Most Overrated Bands

terri said:
Anyone who would call the Beatles "an overrated band" is out of their flipping mind. :mrgreen: Laugh at the image of the screaming teenage girls in the 60's if you must - but you shouldn't flash a fundamental ignorance of musical structure. Generation after generation, any musician worth his salt will tip his hat to that band, bar none.

If it weren't for the Beatles, there's a lot of music that would not have been written. The Beatles broke boundaries; they wrote the book. Period. Study them, and become enlightened about their stunning collective musical accomplishment.

There. I have saved a few of you from certain banning from the forum by JonMikal, who likes to make good on his threats. ;)

Their first few albums were pretty terrible though. it was in the era when singles were released with filler around them and was called an album. The singles were good the albums...

Any punkish bands are overrated and crap imho, eg
Blink 182
Simple Plan...etc you get the idea

a very underrated artist is Neil Young, Never on the radio but he is a pure genius:)

Cheers,
Mack

bace said:
This is like asking who is the most overated photographer on the board.

Isn't art, in this case music, subjective. Everyone is dissing bands that other people like. It's just a constant battle?

That's exactly what I was thinkin....maybe this should be retitled ' bands you don't like' ;)

Daniel said:
Their first few albums were pretty terrible though. it was in the era when singles were released with filler around them and was called an album. The singles were good the albums...
Yes, they contained more covers of other people's stuff. In that regard, I would agree.

Aside from that, you're wrong. :mrgreen:

Can't Buy Me Love.....

I'll give you all I got to give
If you say you love me, too
I may not have a lot to give
But what I got, I'll give to you
I don't care too much for money
Money can't buy me love

Say what you will! I like that lyric! Catchy tune, fun little guitar riff! 60's simplicity of the finest kind! Makes me :boogie: yeah darlin'!

owwwww.......!!!

terri said:
Yes, they contained more covers of other people's stuff. In that regard, I would agree.

Aside from that, you're wrong. :mrgreen:

Can't Buy Me Love.....

I'll give you all I got to give
If you say you love me, too
I may not have a lot to give
But what I got, I'll give to you
I don't care too much for money
Money can't buy me love

Say what you will! I like that lyric! Catchy tune, fun little guitar riff! 60's simplicity of the finest kind! Makes me :boogie: yeah darlin'!

owwwww.......!!!

:thumbup:

yes agree with Santino about Lopez, her singing is laughable and her dancing is worse. Ive never seen her act so cant comment

I'm not sure why everybody is so down on Spears/Lopez/Aguilera/J. Simpson....if a record company threw millions of dollars at you to dance around and sing, why wouldn't you take it? There's obviously support for this, or else they wouldn't be making any money. From what I've heard though, I think Aguilera and Simpson have some pretty strong voices....as opposed to the other 2.

What about Hanson and Mmmmm Bop? ;) The Beatles wrote pop, so did Hanson...who's to say which is better artisticly?

treehuggerhikerboy said:
I'm not sure why everybody is so down on Spears/Lopez/Aguilera/J. Simpson....if a record company threw millions of dollars at you to dance around and sing, why wouldn't you take it? There's obviously support for this, or else they wouldn't be making any money. From what I've heard though, I think Aguilera and Simpson have some pretty strong voices....as opposed to the other 2.

What about Hanson and Mmmmm Bop? ;) The Beatles wrote pop, so did Hanson...who's to say which is better artisticly?
Only thing I have wrong with a lot of them is that I think they are not good role models for young girls (I work closely with kids, so it hits close to home, a little). Other than that, meh, whatever...not my kinda tastes but whatever. Although I personally don't feel that ASHLEY Simpson has much talent. :)

Aguilera has a very good voice. The others are poor. You might not like her style but you can't deny the technical qulaity of her voice.

Mack said:
Any punkish bands are overrated and crap imho, eg
Blink 182
Simple Plan...etc you get the idea
You talkin about emo pop punk.. right? Cause real punk isn't on the radar enough to be considered overrated.

voodoocat said:
You talkin about emo pop punk.. right? Cause real punk isn't on the radar enough to be considered overrated.

agreed.

I actually thought emo and punk were diametrically opposed....am I wrong?

It's funny how there are so many 'music genres' out there right now. I just heard of math rock. I like shoegazer to describe some music though...seems aprapos.

I would just like to say in Christina Aguilara's defence. That girl basically sings all her stuff live. And maybe you haven't noticed but she can actually SING. Possibly the best REAL voice of our(my) generation.

Plus most of her last album was written or co-written by her.

bace said:
I would just like to say in Christina Aguilara's defence. That girl basically sings all her stuff live. And maybe you haven't noticed but she can actually SING. Possibly the best REAL voice of our(my) generation.

Plus most of her last album was written or co-written by her.

I agree but also think she tends to overdo it quite a bit.

This thread is a little weird.

This is like asking who is the most overated photographer on the board.

Isn't art, in this case music, subjective. Everyone is dissing bands that other people like. It's just a constant battle?
The thought process of the thread was more tongue in cheek, because there really isn't a right answer. But some wrong answers. ;)

It's amazing the diversity of listening habits among people. Another thing that is interesting is the way people listen to music. I know that the lyrics are secondary when I first hear some music. Hence my enjoyment of Iron Maiden.:D Where, other people, like my wife, really hears the lyrics first.

Another interesting thing is that many people have expressed their dislike to rap, but I don't remember anybody mentioning country music. Except for some exceptions like Cash, I give it a :thumbdown: .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back