Natural Light - NSFWish

oldmacman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mcavoyphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been so accustomed to working with strobes lately, that I haven't even considered available light, even outside. Here are a few where I consciously choose to leave the strobes in the bag and worked with a silver reflector. Just sharing, but comment if you like.

lynnTracks-2.jpg

lynnTracks-3.jpg

lynnTracks-4.jpg

lynnTracks-5.jpg

The boot in the first one looks rather unusual, what with where it is. Not instantly recognizable as a boot. Other than that, these are pretty good. Watch your sloping horizons though.

lighting on her looks funky. Im assuming you shot early afternoon (train track shadows), and she is heavily side lit from the strobes... her face isnt always the brightest lit and the shadows fall a bit funny. I wouldnt mind if you pumped the flash power to darken the background.

lighting on her looks funky. Im assuming you shot early afternoon (train track shadows), and she is heavily side lit from the strobes... her face isnt always the brightest lit and the shadows fall a bit funny. I wouldnt mind if you pumped the flash power to darken the background.
Op says strobes was in the bag...

#2 my fav of the set. Good use of the reflector is my guess.

On a side note, when is a woman fully dressed NSFW? People are a little too sensitive :D

The first photo is really bringing this set down...the boots just do not "read" right...too much is in shadow...

I find the rest of the shots rather demeaning toward women...and I'd love to see more from this set...is that a terrible thing to say??? I mean, in this age of Kim Kardashian, Egotastic, The Chive, Lady Gaga, Jersey Shore, and so on?

Op says strobes was in the bag...

Yep, no strobes for this set of images. I did use them a little later when the sun started to sink, but I did want the practice. The other part of the equation was the silver reflector, also mentioned in the OP.

@ Derrel... Thanks, I could flood the forum with shots from this session. We worked for almost 3 hours and took over 400 images. She is very photogenic :)

Here's a tweak to the first boots shot. Thanks for the feedback as sometimes you get so overwhelmed with the volume of images you miss the odd one with a missed exposure.

lynnTracks-2B.jpg

Yes, this lightened-up version allows the boots to be seen better. The thing that's odd is how high the boot-tops come up...kind of not used to seeing the top of a boot that visually overlaps the mid-belly...it's just "unexpected". Yes, she's photogenic....rockin' body...I've been impressed with the light that exists there at times in Ontario...I was there 10 years ago...it was a lovely place.

My gripe: this is still way too safe for work :D I would say that the model and train tracks has been done too much to the point that it is almost a cliche of outdoor glamour. She is pretty but I'd like to see more life in her eyes rather than just squinting.

Macman, I'd trash the first shot. The shadows are just too unflattering.

#2 is my favorite by far.

You blasted her with a reflector? It must be hard for her not to squint. I hate reflector in the sun.

The boot looks out of place .. kinda like it's floating.

Besides the 'I'm trying to take a dump and look damn good doing it' look, I really like #3. I'm not sure why though. Maybe it's because it's the more provocative of the shots shown.

Oh hey look... train tracks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back