New camera dilemma

Chaoticcat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So while shooting I noticed a purplish haze in certain images taken, so of course I took the camera back to the retail store I purchased at and found out that it somehow had oil spots on the internal area of the lens. Considering its a point and shoot all I could do was send it out for warranty repair however.... I was informed that when it returned they would accept the camera back as return and give me store credit for the full purchase price since I was looking to upgrade anyway. Now my dilemma is, I was originally looking at the D3400 but now I'm wondering if I should go with the D5600. Both appeal to me on different levels. I know the 5600 would be the better of the 2 cameras but if I go with the D3400 I could possibly spend a bit more getting some accessories like additional lenses, a new flash, and a tripod. I guess the dilemma is should I spend what I would for accessories and go with the better of the two cameras (both being entry level cameras) or do I go with the 3400 and use the extra money to get another lens, flash, and tripod? Any advice from someone that is familiar with both cameras would be greatly appreciated.

Depends what lens you have now and what you would like to get? What kind of photography do you do?
I personally would go to the D5600, or you could go for the D5500 as well and save some money there.
With the 3X00 series, you will run into many limitations after a while, the D5X00 series gives a lot more options and a flip screen! (I wish I had one on my D7100...). Always handy.
So ask yourself the questions:
What do you photograph?
Why do you need a new lens? what do you currently use and what are your limitations with that lens?
What is your budget?

While not a Nikon person (and assuming you're a beginner to photography), I'd personally go with the D3400 and additional lens/flash/tripod. Yes, you'll find it limiting after you learn how to use it. But, you'll run into a similar limitation with the D5600. You'll find the additional equipment very helpful when learning photography.

Once you hit that limitation, you'll already have lenses/flash/equipment to use on a new body.

Timppa brings up a good point. You could go to an older model to save even more, assuming the store has it since you're using store credit.

While not a Nikon person (and assuming you're a beginner to photography), I'd personally go with the D3400 and additional lens/flash/tripod. Yes, you'll find it limiting after you learn how to use it. But, you'll run into a similar limitation with the D5600. You'll find the additional equipment very helpful when learning photography.

Once you hit that limitation, you'll already have lenses/flash/equipment to use on a new body.

Timppa brings up a good point. You could go to an older model to save even more, assuming the store has it since you're using store credit.

Chaoticcat
I read in your introduction post that you are artistic. I really think the flip screen is a plus point then. Because If I think artistic (what I'm actually totally not), I would love to take pictures from strange angles, or from very low to the ground upwards, etc...
Try to look if they got a D5500 or even a D5400. I started with a D3X00 series, and already after a couple of months I felt so limited I upgraded to the D7100.

What is your budget that you are looking into spending?
What lenses are you planning to get?
Are you planning to get full frame in the future?
What do you usually shoot?

Sometimes, answering these questions can help you narrow down your choices.

Depends what lens you have now and what you would like to get? What kind of photography do you do?
I personally would go to the D5600, or you could go for the D5500 as well and save some money there.
With the 3X00 series, you will run into many limitations after a while, the D5X00 series gives a lot more options and a flip screen! (I wish I had one on my D7100...). Always handy.
So ask yourself the questions:
What do you photograph?
Why do you need a new lens? what do you currently use and what are your limitations with that lens?
What is your budget?

I was thinking the 3400 with extra lenses was the way to go but when I thought about it with the credit I'll be using from the store it's a minimal cost for me to go to the 5600 which comes with DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens, and an AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED lens. I realize these lenses won't get me too far but it's a start for a much better camera than the point and shoot that was a big mistake in purchasing and those lenses are more than enough for helping me to come to better grips with using my camera. Eventually I would purchase additional lenses including a macro lens. I have asked myself what I plan on shooting and I really don't have an answer for that. For the most part I would say family events but I have gotten to the point where I was carrying my camera with me all the time and capturing anything that caught my eye. From sunsets to sunrises, architectural appealing homes and businesses, waterfalls, bridges... Etc. I haven't really decided on an avenue per say just looking at things from an artistic pov and learning how to convey how I see these things through photographing them. I know that ultimately I would again need to upgrade the camera body as well as lenses as I grew with the camera or decided which avenue I wanted to pursue. I mean I would love the get the 7200 since it has a weatherproof body and does offer more than either of the two I have mentioned, but my store credit is only good for so long and what I have budget wise in addition to the credit would only get me the 7200 body with no lenses. So unfortunately it's not an option for me at the moment since it would leave me still unable to shoot anything. Am I wrong to think an entry level or Nikon mid level camera would be the best option for now? I don't really have plans to sell my work. Maybe offer it as gifts to people if there is something that might appeal to them so I'm not sure I would really need something more than that now. I could be wrong and I am very new to photography so
What is your budget that you are looking into spending?
What lenses are you planning to get?
Are you planning to get full frame in the future?
What do you usually shoot?

Sometimes, answering these questions can help you narrow down your choices.

I'm not entirely sure as to what all lenses I would like to get but I do know that yes I would like to get full frame. Both cameras would allow for this correct as the lenses are interchangeable? Forgive me for my ignorance in the question but as stated I am still very new to this medium. (I say medium because of my artistic background) not to disrespect.

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 AF-P VR DX | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

The 70-300 AF-P lens performs very,very well: far aboive its price point. I think getting it with a compatible camera (and only the very-new cameras work fully with AF-P lenses!) would be a good idea for a beginner. This lens marks a significant improvement over the earlier, lower-price Nikon tele-zoom lens options.

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 AF-P VR DX | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

The 70-300 AF-P lens performs very,very well: far aboive its price point. I think getting it with a compatible camera (and only the very-new cameras work fully with AF-P lenses!) would be a good idea for a beginner. This lens marks a significant improvement over the earlier, lower-price Nikon tele-zoom lens options.

Thank you for the insight. I didn't think I was getting a bad deal with what the camera came with but being a novice I wasn't sure. I appreciate the feedback on it.

the D5600 has a few advantages over the D3400 including a flip out touch screen, 39 AF points vs 11, and GPS.
whether those features are worth the extra money is up to you.
research all the features of both cameras and see which one best suits you.

Compare the Nikon D3400 vs the Nikon D5600

The D5500 and D5600 both have Tap-to-focus on the rear LCD screen, which has proven to be something many beginners like, as do many people migrating to their first d-slr from either a modern compact digitial, or a smart phone that also offers tap-to-focus and focus point selection via the big, rear LCD screen. So...that's a feature we seldom hear talked about, since it is new to Nikon. AS I recall, the D5500 was the first Nikon to have a touchscreen LCD and tap-to-focus; something Canon has had in its entry d-slrs for some time now. And as Pixmedic and Thom Hogan point out, the D5600 has the 39-point AF system and is a bit more featured than the D3400, so the extra $100 or so for the 5600 might be worth the extra expense. What I found really surprising though was the Thom Hogan D3400 and AF-P DX VR 70-300 lens review; the 70-300 lens with AF-P focuses FAST, and WELL, and he likens it to much,much,much more-costly professional-level Nikkor zoom focusing performance. AND as he states, it is optically BETTER than the now 10+-years old AF-S VR-G 70-300 model that so many of us have bought for full-frame and APS-C Nikons. hard to believe, but then again...it's been over a decade since the older 70-300 VR lens hit the market.

I just want to see you get something you LIKE, and that is a good value, and that performs well for you, and based on Hogan's reviews, it seems that these new AF-P VR 18-55 and AF-P VR 70-300 lenses are **the best ones** Nikon has ever offered. And that is worth something.

For the most part I would say family events but I have gotten to the point where I was carrying my camera with me all the time and capturing anything that caught my eye. From sunsets to sunrises, architectural appealing homes and businesses, waterfalls, bridges... Etc.

When I read your message, I really get the feeling most of your pictures are on the wider side of the lens. So even tough the 70-300 is indeed really good (as you read above), Is it really a lens for you? I do think that package deal sounds great, and the 18-55 lenses are really sweet as well, Don't think because its the kit lens it's bad.

Eventually I would purchase additional lenses including a macro lens.

What I would find more interesting towards your needs (purely based on your writings and my own opinion) would be the: Nikon D5500 + Nikkor AF-S 18-105mm DX VR.
Why 18-105? Because you expand your reach from a 18-55 to an 18-105, Witch is really nice for beginner photographers to learn what reach they love the most without the hassle of switching lenses.
Why Nikon D5500? Because you intend one day to maybe upgrade to an D7200. The difference between D5500 and D5600 is not that big, and buying an older version will save you some money.

If you get this set you will also save some money, and with that you might already be able to buy a macro lens, like the Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro VR.

And definitely wait with buying the D7200, Start with something smaller first and learn and enjoy. They are also introducing the D7500 soon, and I believe this will bring many used D7200 to the market.

Anyway, You don't have to listen to me, the kit you mentioned with the 70-300 sounds awesome! In the end it is all up to you.
I'm very far from being an expert, but this is just my 2 cents :).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back