Need help deciding which is the fourth image to submit... Make up my mind for me!

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Once again, I'm helping to judge the photography category at a local fall fair. Myself and the other judge have decided that we will each display four images in a special, non-judged class (only fair, right?) mainly to show those who entered we know something about what we're talking about.

These three images are definites:
Fair1.jpg

The Pipe Major

Fair2.jpg

In the Heat of the Night

Fair3.jpg

Jordan

The last place goes to one of these two, but I am having trouble deciding which:
Fair4.jpg

Missy

Fair5.jpg

Salvadore's Martini

Which of the last two would be your choice for #4, and (if you don't mind) why?

Thanks!

Martini. (Except who throws a maraschino cherry into a martini? Those go into Manhattans!! ;) )

Why? I think that together with the other three, you have a wide range of techniques and moods represented. And it's a fun picture.

I agree with limr. I personally like the horse pic better but in technique it's similar to Jordan's (low-key, etc.). The martini shows a different subject with different technical "stuff."

Well, I've gone back and forth several times now--honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.
I guess I'd go with the martini (though I may change my mind again before I finish this post!)--because it is a starkly different lighting scenario than the others, so as Lenny says, it shows a wide range of techniques. And, it's fun and will get people's attention.

As an aside:
You already know how much I adore your series on veterans, and that first picture is a stellar example of that whole set. Those photos really stir a very emotional response in me, plus they are just SO well done.

But man, John, that second photo, that is terrific! One of the best firefighting photos I think I've ever seen.

Martini. (Except who throws a maraschino cherry into a martini? Those go into Manhattans!! ;) )

Why? I think that together with the other three, you have a wide range of techniques and moods represented. And it's a fun picture.
Thanks. And for the record, I tried an olive, but it looked rather bleah.

They^ of course are correct about the martini photo, but I still really like the horse.

What is going on with the collar on the Jordan portrait? Did you upload the right version of that file? The burn-in on the collar is clearly visible.

I would put up Missy in the day and switch to the Martini in the evening (good thing my brother is a curator and I'm not).

The second one is spectacular!!! And I like the first one as much as I did when I saw it before (and I liked the darker version of him too). I think the B&W portrait is excellent as well.

I think the horse photo tells a story or has more 'personality'; the martini glass to me is the same thing I've seen over and over - 'everybody' does a cocktail glass with something splashing into it, as a still life or stock photo, etc. The horse image does seem a little dark (at least on here) but it has feeling or a mood or atmosphere to it. I think that's more challenging to create.

I'm enjoying picking out someone else's instead of my own! lol I narrow it down and come back and toss an imaginary dart at one.... no, not really, but I hate sometimes trying to narrow it down and just get down to the wire and have to just pick one! lol

Or yeah, get out the martini at night, when they're passing around little tidbits with toothpicks in them.

The second one is spectacular!!! And I like the first one as much as I did when I saw it before (and I liked the darker version of him too). I think the B&W portrait is excellent as well.

I think the horse photo tells a story or has more 'personality'; the martini glass to me is the same thing I've seen over and over - 'everybody' does a cocktail glass with something splashing into it, as a still life or stock photo, etc. The horse image does seem a little dark (at least on here) but it has feeling or a mood or atmosphere to it. I think that's more challenging to create.

I'm enjoying picking out someone else's instead of my own! lol I narrow it down and come back and toss an imaginary dart at one.... no, not really, but I hate sometimes trying to narrow it down and just get down to the wire and have to just pick one! lol

Other Sharon, you bring up a good point about "everybody" doing the glass with something splashing into it thing, but for me, that is all the more reason to go with it in this instance. Since these comprise the "judges' exhibit," it seems only fitting that they include something that others will very likely be submitting to the contest.

Salvadore's Martini

To round out your subject matter and range of style. Horse portrait is a very similar style to soldier portrait.

That's a thought, Sharon. Maybe consider what categories are being used for the fair exhibit.

At a fair, what do people want to see, more horses or wine? lol

John, which of the two best portrays your style? you as a photographer? For me coming down to choosing between two, I finally think - if I'm just looking at those two, which one is the best? that usually clinches it. (But then I never know how a juror will make the choices...)

I did see an interview with a couple of quilt artists/judges who said sometimes it comes down to what will work best with the exhibit, that they have to consider how all the accepted works will look displayed together.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back