My Niece | Fall | Sun Flares |

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry @sscarmack for stealing your way of naming threads.. don't hate me for it. :)

Anyway!

My sister wanted a photo of my niece this evening, so I quick setup my gear and snapped a few. Midway through the ten minute shoot the sun peeked through the trees and made this really cool flare, and she smiled so cutely at the same time.

Nikon D800
Nikon 85mm 1.8G
Nikon SB600
Nikon SB700
Pocketwizards

Flashes in a 60" shoot through camera left.

Woooooooooo! by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Also.. if you're interested, I posted a new blog-post about todays adventure.

Family | East Bay Bike Path | 10-12-14 — Red Skies Photography

Cheers!
Jake

Last edited:
That's a fun shot. She looks like my granddaughter.

Technically speaking it's not the best--the framing is a bit sloppy and the angle is a bit low, but it's most definitely a cute/fun shot.

Cheers!
Jake

She is adorable. The dog shots on your blog are so cute.

And she looks like a billboard girl.

GRAS5251-M.jpg

Cute shot
And love the sun flare too

Technically speaking it's not the best--the framing is a bit sloppy and the angle is a bit low, but it's most definitely a cute/fun shot.

Cheers!
Jake

Cute, fun shot, yes, but you hit the nail on the head with what you said about the angle.

Your WB is super cool on her and needs to be warmed up.

I'm also curious as to what the SOOC shot looks like, because that sun flare looks seriously unnatural... like you maybe attempted to enhance it in photoshop?

Cheers!
Jake

Cute, fun shot, yes, but you hit the nail on the head with what you said about the angle.

I'm also curious as to what the SOOC shot looks like, because that sun flare looks seriously unnatural... like you maybe attempted to enhance it in photoshop?

Ready to be impressed?

8e8669ecfb7b1325f51a7cceaf7a3e95.jpg

That's in camera. Not one thing was photoshopped about that flare. Cool, isn't it?

And yeah, I was shooting low. I should have added the gold reflector into my umbrella. I should have used a longer lens. I should have shot from eye level or above. But I didn't. Maybe it was laziness--I had just gotten home from biking most of the day, and had about 10 minutes to setup and only a few minutes to honestly shoot. Call it laziness, call it inexperience, just don't call it my best shot.

But sometimes, cuteness is important too. Subject matter, while not over riding technical perfection, is important. And to me this is an adorable shot. No, not a GOOD image, but an adorable one of a sweet moment with a nifty flare.

Man.... I'm talkative when tired...

Cheers!
Jake

Ready to be impressed?

That's in camera. Not one thing was photoshopped about that flare. Cool, isn't it?

And yeah, I was shooting low. I should have added the gold reflector into my umbrella. I should have used a longer lens. I should have shot from eye level or above. But I didn't. Maybe it was laziness--I had just gotten home from biking most of the day, and had about 10 minutes to setup and only a few minutes to honestly shoot. Call it laziness, call it inexperience, just don't call it my best shot.

But sometimes, cuteness is important too. Subject matter, while not over riding technical perfection, is important. And to me this is an adorable shot. No, not a GOOD image, but an adorable one of a sweet moment with a nifty flare.

Funny thing is, I like your SOOC shot better. :biglaugh: The crop is better and your .jpg preview settings make it look warmer. Or maybe it's the shot of the shot that makes it look warmer. Either way... I like it better. :lol: :sexywink:

Cheers!
Jake

Ready to be impressed?

Funny thing is, I like your SOOC shot better. :biglaugh: The crop is better and your .jpg preview settings make it look warmer. Or maybe it's the shot of the shot that makes it look warmer. Either way... I like it better. :lol: :sexywink:

Maybe I need to calibrate my monitor. Everyone says my images are always cool. I can't tell if it's just my style or if it's my monitor...

Cheers!
Jake

Ready to be impressed?

Maybe I need to calibrate my monitor. Everyone says my images are always cool. I can't tell if it's just my style or if it's my monitor...

Then you need to calibrate your monitor. :lol:

There's a difference between your images being on the cooler side of WB, and your subject being purple. The edited image you posted she's straight up purple/blue, haha.

If that's a consistent feedback you're getting... I'd check your monitor. :sexywink:

Cheers!
Jake

Ready to be impressed?

Then you need to calibrate your monitor. :lol:

There's a difference between your images being on the cooler side of WB, and your subject being purple. The edited image you posted she's straight up purple/blue, haha.

If that's a consistent feedback you're getting... I'd check your monitor. :sexywink:

See, I didn't see it as purple. So maybe our blue is a different hue? Sue? Loo?

Most reactions

Back