NEED Help! Thoughts? Thank you in advance...

Problem is I saw the pictures and they are beautiful. My middle son is 3 and we've tested for autism, which thankfully he seems to just be a late bloomer for now, but he has some traits, and will rarely open up for anyone. She shot him laughing and hamming it up, because I was encouraging him behind her, and she was very non threatening to him... I cried when I saw the pictures because I can't capture that from him. He's normally very straight faced. Its crazy because my daughter and other son who are natural hams would not smile, but she go great pics of them too... different. 23 prints in all of our family, but only one sitting family shot I dislike which looks like the one she's going to use. Again, I could buy an album of the 23 prints for $650 and she will lay them out.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get my digital images besides paying nearly $5000+ after all is said and done... I can't afford that. I just see it as, look, I'm ordering $850.00 worth of prints, now sell me the images please because 1/2 of something is better then 100% of nothing, and I was presented this as the original included package at the auction. I will pay for them. Let's just come to an agreement on a fair price due to the misunderstanding. Am I being dumb? (besides my bad math)

Thanks everyone! Im going to try one last time to talk to her and come up with something.

While I think most of us can appreciate your perspective, there's also the photographer's point of view, which is probably something like this: "I've spent years learning and practicing my craft and I can create amazing images even under difficult circumstances. While the cost of the prints and services seem high, rental on a studio can be as much as $25/sq ft/month, insurance, book-keeping and legal services aren't cheap, and high-end finishing services are very deer as well. In addition, the photographer is proud of her work, and one of the reasons that digital files are not a 'give-away' item is because as part of her artistic vision, she wants to retain control over how they're printed. You can bet that if you took one of her files to Wal-mart, the end result would NOT be the same as the product purchased from her!

I agree that $5000 is a lot of money, but unless there was something misleading in the advertising, I'm afraid you're probably up the proverbial creek.

It's always difficult to read between the lines in these kinds of cases, but it does sound ,at least "somewhat" like the photographer is using this charity event to rip you off. As amolitor mentioned, if ALL she was offering was "the shoot", with zero products or images of any kind, I would say that she's a rip-off artist. A scammer. Perhaps a talented shooter, but also unethical and despicable.

However, YOU, if you are or were expecting to receive a whole bunch of digital images for say, $150 or perhaps a bit more, probably have unrealistic expectations. And based on what you JUST posted, now, at this point in the thread, it seems like she made many very good photos. Based on what I can gather, she's not the kind of shooter who will make a bunch of photos of the whole family, and then sell you a $200 DVD disc with a boatload of digital images...she seems like she's in the business of selling paper.

When we only get to hear one side of a story there is no way to make any firm type of judgement.

When we only get to hear one side of a story there is no way to make any firm type of judgement.

No, the photographer was aware, and she told me, " I'm a professional who photographs only the upper income demographics, like professional ball players, and you were supposed to call me to shoot within one week of the auction (news to me). Now that we are past it, since you didn't know, I'm willing to give you my photo session fees free.... I normally charge 200.00., and I'll do a holiday mini session since you said you wanted an Xmas picture. I have templates and will put you r pics. Into a card and give you 25 free, and you will have to pay for anything over. I will choose the template according to what you should do I with my pictures. I can't do what the auction was for at this point since it's after a week since the auction, I'm sorry this is all I could offer now." Ok, no one said I only had a week to shoot, wasn't written anywhere, and her consolation was a holiday mini shoot which I agreed to since I was afraid to lose all my money. Since she has templates and printer paper, it's a wash to her other then sitting fees. I did not get what I bid for. Absolutely 100% did not. No confusion, just steam rolling. I didn't think fast enough, I mentioned I really wanted the disk, but she wouldn't honor it since it had been more then a week after the auction. I didn't even get confirmation until well over a week. She then told me images were $50 per image. As time went on and she realized I just wanted images on disk, the images suddenly became medium resolution only, and only those images that I order on prints which she designs and frames or has mounted could be ordered for $50 not any others at all, and I couldn't even order any for $50 until I spent $1,500 first, then she'd let me buy them.... Etc. anyway it's costing me $850, plus I guess if I'm lucky, I get to get to BUY those 4 images on med res files... That's if she even allows me to without spending the $1,500 required to spend to buy med resolution pictures, (and I guess I will have to figure out the other 19 images, maybe the $600 8x8 board book photo album, NOT high def as she stated, the cheap one... I could buy too.... She let me know I could make monthly payments and try to pay off the price of the album.... How nice of her, and then she will print it for me sometime after I pay it off, probably 6 months or so. Then I get to buy, if I'm lucky because I'm just barely at $1,500 required to buy med res files at $50 each file... Then I still have to buy those, again, if she lets me.... Another $1000. And I'm not even sure a photo album counts for being able to buy the files. She also told me she'd give me thumbnails of all the pics, but only if I place an order, (apparently she thinks they are big enough for Facebook sharing,) but once she realized I would do that instead of buy a photo album, she NOW says I can only have thumbnails of the ones I purchase. It's freaking BS! I'm getting more angry as I type. Trust me this was full on taken advantage of.

No Ron, it was not to shoot for holiday cards, thats what in my mind I would do with the pictures., the advertisement at the charity event just said, You are bidding for a free Photoshoot, with"Her name". I asked what came with and I confirmed I would be given all images, so I outbid everyone by more then 2ce. the next highest bid was $35.... but I wanted to blow it out.
Again, I am spending $850 plus spent the $150 plus I am buying christmas cards FROM HER for for $45 for 25 cards. I specifically asked if I will get the images and the auctioneer said yes, she is a close personal friend, and presented this as something she was donating as a good cause. It wasn't until I spoke to her AFTER I bought it, that I learned of her policy. At first she would sell me the images at $50..... then it became $50 per image, then it became, medium resolution only, then it became, "Will give me the thumbnails" then it became, "only the thumbnails of that which you are purchasing, then it became, $50 per medium resolution of ONLY the prints you order IF you spend $1,500. I mean, its not right.
Also she's acting like since she charges $200 for her shoots, and I only paid $150 at the auction that she's GIVING me so much. Not bending, not honoring what was told.... etc.

And she is your close personal friend?? Wow. Just wow.
Your family struggles to make ends meet financially, and you are spending $850 plus $150 on photographs taken by your close friend? At a charity event? And you are saying it is certainly an investment ?
I always thought that "investent" is something that brings money..

I am sorry, there is something wrong with my brain.. or this whole situation is just.. mad.. I just do not get it.. :banghead:

PS Really, just cut your losses and forget about this story. Your losses are not big at the moment: $150 + 1 close personal friend.

Last edited:

No, the photographer was aware, and she told me, " I'm a professional who photographs only the upper income demographics, like professional ball players, and you were supposed to call me to shoot within one week of the auction (news to me). Now that we are past it, since you didn't know, I'm willing to give you my photo session fees free.... I normally charge 200.00., and I'll do a holiday mini session since you said you wanted an Xmas picture. I have templates and will put you r pics. Into a card and give you 25 free, and you will have to pay for anything over. I will choose the template according to what you should do I with my pictures. I can't do what the auction was for at this point since it's after a week since the auction, I'm sorry this is all I could offer now." Ok, no one said I only had a week to shoot, wasn't written anywhere, and her consolation was a holiday mini shoot which I agreed to since I was afraid to lose all my money. Since she has templates and printer paper, it's a wash to her other then sitting fees. I did not get what I bid for. Absolutely 100% did not. No confusion, just steam rolling. I didn't think fast enough, I mentioned I really wanted the disk, but she wouldn't honor it since it had been more then a week after the auction. I didn't even get confirmation until well over a week. She then told me images were $50 per image. As time went on and she realized I just wanted images on disk, the images suddenly became medium resolution only, and only those images that I order on prints which she designs and frames or has mounted could be ordered for $50 not any others at all, and I couldn't even order any for $50 until I spent $1,500 first, then she'd let me buy them.... Etc. anyway it's costing me $850, plus I guess if I'm lucky, I get to get to BUY those 4 images on med res files... That's if she even allows me to without spending the $1,500 required to spend to buy med resolution pictures, (and I guess I will have to figure out the other 19 images, maybe the $600 8x8 board book photo album, NOT high def as she stated, the cheap one... I could buy too.... She let me know I could make monthly payments and try to pay off the price of the album.... How nice of her, and then she will print it for me sometime after I pay it off, probably 6 months or so. Then I get to buy, if I'm lucky because I'm just barely at $1,500 required to buy med res files at $50 each file... Then I still have to buy those, again, if she lets me.... Another $1000. And I'm not even sure a photo album counts for being able to buy the files. She also told me she'd give me thumbnails of all the pics, but only if I place an order, (apparently she thinks they are big enough for Facebook sharing,) but once she realized I would do that instead of buy a photo album, she NOW says I can only have thumbnails of the ones I purchase. It's freaking BS! I'm getting more angry as I type. Trust me this was full on taken advantage of.

Ok, well this sounds like a whole lot of BS to me - now if it were me I wouldn't do business with her under any circumstances. Honestly I think your a lot better off walking away and cutting your losses. If you really want to spend the money and get some good pictures I'd be willing to bet you could find a good photographer in your area who could most likely give you as good if not better results, and even if you had to spend close to what this person is charging you I think you'd be much better off starting from scratch. This is obviously not the sort of person you want to do business with, and certainly not the sort of person you want to shell out this kind of money too, it's likely to turn out to be a horrible investment no matter how good the pictures might be because frankly I seriously doubt this deal isn't going to change 10 or 15 more times between now and the time it's all said and done, and each change will end up costing you more money.

However, before you give her a single dime of your money make sure you get absolutely everything in writing and make absolutely certain there is not wiggle room in the language for her to be able to weasel out of her end of the deal later. This is obviously not the sort of person you can do business with on a handshake. Also if you are going to give her any money at all, absolutely insist on a written receipt that has her signature, her business name and a date on it and make certain there is a precise listing of all of the goods and services you are supposed to receive - IN DETAIL, on the receipt. Frankly I strongly recommend you avoid doing business with her because odds are good this is very likely to wind up in court, but if you must make certain you have a paper trail a mile long and 2 miles wide. Make certain that everything is spelled out exactly in writing, take absolutely nothing for granted, and make sure you have exact, detailed receipts with dates, times, and specific services spelled out in detail.

But I'm hoping you'll take my advice and just walk away from this now, I have no doubt it will save you a lot of heartache in the future. I would find yourself a good photographer in the local area and start fresh, get an exact listing of prices and services and know exactly what your getting into before you sign anything or any money changes hands. I know that probably isn't what you really wanted to hear, but honestly I think your going to be much better off in the long run.

7abc237a6a6e79d7b59f35a62c06f6d3_zps59de4f48.jpg

IF the situation is exactly as you describe it--which, as Keith points out, we really have no way of knowing, since we're only hearing one side of the story--but assuming everything is precisely as you say:
I would not give this woman ONE cent of my money. You are getting SUCKERED in by the "cute" pictures--yeah, yeah, yeah, the pictures of your youngest are really wonderful and you haven't been able to get any that good. So, are those pictures actually WORTH selling your own convictions for?
I mean really--either this woman scr*wed you over, or she didn't. If she DID, there's NO way I'd hand her $$ for a single picture--that's like just bending over and asking for another one.

If I pursued this at all, it would be in writing, stating precisely what you understood you had won at auction, including the fact that there were NO qualifiers indicated on the auction item, like a one-week period to book the session, etc. Then I'd ask her to please provide the written documentation that she gave to the people doing the auction that explained all these limitations. If she cannot provide PROOF that she placed these restrictions on the item she was donating, then I'd threaten to get a lawyer involved, just to see what she does.

That is IF I were to pursue it at all. But more than likely, I would just WALK. AWAY. Sure, I'd be down $150 and lose the chance at some adorable pics of my kids--but I'd still have my convictions, my integrity and my ability to sleep at night, unlike the other individual. Life is TOO short to let things like this eat away at you. Cut it loose.

Just walk away. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Tell allllll your friends,relative, and associates how she "done you wrong". Win at life. That is what I would do. NOT kidding, at all.

Assuming what you're saying is accurate:

I would tell this "charitable photographer" to go piss up a rope.

You thought you were spending $150.00 for holiday cards. Now this "upper clientele" photographer wants to milk you for five grand? That's outrageous.

Am I reading this right?

I donated a shoot once for a prize package for a radio station in San Diego I was involved with. I made damn sure that everyone involved, from the organizers to the DJ's, knew what I was including. As far as I can see, the only reason not to make sure everyone knows that is so the photographer can try to pull something like this.

Write off the $150.00. I'm assuming that went to a charitable cause, so you can take the deduction on your taxes.

Now, if you struggle to make ends meet, the last thing you need is $850.00 worth of metal prints to hang on your wall. I would walk, and I would make sure that everyone involved in the silent auction knew the details about what you were expected to purchase. While there might not have been anything blatantly false advertised, it appears as though some details were left out...

Assuming what you're saying is accurate:

I would tell this "charitable photographer" to go piss up a rope.

You thought you were spending $150.00 for holiday cards. Now this "upper clientele" photographer wants to milk you for five grand? That's outrageous.

Am I reading this right?

I donated a shoot once for a prize package for a radio station in San Diego I was involved with. I made damn sure that everyone involved, from the organizers to the DJ's, knew what I was including. As far as I can see, the only reason not to make sure everyone knows that is so the photographer can try to pull something like this.

Write off the $150.00. I'm assuming that went to a charitable cause, so you can take the deduction on your taxes.

Now, if you struggle to make ends meet, the last thing you need is $850.00 worth of metal prints to hang on your wall. I would walk, and I would make sure that everyone involved in the silent auction knew the details about what you were expected to purchase. While there might not have been anything blatantly false advertised, it appears as though some details were left out...

SHE IS NOT LISTENING, I BET SHE WAS A WONDERFUL AND LOVELY BRIDE.

THANKS FOR CHANGING WHAT I WROTE
Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
And she is your close personal friend?? Wow. Just wow.
Your family struggles to make ends meet financially, and you are spending $850 plus $150 on photographs taken by your close friend? At a charity event? And you are saying it is certainly an investment ?
I always thought that "investent" is something that brings money..

I hear you... No she's the auctioneers personal friend, not mine. I was saying what he said to me.
Let me clarify the financials.... we are struggling RIGHT NOW, because we did a career change in our household, and will take a few months to even out and get back to where we were, but we are budgeted at the moment. I bought it because I thought it would help at a good time... and it should have.
I'm being dumb. What I'm coming to realize is this.... She essentially "donated" a session.... which quite frankly is frustrating because her ad in this months local magazine is for a free "session." Did she really donate anything then? Or was this just a way to get another customer?
BTW, I wasn't a bridezilla, lol. I eloped. To heavy for me to do the big hoopla!
And I found the fuzzy post amusing. Thanks everyone for your responses. Cutting my losses, but I think we will make the "memory investment" that will last longer then money.
Appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back