My first wedding consultation....

Nessy024

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone im meeting my first client tomorrow. They are perfectly aware I have no experince shooting a wedding. But they love my pictures. I have full confidence in myself to shoot a wedding though. I dont have any products to show or anything but I was wondering what are some things to talk about during the consultation? Any advice?

Do you have insurance? a business license, tax id, contracts, release forms, adequate equipment, adequate knowledge? Any of these things?

Please post some shots..... :)

Talk about and walk through your contract for one.

Do you have insurance? a business license, tax id, contracts, release forms, adequate equipment, adequate knowledge? Any of these things? Please post some shots..... :)
I have all of that except insurance. You can see my portfolio at vanessajulie.com.

Do you have insurance? a business license, tax id, contracts, release forms, adequate equipment, adequate knowledge? Any of these things?

Please post some shots..... :)

yikes thats is a lot of red tape !

No wedding advice, but a tip for your website: I'd change the first image that appears on the homepage slideshow. It does nothing to your advantage. IMHO, if I were a potential client, that image alone would stop me from inquiring further.

From one of the forum moderators in this thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum/272413-critique-galleries-now-open.html:

Furthermore I'd like to strongly recommend that people posting beginner questions regarding Photography Businesses should be "Shop Talk" in the business section, not the beginners section up here.
The Business District

Then in this thread - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum/257684-notice-use-beginners-forum.html
In addition I would like to remind members who are working photographers (be you highly experienced or beginners in the photography working world) that you should be posting all relevant threads/subjects on professional work in the following site subsection
The Business District

I don't think you are ready to shoot weddings... but if the bride knows that you lack experience, and doesn't want pro quality work.. then I wish you luck!

I see a lot of soft photos, White balance issues, and poor composition on your site! Not trying to be rude.. but I would suggest shooting as a second shooter for an experienced pro for at least a year or two.. and see how it goes.

Your site is also very slow... I have a very fast internet connection... and I got tired of waiting.

Some nice shots in your portfolio but also some not-so-nice.
It doesn't seem that your portfolio is aimed at selling your business stuff.

Some nice shots in your portfolio but also some not-so-nice.
It doesn't seem that your portfolio is aimed at selling your business stuff.

Exactly what I was trying to say. A website should only be the best of your best work. The ability to self edit is so very important; it's also one of the hardest things to do.

Well i do edit each photo to the full....they are my favorites and my clients are very happy with them...can you tell me a photo in particular

Don't shoot your first wedding for someone you don't know. Start out slow, unofficially second shoot for a friend (who has a hired photographer), second shoot for a *real* photographer, shoot other events first. If you screw up a wedding, it will not only likely be your last because that person will smear your name like peanut butter on bread, but it will also literally RUIN a very expensive and special day for someone.

Well i do edit each photo to the full....they are my favorites and my clients are very happy with them...can you tell me a photo in particular
The orange baby is a good start.

Nessy... if you can't look at your photos and tell which ones are less than technically perfect.... you are definitely not ready to shoot as a professional....

Don't shoot your first wedding for someone you don't know. Start out slow, unofficially second shoot for a friend (who has a hired photographer), second shoot for a *real* photographer, shoot other events first. If you screw up a wedding, it will not only likely be your last because that person will smear your name like peanut butter on bread, but it will also literally RUIN a very expensive and special day for someone.

Not to mention.. SUE the hell out of you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back