ND filter CC (of course it is water)

niccas9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time having success with using ND filters (be aware that I use the term "success" very loosely at this point). I personally like the color tones of 3 and 4 best with 4 being my favorite as far as crop, just seems that the rocks in the foreground may be a tad overexposed to me. 1 and 2 looked as if they would be better shots because the water was moving in a more dynamic path. It didn't have the mossy greens so they don't seem as vibrant to me. Please let me know what you think. Thanks so much.

IMG_2946-1.JPG

IMG_2949-1.JPG

IMG_2961-1.JPG

IMG_2969-1.JPG

I love 3,
4 would be much better if the tree thing wasn't in the way.

I think you're really narrowing down the details of using the NDs correctly. Personally, I'd prefer a slightly longer exposure in #1, but that's just me. The other 3 are spot-on for the blurred water effect, IMHO.

Thanks for the replies.

Sparky- Even with my ND filter being labeled as a 6 stop, it really isn't. I had the sun behind me blasting off of the rock and I had fstop high as it goes and was still getting parts of the shot blown out, I had to end up speeding up my shutter speed. Can you let me know what you mean about narrowing down the correct use of ND filters. Of course I am going to try the stuff just looks cool first. I know there are more uses for an ND filter but I have always been fascinated with the water shots so I thought I would try it.

Cannot believe how much the quality changes from my picture hosting site to here...geez.

.............Sparky- Even with my ND filter being labeled as a 6 stop, it really isn't. I had the sun behind me blasting off of the rock and I had fstop high as it goes and was still getting parts of the shot blown out, I had to end up speeding up my shutter speed. Can you let me know what you mean about narrowing down the correct use of ND filters. Of course I am going to try the stuff just looks cool first. I know there are more uses for an ND filter but I have always been fascinated with the water shots so I thought I would try it.................

Dial your ISO down to the lowest possible setting. You may need to purchase an ND10, or stack a polarizer if you can't get the shutter open for as long as you'd like.

Sparky - ISO was dialed down as much as possible. I need to get some more filters. I just wanted to play around with what I had to see if I could get any results. I have 0 experience in landscape photography but I want to get some practice in considering I live in between the Sierras and the Pacific. I also teach at a school so I have all summer to go on photo trips. Just need practice.

HikinMike- good to see there is a local here! Let me know if you ever want someone to tag along when you go on a hike/shoot. I dabble in some backpacking and am excited to take the camera out this summer.

I don't know what lens you're using, but you can pick up a 10-Stop B+W 58mm on Amazon for under $50. The water in 3 & 4 isn't opaque enough (IMO) . If you want that silky white water effect in the daylight, you'll need a 10-stop. In a shady area like that, you'll be looking at a minimum 30 sec exposure. Nice composition and color though.

if you could go back and shoot the same location at 1 hour after sunrise or 1 hour before sunset, you'll be surprised you can do up to 25 seconds shutter speed at between f/8 and f/12 using your 6-stop ND filter.

HikinMike- good to see there is a local here! Let me know if you ever want someone to tag along when you go on a hike/shoot. I dabble in some backpacking and am excited to take the camera out this summer.

I used to do a LOT of backpacking/hiking, but in my current state of disrepair, I'm not able to get around as I used to (read my The Photographer link). I just told my wife than I'm due for an early-morning trip to Yosemite while the meadows in the Valley still have water.

Have you ever tried to shoot Half Dome from the Central Valley?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back