Need Help Choosing A Vintage Camera

ApertureChic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi There,

I was thinking about buying a cool vintage/antique camera for my significant other for his Birthday. I would like something that looks pretty cool that he could put up on a shelf in his office and if possible I would like to not spend more then $100.00 on it. We are both currently Nikon owners.

Can anyone recommend any cameras? There seem to be soooo many out there. I thought it might be cool to get him a camera from the year he was born (1975) I discovered the first digital camera was invented that year however it is the size of a blender and looks like old computer parts with a cassette player strapped to the side lol.....

Please help

Is it just gonna be a shelf queen or is he going to actually use it?

Shelf queen = Kodak brownie folding camera.. these look nice on a shelf and are pretty cheap.
User = old Nikon, FM would be a good choice IMO, and looks good on a shelf too. Plus you can use any non-G lenses you have on it.

example (this one's mine.. alas it's a shelf queen because they don't make the film size it takes anymore)

Kodak Autographic 2-C Jr. by bhop, on Flickr

and the FM looks similar to my FE, just doesn't have aperture priority..

Nikon FE by bhop, on Flickr

For "shelf duty" I'm a big fan of folders with an art-deco flair. The kodak bantam for example, these go for less then $100 on ebay:

$bantam.jpg

An old press camera (speed graphic) with a flashhandle is also a great decorative piece--you could probably get one in non-working condition for $100:

$graflex_20061201_141925.jpg

If you want one from his birth year (1975), the nikon f2 was the flagship model back then. You might be able to find a rough one for $100 or less. I'd suggest attaching an old flashbulb flash to it for extra decorative flair.

$5056726879_51df4bfa9a_z.jpg + $bcb.jpg

Attachments

• $Bantam.jpg
    $Bantam.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
I keep daily eBay email updates on the art deco Kodak Bantam Specials, looking for a deal on one. You find them for less than $100 on eBay? I'd love to have you link me to one! From what I've seen, they sell at more like $250. More if they're in really nice condition.

Yashica Electro 35 GTN? 35mm rangefinder made from 73-77. The GTN is all black, the GSN is chrome. GTNs command a little more money, but are still well within your price range. They take a pretty good picture, if you want to use them, too.

Look into old Russian rangefinders. Fed 2s or Kiev 4s are a good place to start. If you can find one that's already been CLA'd (cleaned, lubed and adjusted) that would be a good thing.

good luck

+1 for the FED 2. I got mine for about $60 in absolutely perfect condition, just CLA'd and with warranty, from hero4g (Andrey from Synoptics Camera Shop) on Ebay. And here are links to a FED 2 and a Zorki 4 currently listed by this seller who I highly recommend, having made multiple purchases from him in recent months. Both of these Soviet rangefinders are capable of taking outstanding photographs with their Industar 26 & 61 lenses.

FED 2 USSR LEICA Camera Industar-61 CLA WARRANTY MANUAL EXC | eBay

ZORKI 4 USSR LEICA Camera Industar-61 CLA WARRANTY MANUAL EXC | eBay

Here are my two Russian rangefinders for which I paid about $60 each.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

FED 2 (1960)
DSC01423a900pix-2.jpg

Zorki-4 (1963)
DSC01436a900pix.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
These are on my shelf, cheap, and i still use 'em. You can get them cheap!

SRW_2513.jpg

This one was free but ruined once the RAT was inside heh

SRW_2719-Edit-Edit.jpg

Buckster said:
I keep daily eBay email updates on the art deco Kodak Bantam Specials, looking for a deal on one. You find them for less than $100 on eBay? I'd love to have you link me to one! From what I've seen, they sell at more like $250. More if they're in really nice condition.

Working and mint they sell for $250+, but u can buy a non-working decorative bantam for as low as $100. Right now the lowest i see in the completed auctions is $125, but ive seen them sell for less.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back