My chubby husband :)

I can agree with mana, though, one must wonder if it were a topless women it'd have the same creepiness.

The guy looks pretty tough, the expression has a certain "dont fck with me, I've got a knife" look to it. I can certainly see the creepiness, but I also think that this ambiguity is interesting.

As for the lighting, meh, it's chiaroscuro - which we're all programmed to like because it looks like Rembrandt. I don't particularly like it, but this is just a taste thing.

ceeboy14 said:
I wasn't making an accusation, merely pointing out my original context...judging on the original intent first, making suggestions second...it's just a personal peeve of mine that we tend to make our own photos of other's work before commenting on what they seemed to be trying to accomplish. I am far less snitty about this with more accomplished photographers than I am with newbies.

How people respond to someone's work is just as valid as any other form if critique.

My comment was simple, but it was genuine. The picture left me feeling that the setting was creepy. We have a man naked of chest sitting amongst a bunch of random stuff with very dramatic lighting that is fairly dark and stark.

It's creepy. To me, anyway.

Being creepy is neither good nor bad. If the artist intended creepy, then she got what she intended at least as far as I'm concerned. If not, then she and I did not connect exactly as she intended. That could be because of her execution, or it could be because of my interpretation.

To point a finer point on this... I didn't say her picture was crap. I said it was CREEPY. Very big difference.

I don't want this to get into a pissing contest. I merely stated as fellow photographers we should critique first on what's there (or not) and second make suggestions for improvement. I never said anyone else's crops were crap though admittedly I did state that using creepy as a critique wasn't much help to a noob. I'll stand by that comment. In actuality, other than Amolitor's comment, not much had been said regarding the artistic merit or lack thereof. Had this image come from Western Guy or the Traveler I'd have to raise an eyebrow and wonder what they'd been partaking in prior to the shot, but looking at the image as a very new photographer, I felt there was a lot to like about each component of the shot.

As a discalimer to everything I am saying today, I am heavily loaded up on cold medicines and it is quite possible when my head clears, I'll wonder what pony I rode in on today. For now, let's just let this one go.

Really guys? Really? :lol:

Honestly, you have to admit that this "discussion" on critique went much better that a lot of others have gone before it. Any discussion that doesnt get the thread locked is a good one. :)

Honestly, you have to admit that this "discussion" on critique went much better that a lot of others have gone before it. Any discussion that doesnt get the thread locked is a good one. :)

That's true... but it would still seem that there are still some people restless from the winter time-out. :lol:

...........As for the lighting, meh, it's chiaroscuro - which we're all programmed to like because it looks like Rembrandt. I don't particularly like it, but this is just a taste thing.

I somewhat disagree. There is not enough black in the shadows and enough highlights, particularly on the subject's face, to render a chiaroscuro.

To the OP..... chubby husband? Perhaps it's out of frame. :biggrin:

The guy is familiar and the processing is suspiciously sophisticated. This actually looks more and more like a movie still, to me. I just can't place the guy.

...........As for the lighting, meh, it's chiaroscuro - which we're all programmed to like because it looks like Rembrandt. I don't particularly like it, but this is just a taste thing.

I somewhat disagree. There is not enough black in the shadows and enough highlights, particularly on the subject's face, to render a chiaroscuro.

To the OP..... chubby husband? Perhaps it's out of frame. :biggrin:

When I first looked at the image I thought the same thing..wow, this guy must have a huge a** because I'd kill to be that "chubby."

The guy is familiar and the processing is suspiciously sophisticated. This actually looks more and more like a movie still, to me. I just can't place the guy.
He looks Bruce Willis-ish but I think this may just be her photo, not a movie still.

The OP did not do the post production. So unless we see the original image before it went into post production we'll never know. I see this image as more of a self portrait. The Op may have released the shutter but by the time it was finished it was the "chubby husband's" creation.

i don't think he is chubby at all..lol

That's true... but it would still seem that there are still some people restless from the winter time-out. :lol:

Yeah, but we're all still dry and that's the most important part. :mrgreen:

So that is what "Atheist" looks like?
Not so bad, eh? :sexywink: (cough-cough - oops, the wife is 'on').

LaFoto you are right... That is my husband... He hates having his picture taken that's why he looks so grumpy. :)
I don't know how to use photoshop so after I took this picture he helped me with everything... I was just going to post it as is but he said it looked ridiculous. He helped me out a lot. I told him what I want it to look like kind of and he adjusted it. this is kind of what I had in mind... so I will post more of my own pictures later. He suggested I use this forum to learn and since I got so many replies and suggestions, I think he is right.

anyways thank you.. I can't wait to post my pictures her for you to critique. You can be bluntly honest too.... my husband sure is.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back