Need advice tonight about a job...

GeorgiaOwl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, in my desperate state of unemployment, I've put in applications and sent in resumes to just about everyone....from construction management(my field) to retail chains, photography stores, to warehouse companies, lawn and garden centers, even to people needing a receptionist( yeah, ...i did. :) )...

and today I got my first real call-back....

Olan Mills. Photographer job.

Don't know what it pays( probably not what I was making).
Don't know how they do things.

I have heard that you work some long hours, and I have read some pretty poor reviews/impressions from people who have had portraits done there.

Now, I'm looking for advice....but you professional folks that do a helluva lot better job than any chain could, please spare me any " I hate Olan mills" stuff you may have ready to spring. It's not my first...second....fifth choice by a long shot. But it is a job. Like any large company, I'm sure alot depends on the people in the management chain you're working under.

Anyway, if anyone out there has a level-headed but honest opinion about them either way...or maybe someone out there has or does work for them and hates/loves it, could you please help me out. I'm going to call them back tomorrow unless there's a general concensus that I shouldn't...

I know, I'm asking strangers for advice, but as a whole there are alot of folks on here that seem pretty down-to-earth and sensible.

Keep in mind that my search for a job has gone nowhere, and my unemployment benefit runs out in 2 months. After that, I can afford to take a job delivering pizza at $7 an hour and it'll be better than nothing.

Thanks guys.

Here is something to consider,
It is a job; if you need it and they offer, take it.

If you do not like taking portraits like that, don’t worry about it. You can shoot for yourself after work. Even as a working professional I do not get to shoot what I want to all day. I just use my spare time to peruse my own work.

Hi GO,

that's a sh..ty situation.

My 2 cents:
if you feel you can do it for, say, a year, then the Olan Mills job sounds better than a pizza gig in the short term. If only marginally. But it'll keep you off the streets, it'll provide some income, and it'll relieve the pressure of having to take on just any job. You will also be less 'desperate', i.e. more relaxed, when you go for an interview for a REAL job. That will show. Thus increasing your odds there considerably.

Good luck.

Onlan Mills is a fine place to start a photography career. I would not (and you do not I see) expect to make lots of money also do not be surprised at the possiblity that you will not have access to any of the images you make while you work for them. I got my start doing weddings for a similar national studio and worked for them for a good many years doing just weddings and I did alot of wonderful work for them and have not a single image to show for it. I knew what I was getting into so there is no recourse but it is not an easy thing to contend with when trying to get weddings outside their purview.

Thanks JIp, and Alfred...

I know one thing I do not want, and that is another job in the failing housing industry around here. I mean, I'd take one right now, but like you were saying - i'd keep looking and try for something better.

I've read some horror stories about Olan Mills online since the day I decided to put in a resume with them. This one is located in a small town of about 4000 people, and hopefully since it's such a small town, they'll have respect for their customers and how the community views the business.

And hey JIP....I owe you an apology. Sorry for giving you such a hard time lately. :)

Whatever happens, good luck to you.

I'm fully aware of what you're going through right now and it sucks.

And hey JIP....I owe you an apology. Sorry for giving you such a hard time lately. :)
No big deal I can be a little brash at times (to say the least). If you can't take it you shouldn't dish it out right??.

Thanks Socrates.

Hey, on a lighter note (for me anyway) I was looking on their website, and I think it's some of the worst portrait work I've ever seen! I should have no trouble fitting right in! hahaha

check these out....whoa...

why are these people...what is that... green...olive....pale mocha and lime? Is that a filter? what the crap? :) haha

fam_01.jpg

and who thought THIS was a good idea?
kid_29.jpg

and ...i ....i don't know what to say about this pose....

graduation_8.jpg

There are more. I figure at least I wouldn't be the only fool in the company takin' these absurd looking shots! :)

I guess so JIP, but still....just sayin' sorry for bustin' your chops so much. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I just wanted to say sorry if I ever stepped on yours or ...somethign like that.

Know what I think? I think that this has very little to do about photography and everything to do about employment.

If it is offered to you, take the job, no matter how crappy... and if you are smart, while you are collecting some kind of a paycheck and keeping yourself out of the poorhouse, keep looking, keep sending resume's, and keep looking for a job in an area that is within your comfort zone.

I find that there are 3 ways to get a raise, but only 2 ways to get a decent and proper raise.

#1 - You get a raise at your current place of employment after being there a period of time, or accomplishing a level of acknowledged competance. This kind of raise is normally a joke, based off of something like a "cost of living" or something stupid.

#2 - Move from one job to a higher paying job. Earlier in my carreer, it was EASY to get a ten to twenty thousand dollar a year increase by moving to the "competition". In the space of 7 years, I moved 5 times and QUADRUPLED my salary. In Canada, this a more accepted thing, but in the USA, employers frown upon this. It looks to them that you will not be loyal and stay with them. They're right, becuase when offered the same or similar job for a handsome salary increase, I took it. I was not more loyal to any company than they were to me. I mean that in the good AND bad way.

#3 - My biggest salary increases came when I opened my own company started working for ME. I was sick and tired of being paid PENNIES and seeing my employer make a factor of 1000 times more from my hard work.

Now, if I want an increase, its no more difficult than to make the time to find another client and grow my own business or increase prices (I am due... I've not raised prices in 5 years, and can EASILY justify it!). I've run into the issue that I am bumping into the limitations of what I can do alone, and if I want to expand the business further, I have the choice of gowing it further, and splitting profits (in effect initially dropping my salary for a certain length of time), or staying a one pony show and not.

Hell of a good place to be, let me tell you, and the best part is? There is one boss... and it is me. When I suceed, I pat myself on the back. When I fail, I beat my own butt, then move up and on.

A quote I read on another photo form that I really like, and that is related to this forum...

"Its ok for a photographer to charge rediculously cheap prices... as long as they DON'T stay cheap!". Everyone starts out from the same place... the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah, that photo is my favorite...or something like that.

THanks Jerry P.

I went from making $20000/yr to $45000/yr in 3 years. Probably going to be back at $20000( God, I hope at least...:er: ) with this, but you're right...it's a job and it doesn't have to be forever. :)

thanks all.

have a great night.

You should move to Vancouver, Canada :) There is a huge shortage for construction managers! (I am one)
You can pretty much find a job in a day for more than $100K per year plus a company truck and gas card....depending on your experience!

Wow. Hey, no offense, but until you guys get the rules of football right and nix that government healthcare, I think I'll stay in the USA. ;)

I actually think Canada is a fine country and a beautiful one as well.
Is that $100000 USD, or does that translate into $3.45 USD with the dollar tanking now? :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back