Need some advice

BigMcLargeHuge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
oravikmatt.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for some friendly advice. I've only had my camera a year so I'm still learning. I took some pictures the yesterday and they all came out looking dull. It was a cloudy overcast day so I set my Sony A350's mode dial for cloudy but all the pictures came out looking like this. What did I do wrong? Or was it just a bad day to take pictures? Here are some of the settings: f-stop = f/10, exposure time = 1/80 sec., ISO speed = ISO-100, Exposure bias = 0 step, Max Aperture = 4.97, Meetering mode = pattern, Flash = none.

4593630927_06b96b7d78_b.jpg

I am not sure what metering "pattern" is, but like you said it was dull cloudy day and you took a scenery shot. The sky is a little overexposed as you are losing some details. I don't think a CP would have helped much on this day (for the sky anyway, the water maybe). Did you have at least a UV/Haze filter on? You could increase the saturation a little and make the trees come out. But unless there was a beautiful sunset with pink and orange skies I don't know how much better it would have been.

I actually don't have filters yet. I still need a lot of the accessories. Here is the same picture that I messed with a little with the editing software that came with the camera. I always take a jpg and a RAW for just this reason. This one looks a little better to me but not great. But it just seemed like when I was there looking at the scene it looked a lot nicer. The water was a nice blue-green and all the plants were vibrant green.

4594399882_7f00afa34c_b.jpg

Are you using the 18-70 Sony kit lens? Research the legacy Minolta A-mount lenses which fit your camera. Some of them are excellent! http://www.dyxum.com/

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the link, I'll give it a try. I also have photo impact pro but don't know how to use it very well. Yeah the lens I used for this picture was the stock sony 18-70. When I bought the camera I got the setup that came with that one and the sony 55-200. I do want to get other lenses to try.

Since you're shooting digital a UV filter is not going to improve anything since the sensor is capable of handling UV. Have you had a problem like this before? I guess as was mentioned it could be the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back