My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit

My question is... why does it bother you so much? :lol:

I didn't say it bothers me. I said I wonder why people do it. I've seen it a bunch of times where KmH wanted to edit someone's photo to show them what a much improved version would look like but the person wouldn't allow edits so they end up losing out. I think beginners who use that setting cheat themselves out of a valuable learning tool. That's all.

Here's a question though! If you someone edits an image for you, it is ethical to lay claim for the quality of the photo? Is it still completely your photo or should you give credit?

I'm guessing it still your photo. From the way I've hear it PP is just the modern day form of film processing. You don't give wal-mart credit when you develop your prints.

What do you think?

I get your point--it's all just post-processing, whether it's a lab or a computer software program, but personally, for digital photos, I wouldn't USE someone else's edited version of MY photo anywhere that might even give the impression it was my work. I'd only use it to learn how to do the same thing myself and then I might post the result somewhere else.

Because I find that the majority of the time, people butcher photos in the name of enhancing here.

ph0enix said:
I didn't say it bothers me. I said I wonder why people do it. I've seen it a bunch of times where KmH wanted to edit someone's photo to show them what a much improved version would look like but the person wouldn't allow edits so they end up losing out. I think beginners who use that setting cheat themselves out of a valuable learning tool. That's all.

I have to say KmH has helped me so much by editing some of my photos and telling me how he did it and sending me links. Peano had also helped me tremendously with my editing abilities.

I can understand why some people do it though. Some don't want a bunch of newbies playing with their work. But...for newbies it is a valuable tool.

My question is... why does it bother you so much? :lol:

I think, in my time here, I had one person still not allow an edit after asking. I put them on ignore. If I can't visually show what I am talking about, when they asked for help, well, I won't bother with them in the future.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-ok-edit.html?highlight=Photos+not+ok+to+edit
I like how you think: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...oto-gallery/188489-my-photos-not-ok-edit.html
Old thread, same title. LOL

Last edited:
Chiller said it best (and most of you have no idea of who I speak of) ....... My Camera, My Vision.

It's nice to be asked and if asked by someone I get along with, I usually don't have a problem.

For newbies, I suggest to open up for edits until you have a handle on things.

I'm wondering why so many people use that setting. It hinders your learning process, IMO.

Agreed. It shows that the person has closed his/her mind already. No point in giving that person feedback.

Helen B said:
My reason is very simple. Someone edits one of my photos. It looks much better, because I am such a bad photographer and a blind slug could do Photostrop, or whatever it is called, better than I can. I lose my job when the client discovers she can get better pictures, cheaper from someone else. I wallow in self despair, spend all my money on gin, and can't afford to feed the cats. Do you want two innocent kitties to go hungry? Well do you?

Nooooo kitties ;(

Here's a question though! If you someone edits an image for you, it is ethical to lay claim for the quality of the photo? Is it still completely your photo or should you give credit?

I'm guessing it still your photo. From the way I've hear it PP is just the modern day form of film processing. You don't give wal-mart credit when you develop your prints.

What do you think?

I get your point--it's all just post-processing, whether it's a lab or a computer software program, but personally, for digital photos, I wouldn't USE someone else's edited version of MY photo anywhere that might even give the impression it was my work. I'd only use it to learn how to do the same thing myself and then I might post the result somewhere else.

I feel the same. I don't neccessarily think there is wrong with using someone's edit, but I personally like to examine the edits done to my photos and try to match what someone else did if I like the edit.

good or bad, my photo works are my art form and I don't want anyone just "fixing" my art without the decency of asking first. For that and only that reason. If asked, and I have been, I allow you to show me your take :D

good or bad, my photo works are my art form and I don't want anyone just "fixing" my art without the decency of asking first. For that and only that reason. If asked, and I have been, I allow you to show me your take :D

Agree with your points. Don't mind if someone offers their interpretation if I'm asked first. But I have seen edits that butcher my photos (which has happened on this forum) that were intended to "fix" my work.

That being said, I'm open to seeing others interpretations. I just don't like seeing radical deviations that I find are in poor taste.

I really don't care if people want to show me their version of any of my photos. The original is still my version and nothing anyone else does to it can change that.

I don't get why someone would get so worked up about it... If the new version looks crappy, then so what? Like I said, it's someone else's version, not yours. If you like the results, then use the new info you've learned. If you don't like it, ignore it and be secure in the fact that yours is better. If it's something I don't want people messing with, I probably wouldn't post it on any forums anyway.

I agree with the general consensus that for a person new to photography it does them a great disservice to not allow their photo's to be edited. For the seasoned photographers I guess it's their prerogative to now allow their photos to be edited.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back