My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit

Not too long ago a mother posted a photo of her child for c&c. A forum member thought they'd be a sport and change the shape of the child. The mother was offended and the folks in the thread kind of lashed out even though she allowed edits.Thoughts?

Because I find that the majority of the time, people butcher photos in the name of enhancing here.
This is the reason I have it set that way.

It doesn't seem to be as common anymore, but it used to be that anytime you posted a picture, the first replies were crappy edits of your picture.

see i always get physced out by it! like there was a picture just a week ago that someone posted that i thought i could have done something with but since he had do not edit checked i was scared to even ask...

I've seen maybe 5 total edits in the almost 2 years I've been here that were better than the original. If someone critiques my work then I'll use YouTube or other tutorials to fix. I don't learn better by seeing someone else's butchering it but if someone tells me what they don't like then I like to figure it out on my own. Imagine that...someone who doesn't need hand holding.

I just don't like my images hosted all over the place. I realize someone can grab it and upload it anyway, but that is what it is.

I can see both sides of this argument. I dont really see that its that big a deal either way though, its just a matter of how comfortable a person is with sharing their work. For me personally as someone new to photography I feel like it can only help me and if i dont like the "new" edit then who cares! No harm done.

are we talking about photos imbedded/uploaded for critique and comment or photos in the gallery?
and is noob-status a function post count, join date, or photographic skill-set?

I'm not saying I'm great nor am I saying that I have nothing to learn. I will say that when I post an image on a forum it has had some thought put into it and at that time I'm relatively pleased with the results. I'm not against people showing me how to make my shots better but I prefer to decide who has the right to make changes to them and who doesn't. Ask and I'll most likely say "Yes".

There's also the fact that I don't need people telling me how to "Fix" something in Photoshop or Lightroom or something else that I don't use.

I don't think I've ever been asked and said NO, to anyone who wanted to edit my images.
Usually if they ask, I just let them do it. No big deal.

Just ask Gipson. Fooker made one of my pics look like a bad episode of Gilligans Island.

I don't think I've ever been asked and said NO, to anyone who wanted to edit my images.
Usually if they ask, I just let them do it. No big deal.

Just ask Gipson. Fooker made one of my pics look like a bad episode of Gilligans Island.

You mean this one? The one where you said a STORM was rolling in.. and I just couldn't see it in your original? So I emphasized it a bit! lol!
Storm1.jpg

from this one

6413607951_f8a0de63e3_b.jpg

Speak of the devil.
There he is now.

Oh yeah. I'm sure.
If you saw what he did at the time............believe me it was good for a GOOD laugh

I am glad it made you laugh.. it was meant too! :)

Last edited:
Wow, Charlie...Great Edit!!!:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back