you ahead of me! :)
And these do seem like a good start. Do you have any lights or reflectors?

I don't mind #2 all that much. The crop of the power pole helps, overall that's a good image. She's doing the same pose in a few of her shots with her hand over her coat, should look to change that up a bit on her part. Face is a little underexposed in a few shots, so I have to agree with a comment above that some fill light could have been useful. In one image the shadows being cast over her distract me a little too much, the one with the white top. Maybe it would be alright if shot with shallow dof

So to sum it up. I like #2 with a crop, the rest for me personally are so-so. Image quality is good. I think you're definitely on the right track though

Maybe consider losing the watermark too. Unless you're only posting these on social media the watermark doesn't look so great

Thank you very much I want to be great and this advice helps a lot and the day I did have a reflector but didn't used it and it was a big mistake

Most reactions

Back