My first "non-family" set....

No insults. Re-read the thread. Contribute something yourself. The OP needs a real does of reality; she is continuing to make excuses for fundamental flaws, and attempting to attack other people who have taken the time to actually try to help her over the last few weeks.

What have you got to contribute vtf? Anything? an atta' girl! maybe?

I do a LOT here to help frustrated beginners. You....

No insults. Re-read the thread. Contribute something yourself. The OP needs a real does of reality; she is continuing to make excuses for fundamental flaws, and attempting to attack other people who have taken the time to actually try to help her over the last few weeks.

What have you got to contribute vtf? Anything? an atta' girl! maybe?

I do a LOT here to help frustrated beginners. You....

I have seen you help, I just dont think your last statement did. You already had made the point earlier in the thread.
I have tried to help her in another thread concerning the 50mm. I am new and trying to learn this lens myself but its a little insulting to read our dismal lens doesnt meet your expectations.

Remember Derrel is the forum drill instructor. He is here to help in his own way. His words might be harsh and cold but if you allow the defenses to drop and read his words without emotion, his advice is spot on!
I often try to prove him (haha) because the more firm his reply the better his information and teaching is, IMO
Sorry Derrel, I don't know if you realize that I do this, but really you give some of the best advice on the forum when you are a bit peeved! haha

Oh, I see...I have insulted your "lens". Your Canon 50mm 1.8 Mark II. Look...I am VERY familiar with that lens...I used to own one...it has a horrible reputation as a very difficult to focus lens...it is a lousy-focusing 50mm lens, vtf. It really,really is. It is the cheapest, most outdated, penny-pinching lens in the entire Canon lineup,and Canon ought to be ashamed to foist such a POS onto its users. It flares badly when shot toward the light. it often refuses to focus accurately. It focuses with a lot of noise. It has no manual focus override. it has one fewer lens elements than even 40- year old cheapie designs. It has a crude, 5-bladed diaphragm, that gives bad bokeh. it is filled with overcorrected spherical aberration, to make its images look "sharper", but which absolutely kill the bokeh--it makes exceptionally ugly images because it is the absolute cheapest, cheeziest 50mm lens design I have ever seen. I gave mine away to my wife's nephew when he went to design school to study photography, and I told him he could have the lens and that I would not take any money for it because it was a piece of crap. His instructor insisted that they need a 50mm prime lens. Seriously, the 50-II is a garbage design; it oftentimes snaps into two pieces, since it is pop-riveted together,not held together with more traditional, more-costly fasteners like....screws....

Anyway...I think a beginner who tells gsgary that he has cropped off the head of a rider in some kind of horse event is barking up the wrong tree, and insisting that her pictures are "pin sharp" seems to indicate a real lack of acceptance of honest criticism,and a somewhat deluded perception of the level of skill attained over the last 120 days. Being capable to shoot a wedding in 120 days? I don't think so....that's about the length of one photography course. Sorry if my statements were not up to your standards or expectations, but what I am seeing is a beginner who is just not admitting that there are issues with fundamentals. And who has continually been refusing to admit that the errors even exist. And attacking those who have offered help...what do you have to offer her in the way of advice or suggestions? I offered some help: stay away from slow speeds, pick a better aperture, elevate the ISO if needed, and practice.

I had a very long response typed out and lost it. That's annoying.

In response to Derrel:
You have a great knowledge of the aspects of photography, but in my 4 months of being here I don't think I've seen one picture for you that asks for C&C. Maybe you have moved beyond the skill of the beginner's forum. You sure come across as thinking so.

I've stated that some of these were soft. Yes, some of them are soft. I've stated that hind sight is 20/20. I should have used a faster shutter and adjusted otherwise to compensate. I didn't disagree with those things.

There IS quality loss with my images when I resize and slightly more when I upload. If you don't believe that... too bad. It's the truth. I can pull up the low res forum pictures and the high res pictures on my computer and tell a HUGE difference. I guess that's my advantage. I can see both of them.

I have improved greatly in 4 months, actually. I've learned quite a bit. Whether you believe that or not isn't my problem, nor will it affect how much I think I've improved. I know I'm not super awesome, but I know I'm better than when I started. ;)

Congrats on your smelly cheese, but I don't see how it applies.

I fully agree, ababy, but sometimes even for someone who cares little about what impression I'm giving to "folks on the 'net" it's hard to get past the general cockiness and "I am all-knowing", cocky attitude.

Being capable to shoot a wedding in 120 days? I don't think so....that's about the length of one photography course.

:er: Did you even -read- the wedding thread? I don't think so because you're throwing it WAY out of proportion. :lmao:

It's like I'm shooting a friends wedding or something, not like I'm going all out advertising my mad wedding photog skills.

Look it up, read it, and get over it.

so can you email the originals?
I'd like to see these pin sharp pics/

I have given you praise in the past, when you deserved it. Like about two weeks ago. I praised a shot you did of your daughter on the playground equipment and did not mention the fact that her face was ever so slightly out of focus; I said the composition was excellent, which it was. I let somebody else rain on your parade. Remember that???

And yes, in the last four months, I have not posted a shot in the beginner's forum. I first got an adjustable camera in 1973. I've dedicated my life to photography, pictures, and to photographic education. I've only been shooting pictures for 37 years, so I still have a lot more to learn. I've got over 3,000 images on-line. Great,average,indifferent ones. If you want to give me some pointers on how to use a 50mm lens, or on how to make a killer-sharp web reduction for Facebook, I am willing to listen to what you have to say. If my pictures turn out crappy, I take full responsibility for them.

Well, I disagree. I don't think these images are "crappy" as you put it. I've seen some crappy pictures. I think these are alright. Not great, maybe not even good by some people's standards and yes, some of them are missed focus, soft, whathaveyou, but crappy, I don't particularly think so. If you do, that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinion. If there's something specific and you want to help me fix it, I'm more than willing to listen.

Well, I disagree. I don't think these images are "crappy" as you put it. I've seen some crappy pictures. I think these are alright. Not great, maybe not even good by some people's standards and yes, some of them are missed focus, soft, whathaveyou, but crappy, I don't particularly think so. If you do, that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinion. If there's something specific and you want to help me fix it, I'm more than willing to listen.

This is why you will get less and less good help......because of the great big chip you have on your shoulder.

:thumbup:

If saying my images aren't sh!t means I have a chip on my shoulder then so be it I guess. I'm just not willing to admit they are crap by my standards. Sorry.

I did not call your pictures crappy...you are projecting: I wrote, "If my pictures turn out crappy, I take full responsibility for them." I was referring to MY photos. Seriously. I'm even giving you an out there--by admitting that I can make crappy photos, and if I do--I blame MYSELF. Got that yet?

I went back through your recent posts,misstwinjkytoes. Your attitude is that of a defensive self-confessed MWAC, and you call experienced shooters "asshats". For the past month, you have been trying to learn how to use your 50mm lens, and how to get accurate focus with it. You have been turning out some sub-par work. A three-hour lesson with a qualified, experienced shooter would show you the errors you have been making, consistently, for over a month. Instead, you're doing it here, in pubic, two or three pictures at a time. I would suggest you take a class in photography, or find a local area mentor who can actually demonstrate white balance, f/stop selection, and how to focus properly with an off-center AF point, using the equipment you have.

You have been here since June of 2010, and already have 1,262 posts. I have been helping you all along. Your rantings and ravings against "pros", and your defensive stance on "MWAC"s, as described in your posts, give me some insight in to your situation. if you want to improve your photography skills, there are multiple ways you can do it. You wrote you are going to be charging $400 for wedding photography services soon. Soon is too soon, IMHO. The quality loss you describe is NOT exclusively your web host or image re-sizing--your boy's senior portrait, first attempt, from Sept. 17 or so, was mostly out of focus and almost 1,000 to 1,200 degrees too cool on WB. Since then, you have complained about "asshats" (professional photographers) and decried what you call the bias against MWACs...so much drama...over and over...

And yet, when you did well, on 2 occasions, I complimented your work. You even thanked me for one post. I can only find 1 or the 2 atta-girl posts I gave you.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...rum-photo-gallery/217821-park-retake-few.html

I wrote:"Pretty decent camera handling, misstwinklytoes!"

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...photo-gallery/216079-oh-no-7.html#post2026884

On 9/20, you wrote: "$400 is what I am charging. I will likely rent a lens."

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-ungh-only-reeeeaaccchhh-keeeeyyyyyy-c-c.html

You wrote, "2 views and no replies? Apparently I need to make my avatar hotter...
__________________"

And so on and so on. If you want something "specific" to fix your issues, then you are truly not getting the idea--you need some experience and training, from somebody who will point out the repeated mistakes you are making over and over, for a month on end, and who will counsel you on how to shoot. Four months of self-taught experimenting with a d-slr. Not quite a "something specific" kind of problem...

Alright.ill take that advice. Ill try to find a local professional to teach me how to do it. Thanks.

by chance do you have any kind of filter on your lens? Like a UV filter?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back