Need advice tonight about a job...

OP,

The same situation applies to anyone in any field of choice. In 2001, I lost a very good job in the massive downsizing of the computer industry. I passed up 1 opportunity a week after in hopes to find something I'd enjoy more. It was going to be 2 years before I actually found another (1/2 the pay). It was a hard lesson to learn and I'm still digging myself out after that mess.

Take the job.. you need the money. Never be too proud.... it is a matter of just surviving. Keep the resume updated and keep the search up in the meantime. Don't forget that you too are a business in of yourself. The days of company/employee loyalties is over.. don't feel ashamed to jump if you have to.

There's a kid at one of my jobs that keeps complaining that he is in over his head in debt. I tell him to get a second job.. we work short schedules. Unfortunately, he's too proud to work a regular retail job. Thus I predict he'll be broke the rest of his life. I like the fellow but he's a bit hard headed and has fried his brain on computer games.

FYI: in those two years of unemployment, I worked for startups and non-profits for free... to keep the resume fresh. That job you found at least pays a check.

Wow. Hey, no offense, but until you guys get the rules of football right and nix that government healthcare, I think I'll stay in the USA. ;)

I actually think Canada is a fine country and a beautiful one as well.
Is that $100000 USD, or does that translate into $3.45 USD with the dollar tanking now? :)

The difference now is less than 1%, so you would have to settle for $99,500US.

As someone that was born/raised in Canada, but lived in the USA as a legal resident, both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

The thought that a broken arm would cost me $21,000 to fix if I broke it there before my insurance kicked in was my second biggest nightmare!

Up to a few years ago, I would have given the financial advantage to the USA and comfort/safety to Canada... now its financially about the same, and Canada is still (in general) safer overall than the USA.

There is good and bad everywhere, thats what I say.

I agree with JerryPH there is good and bad everywhere...

And I think Canada's healthcare system is one of its advantages! Have you seen Sicko by Michael Moore. I was shocked to see how horrible US healthcare system is.
Anyway this is off topic but JerryPH I am going to Montreal tomorrow for the Grand Prix F1 race. Any suggestions for good locations to take pictures in Montreal??

Wow. Hey, no offense, but until you guys get the rules of football right and nix that government healthcare, I think I'll stay in the USA. ;)

From what I understand, Canada's health care system is publicly funded but the services are provided by private practices.

All I know is that our health care system leaves much to be desired.

Ive had many a portrait done at Olan Mills as a child.
Scan10041.jpg

Thats me in the Black sometime in the 80's I believe.

Edit: i guess i didnt look hard enough it says 86 right there on the pic.

hehe...nice. Are those someone's glasses in the upper right corner?

The bathroom is down the hall. Third door on the left.

Gryp, I swear, that's gotta be the funniest thing I've ever read on the internet.

Jon

Um... guys I know it is funny to ridicule the photogaphy that you think you are soooo much better than but did we all forget the rules regarding the direct posting of other peoples work?. I think that rule applies wether you think the work is good or not and no matter how old it is.

Um... guys I know it is funny to ridicule the photogaphy that you think you are soooo much better than but did we all forget the rules regarding the direct posting of other peoples work?. I think that rule applies wether you think the work is good or not and no matter how old it is.

I hope that doesnt apply to me, thats a picture my family paid for.

From what I understand, Canada's health care system is publicly funded but the services are provided by private practices.

All I know is that our health care system leaves much to be desired.

ummm nope. It's a public system in all provinces, some are bringing in a secondary private system (that you pay for if you want it, otherwise use the very good public system).

PS, I also thought that looked like someone's glasses in the corner of that picture. Hilarious!

ummm nope. It's a public system in all provinces, some are bringing in a secondary private system (that you pay for if you want it, otherwise use the very good public system).

PS, I also thought that looked like someone's glasses in the corner of that picture. Hilarious!

hmm...maybe I'm misunderstanding this then:

The Canadian system is for the most part publicly funded, yet most of the services are provided by private enterprises. Most doctors do not receive an annual salary, but receive a fee per visit or service.[1] According to Dr. Albert Schumacher, former president of the Canadian Medical Association, an estimated 75 percent of Canadian health care services are delivered privately, but funded publicly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada#Government_involvement

I thought this was a photography forum.

* No general politics are allowed. If the political discussion involves photography, it may be allowed. Use common sense when posting anything of a political nature.

I thought this was a photography forum.

* No general politics are allowed. If the political discussion involves photography, it may be allowed. Use common sense when posting anything of a political nature.

The OP brought up the topic of health care. I was responding discussing health care, not politics.

Most reactions

Back