What's new

mostly automotive - my photos

Thank you, I really appriciate that! I've thought about trying to gather up a bunch of people for photoshoots in a 2 week period in the US, and fly over as a vecation and just photograph my brains out (and buy some sweet lenses while I'm there :)) but it'll require a lot of planning, cash and... well... most likely I'll never manage to pull my finger out of my you-know-what and get around to doing it.. But it's a nice thought :)

bmw3313w.jpg
 
I like your style man, and your taste in cars. Loving the E30 M3 on your website. You wouldn't happen to be on twitter would you?
 
Thank you. I'm not on twitter because I've reached that point in my life when everything's mostly about "the same old routine" day inn and day out. As entertainment it would fail miserably, but as a cure for excitement it would totally rock! :lol:
 
dtzitko: There's really too little stuff going on to warrant any kind of blog or twitter page. Even doing this for free, I'm having a hard time getting cars for photoshoots, so I've been trying for a while to spark an interrest in other kinds of subjects so I can shoot more, but havn't found anything yet (as you can see on my site, there's a few random things there :))

Jetblack: Thank you.
 
Wow. I hope to get on a level akin to yours someday. With my own techniques and processes of course! (I agree that copying another photographer's work is a bit uninspired)
 
Thanks DSLR NOOB, and I really like your additude about processing!

Over to someting else...

Went to one of (if not THE) biggest camera stores in oslo, and lost my mind. Well, I'd already lost my mind before I went there because for some strange reason I had to have a 500mm lens. It just grew on me this week, the sensation that my life would not be complete without it.

And seeing as my job doesn't pay that much, I could only afford a sigma 150-500mm and a sigma x2 teleconverter. And in no way shape or form am I trying to imply that it's a cheap lens. But compared to other lenses with a 500mm reach it's a steal ;) And when I write "just bought", I mean JUST bought. I came home, ran up the nearest hill, slapped everything on my D300 and took a series of test shots that in no way reflect the potential of the lens (but does a great job of showing how crap things can be when you don't pay any attention to anything and just do things as fast as you can)

And before you ask "what are you going to photograph with it?", let me assure you that I havn't got a clue. No idea, at all. It's a part of my "buy something and put it to good use" challenge. It's fun just to loose your mind sometimes.. Very expencive, but fun :p

As I said, these are just some test shots, poorly put together and shot in a hurry because I was really looking forward to seeing the reach of this lens, so - yes - they're crap. The editing is crap aswell, so don't complain about the variation in color etc on the pictures because I threw these together from RAW files in a hurry. This is just to show the reach of this lens.

16-85mm @ 16mm - this is the scene:
16mm.jpg


Faaar away there's a farm. Lets take a look :) :
16mmfocus.jpg


16-85mm @ 85mm:
85mm.jpg


150-500mm @ 150mm:
150mm.jpg


150-500mm @ 250mm:
250mm.jpg


150-500mm @ 500mm:
500mm.jpg


150-500mm @ 500mm with x2 teleconverter:
1000mm.jpg

(I forgot to manually focus this shot, so it's a bit iffy...)

I was a bit dissapointed by the results with the teleconverter, as I imagined 1000mm would give me a lot more reach compared to the 500mm shot. But other then that, I'm looking forward to testing this lens out more seriously.

And the OS (vibration reduction) on this lens is loud, and it sounds horrible. It's like some small mechanical animal is dying inside of it. But it works.
 
Nice series to give an idea of what the 150-500 can do! I've been wanting that lense for a while as well.

I think there is quite a difference between 500mm and 1000mm and I was also impressed by the light and the image quality, I expected the most zoomed in pics to be darker and grainier. Did you use a tripod?
 
WOW! thats insane!!! now you dont have to ask permission before taking photos of peoples cars ;)
 
polymoog: I had it on a tripod to make the whole ordeal easier. But the ground was covered in moss, so I it wasn't all too stable, so I had the OS on for these shots.

austriker: Paparazzi photoshoots? :)
 
Thank you!

Got up at 6 this morning and had planned hours and hours of shooting with both the new lens and old gear. Had to cut it short because my body objected to beeing treated to taco's and vodka (not at the same time) last night, and then having nothing but a red bull for breakfast before going out this morning. In hindsight, I can see that it wasn't such a good idea.

Aaaanyway.. Managed to capture a freaky building (the noise is added on purpose on this image):

marsattacksw.jpg
 
Sigma 150-500 @ 150mm:
towerw.jpg


Sigma 150-500 @ 500mm:
112w.jpg


Sigma 150-500 @ 500mm:
500mmsunrisew.jpg
 
dang. love those shots, especially the 112 shot!!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom