Need Some DSLR Buying Advice

ajz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I'm in the market to buy a new DSLR. For the last 2 years I've used a Canon XSI which had been adequate but also limiting. My budget is $750 USD and I'm looking for something that does good photo (scenic/travel instagram photos and prints mainly) and video as I also do youtube studio style videos (only w/tripod). I'm also going to Machu Picchu in a couple months and want to take some great photographs. I'm currently, stuck between the Canon t6i or the Nikon D5500 but am also open to other options.

I only only have two lenses for my xsi so I'm not deads et on staying in the Canon lens camp.

Please provide any and all recommendations and why.

Thanks!

If you went with Canon again you could use you're existing lenses, which might save a bit. I use Nikon so I don't know much about the Canons.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

The choice of camera body will probably not have very much bearing on taking "some great photographs." Go to the local B&M and pick up each of the ones you are interested in and see how they feel in your hands - can you find the main knobs and buttons easy (without looking)? Are the menus intuitive?

I think it is a matter of defining why your camera is limiting and then choosing one that addresses those limits. In your case I would stay with Canon since you already have some lenses.

For the last 2 years I've used a Canon XSI which had been adequate but also limiting.
How has it limited you? You wouldn't want to buy a new camera, only to find it is just as limiting.

How big? How close do you want to view them (e.g. nose on the print to see detail, or 15 feet away…)?

and video as I also do youtube studio style videos (only w/tripod).
The ergonomics for video shooting can be a lot better with mirrorless cameras, but I guess that may not matter so much when the camera is on a tripod.

I'm currently, stuck between the Canon t6i or the Nikon D5500 but am also open to other options.

I only only have two lenses for my xsi so I'm not deads et on staying in the Canon lens camp.
What lenses exactly do you have? One could have $20,000 spent on two lenses.

If you really don't mind getting a camera that doesn't use the EF or EF-S mount natively, do consider some of the mirrorless offerings. This should be of interest to you: 2016 Roundup: Interchangeable Lens Cameras $500-800. Don't jump straight to the final recommendations; read what they have to say about each camera, and if it interests you, go over to the full review to know everything there is to know about the camera.

Hi All,

I'm in the market to buy a new DSLR. For the last 2 years I've used a Canon XSI which had been adequate but also limiting. My budget is $750 USD and I'm looking for something that does good photo (scenic/travel instagram photos and prints mainly) and video as I also do youtube studio style videos (only w/tripod). I'm also going to Machu Picchu in a couple months and want to take some great photographs. I'm currently, stuck between the Canon t6i or the Nikon D5500 but am also open to other options.

Thanks!
It's the photographer that takes great photos the camera doesn't matter

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My apologies if I sounded arrogant in the first post. What I meant by my current XSI being limiting is that it offers me no video capabilities in addition continuous shooting (quick shots) seem to be extremely slow.

As for my current canon lenses I only have an EF-S 18-55m f/3.5-5.6 IS and an older EF 50mm f/1.8. Both are nothing amazing. I know that I can invest money in lenses for much better shots with the same dslr body I currently have but as I mentioned not having a video option with my current XSI is a major pain-point.

Regarding mirror-less options, I haven't done any research into those so I'm not sure I want to venture their yet. Just looking for some pluses/minus of going with the t6i vs the d5500, I know video wise the t6i only takes 30 fps but that doesn't seem like a huge issue. Willing to take options for better brands for the price as well, such as Sony, Panasonic, Fuji etc. Welcome to any input.

Someone else mentioned feel/weight, I have felt both the t6i and d5500 and felt that the nikon felt really toyish/plasticy if that makes any sense but I could care less about feel as I can add a battery pack in order to make something feel more hefty in my hands. Just looking for the better bang for the buck as my budget is extremely limited to $750 USD max for the time being.

Have you looked through the options in the roundup that both jaomul and I linked to?

Are both those bodies $750, what lens do they come with, is there a promotional money back offer from either brand. If you buy Nikon then the canon lenses you have are not transferable. You don't have to buy the newest camera to get good video capability.

Have you looked through the options in the roundup that both jaomul and I linked to?

Oops, didn't see you had linked also. It's a good enough guide

Hi All,

Thanks!

Well given everything stated I probably wouldn't look for a new DSLR if I were you, but rather a used Canon 60D.

well put it this way,

a low end DSLR body with really good lenses will take great photos..
the best camera body with not so great lens will take bad photos..

so your lenses are more important the the camera body.. getting good lenses and a body with the features you want is the key when your on a budget.. there are plenty of lenses that do not cost allot that take great photos.. and there are also inexpensive ones that take lousy photos.

if you like the lenses that you already have stick with canon.. if you want to go with nikon i wold get this for sure on your budget.. its about 50 bucks more than you want to spend. you may be able to find a better deal on this kit.. the D5300 is a very nice camera body and that 18-140mm is a nice lens that will get you nice wide angle shots and and it has a good amount of zoom too.. its a great everday walk around lens.. that is probably what i would get on your budget..

Nikon - D5300 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens - Black

No worries :) Just think it's a little odd that both of us linked to it, and the OP said nothing about it.

No worries :) Just think it's a little odd that both of us linked to it, and the OP said nothing about it.

I basically came here just to post the same link. Definitely worth looking at, OP.

Also, if you're upgrading specifically for video capabilities, it's going to be worth your time to look into mirrorless options. Generally, mirrorless does better with video than DSLRs. I think the Panasonic G7 is the best in that roundup, but comes in just slightly over budget for you. You might be able to find a used or refurbished deal, though. The Sony a6000 (my camera) could also be a good compromise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back