Monet's Rowboats

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At least they were on a pond on his estate in Giverny when we visited last October (2018). It took me a long time to find the image I was looking for in this shot. I think it now reflects the Japanese prints that so influenced and impressed Monet. I'm including the original version as it came from the camera. All processing was in Photos on my MacBook, so I think all the colors were discovered and accentuated, rather than simply added. I think I'll use this one in a calendar project.

After
DSC_1328.jpeg

Before
DSC_1328.jpeg

Very nice! I really like what you did with this. If I could offer one small suggestion: Perhaps pull down the background highlights a bit and lift the exposure just a bit on the tree trunk and near side of the boat. I find the over-bright background pulling my eye away from the main part of the image.

I might ease up just a tad on the color, the boat and grass look slightly bluish green. But I like modern art and am not that into impressionists and Monet, etc. but - beautifully done scene, nice inspiration used effectively.

I might ease up just a tad on the color, the boat and grass look slightly bluish green. But I like modern art and am not that into impressionists and Monet, etc. but - beautifully done scene, nice inspiration used effectively.

Maybe REALLY lighten it up, and add some Minus Clarity? You know, make it look light and airy and maybe more impressionistic...

Very nice! I really like what you did with this. If I could offer one small suggestion: Perhaps pull down the background highlights a bit and lift the exposure just a bit on the tree trunk and near side of the boat. I find the over-bright background pulling my eye away from the main part of the image.
Thanks for the suggestion! This is a try at using it.
Original Post:
DSC_1328.jpeg

Version Two:
fullsizeoutput_7d1c.jpeg

Maybe REALLY lighten it up, and add some Minus Clarity? You know, make it look light and airy and maybe more impressionistic...
I'm going to open up Pixlemator and learn how to do that. I'm starting to feel the limitations of only using Photo and not being able to work on particular areas of the image and add effects like Minus Clarity, which I've never used. With some suggestions that point to a knowledge and skill in Photoshop, I'm reminded of the old joke, quoted by Monty Python: A man is instructed to follow a curvaceous receptionist to a job interview. "Walk this way, please," she says. He replies, " If I could walk that way I wouldn't be looking for a job." Even seeing the merit in Tirediron's suggestions, I could only try them globally. Time to learn some new tricks!

In this case, I was trying for the contrast between the coolness of the ground and water and the warm tones of the trees and bamboos. I think it would be interesting to have a project where the same sample image were to be offered to all comers for different editing, I think there would be a lot of good surprises.

Really like what you have done with this. I am a great fan of the impressionists especially Van Gogh. Now if you could do Wheatfield with Crows you would really grab my attention [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Don't get me started on Monty Python, next thing you know I'll be on YouTube getting nothing done!

I don't really see a huge difference in the two above, I think the second one seems brighter but I can't decide if I like it better or not. I think greens can be tricky.

I like version 2 the best. I like turning ordinary photos into art, I can't do it as well as you but I'm learning.

Nice pics, nice color. Thank god photography isn't like cooking or else I'd be telling everyone to get out of my kitchen while I'm cooking or you don't have to eat it if you don't like it, lol!

Last edited:
Don't get me started on Monty Python, next thing you know I'll be on YouTube getting nothing done!

I don't really see a huge difference in the two above, I think the second one seems brighter but I can't decide if I like it better or not. I think greens can be tricky.
I tried to follow Tirediron's suggestions as well as I could, with my limited processing skills. The highlights are toned down a little and the shadows are brought up for a little more detail in the tree, in the second one. I like them both.

Most reactions

Back