My first try

First off, thanks everyone for the kind words and the honest critique.

#2 is great! Can you tell us how you set this up? Lighting? Flash?

The shot was set up with two 500wt hot lights, umbrellaed, set about 4ft from the baby. One set at camera left and one set at camera right. Both were about 8 inches higher than the baby. Mom was draped with a black cloth with only her hands sticking out to hold the baby. I metered off of the brightest part of the baby and then focused on her eyes. This blacked out the sheet and exposed the baby well.

The shot was a lot easier to take than I first thought it would be. I agree with Derrel that the pose is overdone and a bit gimmicky, but it sells. If I plan on making a living from photography one day, I will have to learn all the "gimmicky" and "popular" shots as well as my own artistic ones.

Again, Derrel is spot on with his critique. This forum could use a few more like him. :thumbup:

I agree with Derrel that the pose is overdone and a bit gimmicky, but it sells. If I plan on making a living from photography one day, I will have to learn all the "gimmicky" and "popular" shots as well as my own artistic ones.

Completely agree with this, just because something has been done before a hundred or even a thousand times, that's no reason for someone else to not try it as well. There is a reason some things get done over and over and that is because they work, and as you say... If you plan on making money you have to give the people what they want, no matter how kitch or old hat it is in your own opinion.

As for my opinion on these photos.... They are both awesome, #1 having the complete cuteness it does and #2 as a perfect photograph that will hold a memory of your wee one.

Most reactions

Back