my first roll!! (overshare)

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am probably more excited than I should be about posting these photos. They are after all, merely snapshots of my kids...but they were done in film! And with MANUAL FOCUS! I was certain I would get back a roll of over/under exposed + blurry photos but they were actually pretty nice! I used 'ilford 3200' film set at 1600. I shot most at f2.8 some at f4. I used my dads old minolta from college and both a 35mm and 50mm. I feel like a real photographer now...I can do really do this :D

without further ado

1) this one is the sharpest...it is pretty dang sharp on print but not so much on the digital.
26230025.jpg

2)
26230009.jpg

3)
26230004.jpg

4)
26230021.jpg

5)
26230024.jpg

6)

26230017.jpg

7)
26230036.jpg

8)
26230015.jpg

I am probably more excited than I should be about posting these photos. They are after all, merely snapshots of my kids...but they were done in film! And with MANUAL FOCUS! I was certain I would get back a roll of over/under exposed + blurry photos but they were actually pretty nice! I used 'ilford 3200' film set at 1600. I shot most at f2.8 some at f4. I used my dads old minolta from college and both a 35mm and 50mm. I feel like a real photographer now...I can do really do this :D

without further ado

1) this one is the sharpest...it is pretty dang sharp on print but not so much on the digital.
26230025.jpg

2)
26230009.jpg

3)
26230004.jpg

4)
26230021.jpg

5)
26230024.jpg

6)

26230017.jpg

7)
26230036.jpg

8)
26230015.jpg

I would say that you did pretty good!! I really like the expression on the first one! The dog is also one of my favorites. The B/W really do bring out the mode that your dog is in. what breed is it? Do you have a larger size of the pictures? I would like to see them at their full size. Please keep them coming.

-Hunt

Wow 1600 in film! Congrat's on your new film adventure.
Being that you'e just starting with film, I think I'd stick with a more conventional film like 200 or 400 and use a flash for indoor. Film is a different world and doesn't handle the ISO's like digital.
For me personally, I never shot a roll over 400. It's a personal thing, but I'm not crazy about the grain over 400. Daylight, non motion shots I always used 125.
Nice job!

BTW, I like the pooch. Nice focusing

I would say that you did pretty good!! I really like the expression on the first one! The dog is also one of my favorites. The B/W really do bring out the mode that your dog is in. what breed is it? Do you have a larger size of the pictures? I would like to see them at their full size. Please keep them coming.

-Hunt

Thank you Hunt (and everyone else) :) My dog is a rottie, she was the stillest model I had to practice mf on :lol:. I do have larger sizes!
26230009.jpg

26230025.jpg

That's an outstanding hit ratio for keepers! Well done. Do you find that film slows you down a lot, so you get more keepers?

That's an outstanding hit ratio for keepers! Well done. Do you find that film slows you down a lot, so you get more keepers?

Thank you! Yes I definitely slowed down especially with the manual focus! I enjoyed it but I doubt I will shoot film often. I love having more control over my images, and not being able to change iso was a bummer. But since my dslr is at the camera doctor I figured I'd give it a go ;)

Nice going Paige ! Was that X700 we spoke about in separate tread ?
Now, you set ISO about 2/3 of a stop above the real speed of that film (ISO 1000 - ?), but the processing was for ISO 3200, is that right ?
How big are those prints ? Remember, smaller print - better sharpness.

CUTE kids!!! I like 2,6,and 7. 3's not bad either. Yeah...film...it's, uh FILM!

Nice going Paige ! Was that X700 we spoke about in separate tread ?
Now, you set ISO about 2/3 of a stop above the real speed of that film (ISO 1000 - ?), but the processing was for ISO 3200, is that right ?
How big are those prints ? Remember, smaller print - better sharpness.

Thank you timor :) Yep the minolta! So obviously I know hardly anything about film but, I bought iso 3200 film. The guy said they don't make 1600 but we set my camera to 1600. And when I gave them the film I told them I shot it at 1600 (developed at a pro film lab). My prints are 4x6 and they look pretty dang good imo...well for what I expected! But they did these scans for me and the biggest size I have are the two large ones I posted.

The real speed of that film is about ISO 1000, but is made to be pushed. If X700 doesn't go to ISO 3200 (I don't remember it at the moment ) but you want to shoot at that speed set the ISO ring to 1600 as you did and then turn the compensation ring to -1 which would automatically cut the exposure by 1 stop from the value established for ISO 1600 and you set. Dont forget to tell the lab what ISO you were shooting at.

Wow 1600 in film! Congrat's on your new film adventure.
Being that you'e just starting with film, I think I'd stick with a more conventional film like 200 or 400 and use a flash for indoor. Film is a different world and doesn't handle the ISO's like digital.
For me personally, I never shot a roll over 400. It's a personal thing, but I'm not crazy about the grain over 400. Daylight, non motion shots I always used 125.
Nice job!

Try some Ilford HP5 (iso400) this is it shot at iso1600 but on 120 film

rchie%202hr%20dev1-L.jpg

This is it on 35mm at iso400

img221-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back