Need Lens Purchase Advice

PaulBennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm convinced my life suffers from not owning a Nikon D300 so that decision is a done deal. I'm fixed nicely with a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF lens...wise decision 10 yeras back on that one.

I recall the days of traveling, unable to get interior shots as I've never had anything wider than a 28mm lens so nows the time while my wallet is open- plus ordering both at the same time can knock another few pct off the total.

I'm looking hard at the 12-24 f4 DX Nikkor. Any pro / cons I should be aware of? Or suggestions about other wide lenses. F4 seems slow for a lens as I've always had between 1.4 and 2.8. (except my Nikkor 500mm f5 reflex but that's another story. Perhaps lens speed is no longer a major concern.

My salesman could only comment on the future as Nikon's next series of cameras will surely have full frame sensors 'a la D3' and a camera upgrade from the D300 will result severe vignetting with the 12-24 DX ... not so making it obsolete but not a good fit. So that's the other snake in the grass...trying to outguess the future. Were I to upgrade bodies in the future, it won't get sold but given to my grandaughter and I'd like not to be required to purchase another lens at that time. Propably should toss this concern but it's the only neg I've heard.

So, then...opinions please...widen my horizon why doncha?

My salesman could only comment on the future as Nikon's next series of cameras will surely have full frame sensors 'a la D3' and a camera upgrade from the D300 will result severe vignetting with the 12-24 DX ... not so making it obsolete but not a good fit. So that's the other snake in the grass...trying to outguess the future. Were I to upgrade bodies in the future, it won't get sold but given to my grandaughter and I'd like not to be required to purchase another lens at that time. Propably should toss this concern but it's the only neg I've heard.

So, then...opinions please...widen my horizon why doncha?

If you're talking about a D4 then yes it will be full frame, if talking about any other camera I highly doubt it. I have mentioned in a thread in the gear news and discussions subforum why the sensors won't come down in price, and why consumer / prosumer cameras are unlikely to see full frame sensors anytime soon.

Either way it won't make it obsolete. Nikon proved this with the D3. All DX lenses still work on this camera with the exception that the crop factor is still in place. The cameras will automatically scale the image to the centre 5mpx (assuming a ~12mpx sensor).

That said I am against the idea of DX lenses since I have a film camera too. However one thing is certain. The DX lens will be smaller and lighter.

...I have mentioned in a thread in the gear news and discussions subforum why the sensors won't come down in price, and why consumer / prosumer cameras are unlikely to see full frame sensors anytime soon.
I have searched for the posts you mention but haven't found them. What you say is contrary to the historical evidence. Sensors are little more than semiconductors which have gone from mm size in the 70's to 8" diameters nowdays. Plus the inclusions which cause rejection have gone from trashing half the chips cut from a slab to under 5% which greatly affects cost. Hundred dollar sensors are now under a buck. I maintain that all camera manufacturers will be offering full sensor consumer camera in a few years.

That said, DX won't go away but I dislike buying into weakness. Since I started this thread I've found posts of others in the same boat and think I have my answer which is to get both the 10.5mm and a 12-24mm Nikkor as adequate for use on the D300 and let my heirs get the crumbs.

buying the DX lenses is a little worrisome in that you'll most likely be upgrading to full frame eventually, but as the D3 has shown, the DX lenses may still be compatible for some time.

Most reactions

Back