My first shot at modeling portfolio pics.........

jwilly1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have some good friends whose daughter wants to get into modeling. Long story short, they asked me if I would be interested in giving it a try. I explained I hadn't done that before, but that I would be happy to give it a shot. These are some of the pics from the shoot. I would appreciate any CC on these. Let me have it.. As always, I appreciate your time and feedback.

Photo #1
HAT TIP 3 DSC_0048.jpg

Photo #2
OVER THE SHOULDER DSC_0301.jpg

Photo #3
SQUAT DSC_0142.jpg

Photo #4
STANCE DSC_0100.jpg

Red shirt, red pants, red background?

Other than having too much red ( for my taste anyway ) I think these are pretty good.

Looks like nice lighting and a nice subject.

Expecially for your first time, Id say you did a great job.

I noticed a subtle theme of red throughout. ... I lost track of my background status. Lesson learned. More variety.

The red is very attention-getting, and steals some of her thunder, I think.

I think her hair is too dark, too much contrast in these, and there is a bit too much vignetting going on.

I would "dial these back", and go for a bit more detail in her hair (not so dark,m not so much contrast) and lower the red saturation in Selective Color in Photoshop, or in the HCL panel in Lightroom.

Agree! ^^^ That said, for a first go, these are pretty darn good! The red is... well.. a bit over done, but the lighting is decent, and the posing isn't bad. A couple of additional nit-picks (Just 'cause the posters above stole all the easy stuff). Try not to turn the subject's head so far in relation to their body, and try to avoid having them look so far off to the side. Ideally, you want a bit of sclera visible on each side of the iris. Also watch the bit of disembodied arm visible lower right in #2. Overall though, pretty respectable.

I agree with the above. For a first attempt I think you've done really well. Nice engagement with the model. Good variety of poses. Background is way too overpowering and clashing with the girls attire.

simply perfect in every way. but need little bit change in first 2 photos. red...red...red.
she is very beautiful !!

What would you all have done with the background color on these? I know the red is a little much. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out, and the client is over the moon with them. To be honest, I wasn't sure where to go with the red jeans, as far as a backdrop. If I went too dark on the background, my concern was that all that would be seen were the red pants. In the picture with the rust colored shirt, I needed some color behind her so as to not lose the hair (maybe I should have used some subtle white light on the blotched brown background?). I really appreciate the responses. I always enjoy getting critique from those that are more perhaps more practiced than I.

that red textured background needs to be shot with a gun next time.

What would you all have done with the background color on these? I know the red is a little much. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out, and the client is over the moon with them. To be honest, I wasn't sure where to go with the red jeans, as far as a backdrop. If I went too dark on the background, my concern was that all that would be seen were the red pants. In the picture with the rust colored shirt, I needed some color behind her so as to not lose the hair (maybe I should have used some subtle white light on the blotched brown background?). I really appreciate the responses. I always enjoy getting critique from those that are more perhaps more practiced than I.
The complimentary color to red is green (yeah, not great for photography, I know) but a neutral color (gray or black would work well here. If your model shows up wearing red, the best you can do is thank your lucky stars that it isn't pink! The ideal solution is to simply get her away from the background (at least 8 or 10 feet) and then don't light it.

Here are some things to consider regarding the poses:

#1 her hat is shading her face. I think a model's portfolio should be all about her face, so shading it is not the best. If she wants to wear a hat, have her push it way back to sort of frame her face.

#4 her hair is covering part of her face (same objection as above).

All of these seem to have her in 3/4 profile, and any modeling agency will want to see her face in a variety of angles. (straight on, looking left, hair pulled back, etc.)

There's nothing wrong with red on red. I think it could potentially work well. But the first thought that came to my mind when I saw these was Olan Mills. Having such a dated first impression is not good.

@photoguy99 - do you disagree that red on red can work? or that it reminds me of 80s studio backgrounds?

I'm just slappin the disagree button like a monkey with tourette's, truth be know.

Most reactions

Back