My new equipment

Palyriot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I got my new equipment today. I switched over to digital finally.

I got:
Nikon D40
Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II
Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Slik U9000 tripod
Nikon Gadget Bag

DSC_0001.jpg

The equipment isn't top end obviously, but it works great for me for now. I'm currently waiting on an AF-S 50mm to become available, but until then I'm good.

I took quite a few pictures and will show some. I'm not really looking for C&C, but if you have any go ahead. I wasn't trying to compose the raccoon, he was hiding too much. I know flower macros are getting lame, but they were my first few photos to see how the lens perform.

1.)
DSC_0045.jpg

2.)
DSC_0076.jpg

3.)
DSC_0080.jpg

4.)
DSC_0002.jpg

5.)
DSC_0006.jpg

6.)
DSC_0071.jpg

Those are some nice shots! I have the 18-55 and 55-200 combo as well, and it really is great. Best of lucking learning all the ins & outs of your new camera! (and believe me, there are plenty to learn :))

Those are some nice shots! I have the 18-55 and 55-200 combo as well, and it really is great. Best of lucking learning all the ins & outs of your new camera! (and believe me, there are plenty to learn :))

Yah, I've looked at it pretty extensively today, but I'm sure there are a couple of things I have missed. I've learned the basics of photography--shutter speed, aperture, etc.--but want to learn more about composure. Most of the shots I did of the sunset and such I tried to use the rule of thirds if it's not obvious. The raccoon was pretty cool though. He got within 3 or 4 feet of me, but it was dark and I didn't have the settings ready. All part of being an amateur.

Thanks

Number 6 looks exactly like a post I saw a month or so ago. Did you post that before with different camera?

Yep, went back to the same place and took a few more shots. I thought someone might post that. You can really see a difference from the film to digital. I was about 40 or 50 feet to the right in the new photo though because the tide was up about 40 or 50 feet. It was also quite a bit darker in the old one. Based on the clouds in the new one, I think I need a polarizer. The old lens had a UV filter on it.

Edit: I just realized that the point in the first one is actually under water in the second one. I can see the water level is up 4 or 5 feet in the second one.

sunset.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

The new one is nice but I would like to see if you can try for the same shot you did with film. First one is still money IMO.

The new one is nice but I would like to see if you can try for the same shot you did with film. First one is still money IMO.

Thanks, I'll print the picture, bring it with me, and try to recreate it soon. I'll have to wait for low tide though. After looking at tide charts, it looks like I'll have to wait some time, because high tide is around sunset lately. It looks like the 12th or 13th would be good.

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi
West Coast -> Lummi Island (The island the photo is looking at)

I just like the whole silhouette of the land mass because it puts the focus on horizon etc. I like simple I guess.

wow, like that last shot

Thank you, but I do agree with the other, the old one looked better. Really though, thank you. I think I will go back to this location and shoot some better sunsets and actually leave time for atleast 30 minutes after sunset. I will snap quite a few more pictures of that single piece of land that you guys seem to love. I'll surely come up with something much better.

Most reactions

Back