My frist pictures

picasso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey !

I'm new to Photography and I just bought Nikon D50, I have not used any SLR befor.

I 'd like to get critique on these picutres,

dsc0010ij2.jpg

dsc0013tk4.jpg:

dsc0013tk4.jpg

Thanks in advance

Your thread has been moved to the Landscape Gallery since it does not follow the Critique Gallery guidelines.
You may post one image or variations of it per thread in the Critique Gallery.

Welcome to TPF!! :)

Welcome!
Glad to have you here. I really like your photos that you posted. You have some great use of DOF there; looking forward to seeing more of your shots!

Hearty Welcome Picasso,
For a first SLR use, I think the shot is superior. Though focus has to be adjusted still, which you can gain with experience. I think you are using the 18-55mm kit lens.
Hope you shall have fun in TPF.
ravi.

Hiya Picasso and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
Congratulations on getting (and successfully using) your first SLR.
You got the idea of DOF (depth of field) right, it shows.
You used the on-camera flash on the first of your two flower pics, I gather? It makes the flower a bit flat in appearance now... do you also use some kind of post processing software to mildly adjust your once scanned-in pics a little? That first could do with some darkening... only a bit.

The second is nice, you captured the red very well... it is hard to get red flowers right, you know!

In the course of time you will hear more and more people tell you about "too centred subjects" in the frame ... and maybe you will find out for yourself that after a while you begin to find your own pics with flowers smack in the middle of the frame a little boring ... this is so because our eyes/brain like pics to be a bit off-centre. So a subject - even though best focused when it is in the very centre of your viewfinder - should always be somewhere off centre. Imagine you'd put a grid of thirds over your frames, horizontal thirds and vertical thirds. Subjects are best placed on the imaginary cross lines of those thirds, either to the upper or lower right or upper or lower left. That is called "The Rule of Thirds".

Thank you for your comments

ravikiran said:
Hearty Welcome Picasso,
For a first SLR use, I think the shot is superior. Though focus has to be adjusted still, which you can gain with experience. I think you are using the 18-55mm kit lens.
Hope you shall have fun in TPF.
ravi.

Yes, I use 18-55mm lens

LaFoto said:
Hiya Picasso and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
Congratulations on getting (and successfully using) your first SLR.
You got the idea of DOF (depth of field) right, it shows.
You used the on-camera flash on the first of your two flower pics, I gather? It makes the flower a bit flat in appearance now... do you also use some kind of post processing software to mildly adjust your once scanned-in pics a little? That first could do with some darkening... only a bit.

The second is nice, you captured the red very well... it is hard to get red flowers right, you know!

In the course of time you will hear more and more people tell you about "too centred subjects" in the frame ... and maybe you will find out for yourself that after a while you begin to find your own pics with flowers smack in the middle of the frame a little boring ... this is so because our eyes/brain like pics to be a bit off-centre. So a subject - even though best focused when it is in the very centre of your viewfinder - should always be somewhere off centre. Imagine you'd put a grid of thirds over your frames, horizontal thirds and vertical thirds. Subjects are best placed on the imaginary cross lines of those thirds, either to the upper or lower right or upper or lower left. That is called "The Rule of Thirds".

I used a short focal length just to concentrate on the subject. I think DOF worked good, I mean for the first time shootings :)

I have not used any editing on them.

going to avoid centred-subjects,

Thanks for the advices

Very nice - try taking them at a 3/4 angle next time to see the inside of the flower a bit. A profile like that is a bit '' empty ''.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back