My Latest Night Attempt

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took another trip out late at night. This time to Tipsoo Lake. Unfortunately, I think there is apparently quite a bit of light pollution behind Rainier, though I can't really figure out what from. On the plus side, I didn't see any elk or deer alongside the road, so it was a nice drive. I did hear a bear or elk huff at me from not far away. Needless to say, I decide it was time to pack in at that point :)

I think my struggle now is in getting the sky to look dark. Everything turns out more of a light brown. When I adjust the white balance, I can get it a bit bluer, but not the black that I want the sky to be. Suggestions? Thoughts? Comments?

Milky Way Lake by RxForB3, on Flickr

Tipsoo Stars by RxForB3, on Flickr

Rainier Stars by RxForB3, on Flickr

I think I learned that I need to refocus EVERY time I move to a different spot. I think that last shot (the first of the night) is the most in focus for the stars (hence why they're so small).

Overall very nice! I like the fact that the sky isnt black because then it would blend it with the trees. I like the contrast. I am sure others might point out some technical problems, however I think the subject and composition are good enough for me as it is. Wow, that is a lot of stars, thats for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

I love two and three, but might consider cropping the second to remove some of the star reflections while still including asmuch of the tree reflections as possible.

I do like that edit, but the green seems a bit "too green" if ya know what I mean. Perhaps try to dial it back in post. There's also a little blue streak in the tree line, close the right hand side that could do with cloning out.

^ Like the edit better. Like the green for some reason in that one, but maybe a tone it down a tad.

how long are the exposures (too lazy to go to flickr to check exif data lol)

Thanks for tge comments so far. Most were at 25 second exposures. Though I think one was 20 sec (third one I think).

I should be able to tone down the green pretty easily.

Jowensphoto, do you prefer the second shot or would you still crop?

Actually, it was the second photo that was 20 seconds...

I'd crop. Just enough to keep the tree reflections and get rid of most of the star reflections. They pull my eye away from an otherwise really nice scene.

First I'm a total amateur so I wont make any technical comments, having said that, very cool work. I just moved to WA from Spain my D300 is in need of service (prob shutter) but I can't wait to get out and shoot. I'll have to pick your brain later about where to go and whats cool. I really wanna try to catch the Salmon run. Again bro, nice work.

Most reactions

Back