My first wedding coming up in a month

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to pick your customers. I choose rich people.

polo shot for rich people. A polo hat is over priced. It is the same as a walmart hat but marketed to the rich. this is what I do. it works.

People hate me, but when I go to the bank I laugh at those people. One day I will get to retire early.

dollar store markets to the cheap. Thats cool too, but I would rather market to the rich. the USA is a free world and your capable of doing anything you want. I advise you to think outside the box and you will do better.

If I thought like you guys, My pockets would be less full. I'm trying to travel, it's hard to do that will pockets that are not full.

Go watch There Will Be Blood. You will be Daniel Plainview if you do, in fact, retire early.

You have to pick your customers. I choose rich people.

Congratulations, you just answered your own question. Apparently you are not choosing rich enough people. To make more money, you need to pick richer people. Or just drop the rich people, go with the wealthy ones.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7RzcdDcMs[/ame]

Go watch There Will Be Blood. You will be Daniel Plainview if you do, in fact, retire early.

thank you.

I will give you some solid advice.. You pictures need alot of work. They are lifeless.

You should get photoshop cs4, dont get cs5 yet, because there are not alot of tutorials.

Go to lynda.com and watch everything chris orgwig made a video on. My photos may suck, but least you would be able to make some change off of them.

You could use the change to help a charity.

I know there are some people on the board who like my art I've hard them say it looks like a mag or I like the colors. If you want to learn how to do this go lynda.com chris orgwig videos are legit.

video is good.

Want to say thanks to all the people that rode this thread out with me... it's been fun.

I've learned my art is overpriced.

I'm going to fail.

My grammar is I don't remember the word, but it's bad

I hope all you guys have had a blast. I would like to take this time and say I'm sorry that i have been successful and I have weddings lined up and am being paid what a "pro" charges. I wish this was not the case and that things could be different, but god forbid people like my art and want to pay good money for it.

Any way guys thanks for the chat. I have wasted my time today but i did enjoy it.

video is good.

Want to say thanks to all the people that rode this thread out with me... it's been fun.

I'm going to fail.

I hope all you guys have had a blast. I would like to take this time and say I'm sorry that i have been successful and I have weddings lined up and am being paid what a "pro" charges. I wish this was not the case and that things could be different, but god forbid people like my art and want to pay good money for it.

Any way guys thanks for the chat. I have wasted my time today but i did enjoy it.
:er:

ass

video is good.

I'm going to fail.

You can't be that busy if you are on here all this time

:(

Last edited:
Wow, Seth, you've created almost the perfect storm!!! One of the things Big Twinkie posted a few days ago has really stuck in my mind, and it was this, to paraphrase, "People are used to seeing craptastic photos on Facebook, on myspace, and other places. Because of all the bad photos people are used to seeing everywhere, people are really enthused whenever you take even a moderate amount of care with photos these days."

So, I think that explains the $3,000 price tag you're able to command. If your prices are higher than the other guys, you must be "better" than the other guys. That is pretty much the way most people will evaluate photographers. The market today is filled with bottom-feeders working off of Craigslist and Facebook and super market bulletin boards and word of mouth referrals. MY neice is young and is getting married this August...her "photographer" is a 30-something woman who has a Facebook studio page,and she charges $900 for a basic wedding package, and she is an absolutely ATROCIOUS shooter. Totally,totally fracking AWFUL GARBAGE, shot after shot. And yet, my niece was happy with the awful engagement photos this young professional shooter charged her for.

Anyway, in today's market, almost anybody can charge money for photography services. Most people today are unable to differentiate between a GWAC or MWAC and a trained professional photographer. Despite the fact that you yourself were asking , "What is a F stop?" [SIC] just yesterday, I'm not surprised that you can charge $3k for a package in today's wedding market. Good luck! I've enjoyed reading your perfect storm thread! Keep on studying, and learning your f/stops and other basic terminology.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/207695-what-f-stop.html

Just goes to show, that you don't need to know the measurements of fstops to be able to make the same money as a pro.

We're talking about people, if your intelligent you know people are not intelligent. Then you find the art the want and make it.

Also derrel, you present yourself as a "Pro" you seem to act like you know it all on every post. WHich is not bad, you may.

I would like to see some of your photos man. Can you post a link. I want to see what this pro photography is suppose to look like. Also can you let us know how much you charge for you weddings.

I think it has more to do than with people seeing a high price and falling for it. People say my style is like the magazine. Not that I think it is but the customer says it. I think if you have a style people like, they will put doe out for it.

I have no idea what pro photography looks like, but I know what I want a photo to look like and the people are buying it. So it's win win for me.

But derrel post a link to some "Pro" photography. YOu know alot about equipment, but I want to see your art. I have never seen it.

If you could just pic any price like you guys are saying, everyone would be doing it.

The fact is you can not. If people quit paying three grand I have to go down, Thats why people settle on their prices.

If everyone says yes, your prices are to low, if everyone says no your prices or to high. I have a finance degree so I learn all about economics. It seems alot of you guys do not have a basic understanding for economics. I know this is photography but economics applies to every business.

The market levels out. The market decides what happens. So if I'm over pricing, people will quit paying. And people pick me because my style not my price.

If ben long hair was charging three grand, no one would buy it. We can't just say because you have a high price people think it's legit and buy it.

Some people like my photos. I know that sucks to think, but it's not the price of my art they like, its the art.

I'm an artist. some people hate it, some people buy it.

If it makes you feel better to say it's because the price is high and they are being fooled, then i guess that'll work

Read my sig file Seth. I do not present myself as a "Pro". I just happen to have learned a thing or two about photography since I became interested in it in 1973, which would be about 15 years before you were born back in 1988. I have around 3,000 photos on-line.The last wedding I shot as the primary shooter was in 1990, when you were two years old. The first wedding I shot as a primary was 1977. I charged $550 for weddings in the mid-1980's, which was more money then than it might seem like these days.

I do see your "Style". My links are in my profile Seth. I think you really need to learn more about what "a F stop is" before claiming you really know your chit. Seriously. I would never trust you in challenging lighting, like dappled sunlighting or strong backlighting or side-lighting, because frankly, I do not think you have the technical chops to even figure out how to calculate the needed amount of flash fill-in. After all, you're been shooting photos for three whole months...

If you can get $3,000 in today's market, that's cool. But your three months' worth of "experience" doesn't really carry much weight with me. Asking "what is a F stop?" and then within a day or two proclaiming that you are a qualified, skilled shooter....does not inspire confidence within me, but then again, I have different criteria for evaluating photographers than the typical Facebook-Myspace-Craigslist client who texts her booking request.

If you could just pic any price like you guys are saying, everyone would be doing it.

The fact is you can not. If people quit paying three grand I have to go down, Thats why people settle on their prices.

If everyone says yes, your prices are to low, if everyone says no your prices or to high. I have a finance degree so I learn all about economics. It seems alot of you guys do not have a basic understanding for economics. I know this is photography but economics applies to every business.

The market levels out. The market decides what happens. So if I'm over pricing, people will quit paying. And people pick me because my style not my price.

If ben long hair was charging three grand, no one would buy it. We can't just say because you have a high price people think it's legit and buy it.

Some people like my photos. I know that sucks to think, but it's not the price of my art they like, its the art.

I'm an artist. some people hate it, some people buy it.

If it makes you feel better to say it's because the price is high and they are being fooled, then i guess that'll work

How old are you? 12?

You do know, don't you, that wedding photographers are not considered 'pros' by most true professional photographers.

I'd like to see whether you could photograph silverware, appliances, or any kind of product. That takes both experience and talent, not to mention lots of experience and training.

I bet you are fine with people mugging in front of the camera, tilting the camera at a crazy angle, anything but what requires sensitivity, patience, skill, and timing. How about the mother's tears during the ceremony?

I don't think you have a clue about anything, 'Seth'.

Last edited:
Derrel, no doubt there are things I can not do.

I'm smart enough to plan the wedding around me. If they do not want to do that I'm fine with that and I go to the next client.

People who pay three grand for pictures want them to be perfect so if you tell them You want to move where something is going down, then they will listen to you. they trust you.

So if there is difficult back lighting, I would move them to a place where there is not difficult back lighting.

Lighting is not difficult as people make it out to be. Don't get me wrong it can get advance. But you don't have to go advance at a wedding, you and I know there are different ways of doing things and I am going to choose the easiest way.

I have set down with the wedding people I'm doing in a month and went over how things are going to go. The people I have booked have all been wonderful with me. They have given me freedom.

If there is a lighting situation I can not handle, I don't mess with that wedding. Makes sense doesn't it?

I can handle light, I've shot in low light places almost everyday since i got my job with the news paper.

I understand if someone is scared of hiring a three month photographer. They see my portfolio and they choose me over people who have been in the area for some time.

It comes down to style. who cares if you can work with crazy light if your style isn't wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back