Need Help Focusing On The Eyes...

Zev Steinhardt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zevsteinhardt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the cardinal rules of portrait photography is to focus on the eyes of the subject. It’s a rule that I can understand… usually the first thing a person looks at in a portrait is the eyes.
For some reason, however, I am having a great deal of difficulty in doing this. For example, take a look at this picture:

I took this shot of my cousin Gavin as he was playing at a relative’s house. I set the AF to focus on the spot where his eye was going to be, got his attention and took the picture. At the time, I thought I nailed it. However, when I saw the picture on my computer screen and blew it up, I knew that I didn’t get it after all.

This is not the first time that this has happened. For some reason, I seem to be unable to get the focus on the subject’s eyes consistently. Does anyone have any tips that can help me out?

Thanks,

Zev Steinhardt

What were your exposure/aperture settings?... it looks like a little more depth of field would have gotten you the rest of the way there...

What were your exposure/aperture settings?... it looks like a little more depth of field would have gotten you the rest of the way there...

That's actually a good question. I don't remember off the top of my head and I don't have the EXIF data attached to this photo. I was shooting with my 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens in Aperture priority mode. My guess would be that it was at f/3.5. and whatever speed the camera felt was right.

I'll get back to you with the exact EXIF data later tonight when I get home.

However, it should be pointed out that it's not just this photo... I seem to be having a problem with this in general whenever I take pictures of people.

Zev Steinhardt.

...I set the AF to focus on the spot where his eye was going to be, got his attention and took the picture...
Without any further information or EXIF data, I suspect this may be part or all of the problem. If you anticpated incorrectly, even slightly it could throw the focus off. Were you using [Canon's equivalent of] single-point AF? I suspect we'll be able to diagnose this more accurately when we have all the information.

I miss the focus on the eyes due to my bad eyes...I try re-adjusting the diopter on my 1000d, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

It is difficult to tell something about focus with these sizes; you definitely need EXIF data and also a real 100% crop of eyes, not stamp sized. However, since background details are well visible, it is not matter of DoF. It might be some motion blur if you shot with slow shutter speed. As is, I would not tell focus is the problem.

The auto focus feature needs a certain amount of light to work well.

If the subjects eyes have little light on them (raccoon eyes, or dark eye sockets, as in the example photo posted by the OP), the AF will have difficulties.

Not all auto focus points are created equal. Most of the focus points a camera has can only detect focus in a single plane, and are called regular focus points. Some can detect focus in 2 planes and are called cross-type focus points.

Cross-type focus points are more accurate than regular focus points. Entry-level cameras generally have only one, if any, cross-type focus points. If they do have one, it is usually the one in the center of the viewfinder.

The Canon XSi only has one cross-type focus point and it is the central focus point.

The data for the pic is as follows:

18-55mm lens at 40mm
1/100 second, f/5.6 (Aperture priority)
ISO 100

If the subjects eyes have little light on them (raccoon eyes, or dark eye sockets, as in the example photo posted by the OP), the AF will have difficulties.

Thanks for the info, KmH. It was a cloudy day, but I would have thought that there was quite a bit of light. Do you have any tips for getting more light into my subjects' eyes?

Zev Steinhardt

The data for the pic is as follows:

18-55mm lens at 40mm
1/100 second, f/5.6 (Aperture priority)
ISO 100

Thanks for the info, KmH. It was a cloudy day, but I would have thought that there was quite a bit of light. Do you have any tips for getting more light into my subjects' eyes?

Zev Steinhardt

1/100th for moving kids, get that up first. You aperture is already maxed at f5.6, so up your ISO and you will be able to shoot faster to freeze the motion. The whole image looks blurry when I open it up, but it may just be the size and compression.
Chine up, a reflector below the subject.

also, spot on focus is easier and more obvious when the subject is close to the lens

Most reactions

Back