lextalionis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.motleypixel.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay,

I'm on business travel in San Diego and my 30D only takes one shot and then on the 2nd shot Err 99. Took it to Kurts Camera Repair and they confirmed that it needs a new shutter assy. $200 labor, $40 parts. I think this is a little better than Canon's repair costs.

I'm on the lookout to see if anyone know about any DIY remedies out there? I'm not afraid to at least look into the procedure to repair or some other fix. I just recently took the front element off my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens to clean it and that went smooth.

Anyone have any info on a short term remedie or a link to a shutter replacement procedure?

Thanks

Ick. If the shudder is dying, just let them repair it. It was bound to happen at some point anyway.

Thanks. I was acutally able to get on average about 5 shots between err 99 this evening for some pacific ocean sunsets. I took the rocket blower to the shutter with the mirror up and with the shutter and mirror up. I think it's either worn or somtihng is lodged making it stick.

It has ~81K shots...that's a bunch of shooting :)

Thanks

Wow 81k shots, and it's refreshing to see you are more set on re-tuning it rather than getting a new body and sending this one to the eventual landfill.

Well, the camera is almost all the way disassembled. Once I get to the shutter assembly I will order a new shutter off eBay (one person sells them continuously). Maybe I'll do up a little tutorial and post it on my site.

Thanks,
-Roy

Thanks. I was acutally able to get on average about 5 shots between err 99 this evening for some pacific ocean sunsets. I took the rocket blower to the shutter with the mirror up and with the shutter and mirror up. I think it's either worn or somtihng is lodged making it stick.

It has ~81K shots...that's a bunch of shooting :)

Thanks
If you keep using the camera you could cause more extensive damage, resulting in a larger repair bill. Taking the rocket blower to the shutter is a good way to tear a curtain, you were lucky.

Yep seeing it was already stuck shut I figured it couldn't hurt the shutter any further...besides, like I said in my last post...the camera is dissembled and I'm almost the to the shutter assembly. Since a camera repair shop did look at it and said it was the shutter I figured I would just replace it.

-Roy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back