NEW Canon 80D

All I know is, I really enjoy all 5 of My Canon cameras. I have never felt that my sensor is not good enough. Even if it wasn't, the way they fit my hands and perform in the field (where it really counts) is paramount. Besides, we got the best glass, right? ;)

I stopped by dPreview this AM and read their first-look and commentary on the new Canon 80D. Looks like a pretty good upgrade over the older 70D, with a number of better features, better video capabilities, and hopefully a better sensor than the level they've been iterating for several years now. The motorized zooming add-on device with the two-speed settings and then variable control in levels 1 and 2 looks interesting I suppose. Their NEW KIND of focusing motor sounds very interesting in the new 18-135 lens iteration. Having 45 all cross-type AF squares, plus apparently much better Live VIew focusing, all the basic subsystems sound like they've been updated over the 70D. It sounds to me like a pretty good D7200 competitor, and probably will keep people (enthusiasts, prosumer types,etc) trending upward, over the new Rebel T6 models.

If they nailed iso6400 at the level of 7d markII, it'll be my next camera body.

It'll be my next camera body if high ISO is comparable to the 7D markII.
If not, I'll have to save up for the 7.

Considering the resolution went up, I'm not expecting the ISO to be great. :(
Same for me. I'm looking at the 80D and lowlight and high ISO is just about everything to me. If the 80D isn't very good I'm gonna go cheap and either get the Panasonic Lumix G7 or the previous Canon 70D.

Something does not jive. Are we being punked (Canon owners)? It's hard for me to believe that all the big white lens owners I see regularly, can't afford to switch, or are too lazy to switch, if the differences were significant enough.

I'm already considering upgrading Wifey's 70d to the 80d. I MUST BE CRAZY!

Ok Jaca, you caught us. Yup, your being punked. Truth is the Universe works on exactly the same rules as High School, all you Canon guys are in the chess club, us Nikon folks are pretty much the band geeks and the popular kids all shoot Pentax or Sony and snicker at the rest of us.

Lol

Seriously though, odds are good you could switch all your equipment to Nikon tomorrow, I could dump all my Nikon gear and switch over to Canon and if we both posted pictures without telling anyone else we switched I doubt anyone would notice. I originally invested in the Nikon system because at the time I purchased my first DSLR the Nikons that were in my price range had slightly better stats in the specific areas I cared about most, so that's the system I chose. Once I invested in Nikon, well switching to Canon for me now would be an expensive proposition, so unless Canon could offer me something way beyond what my current Nikon gear can accomplish, it just wouldn't make much sense.

I'm sure that this is much the same for you with Canon, not much point in switching to Nikon for you at this stage because there isn't anything that they offer that is light years ahead of what you already have on hand.

It'll be my next camera body if high ISO is comparable to the 7D markII.
If not, I'll have to save up for the 7.

Considering the resolution went up, I'm not expecting the ISO to be great. :(
Same for me. I'm looking at the 80D and lowlight and high ISO is just about everything to me. If the 80D isn't very good I'm gonna go cheap and either get the Panasonic Lumix G7 or the previous Canon 70D.

Thankfully 7D markII's are showing up cheaper and/or used from time to time.
While not as good as 6D in high ISO, it's still a lot better then my T2i.

Something does not jive. Are we being punked (Canon owners)? It's hard for me to believe that all the big white lens owners I see regularly, can't afford to switch, or are too lazy to switch, if the differences were significant enough.

I'm already considering upgrading Wifey's 70d to the 80d. I MUST BE CRAZY!

Ok Jaca, you caught us. Yup, your being punked. Truth is the Universe works on exactly the same rules as High School, all you Canon guys are in the chess club, us Nikon folks are pretty much the band geeks and the popular kids all shoot Pentax or Sony and snicker at the rest of us.

Lol

Seriously though, odds are good you could switch all your equipment to Nikon tomorrow, I could dump all my Nikon gear and switch over to Canon and if we both posted pictures without telling anyone else we switched I doubt anyone would notice. I originally invested in the Nikon system because at the time I purchased my first DSLR the Nikons that were in my price range had slightly better stats in the specific areas I cared about most, so that's the system I chose. Once I invested in Nikon, well switching to Canon for me now would be an expensive proposition, so unless Canon could offer me something way beyond what my current Nikon gear can accomplish, it just wouldn't make much sense.

I'm sure that this is much the same for you with Canon, not much point in switching to Nikon for you at this stage because there isn't anything that they offer that is light years ahead of what you already have on hand.

Okay, I need a funny and an agree button. :) WB Mr. Rob Benzzz.

Canon EOS 80D updates Dual Pixel AF, bumps resolution with 24MP sensor

Newly enthused: hands on with the Canon EOS 80D

A new middle of the range crop sensor from Canon! Making a lot of noise about their new AF system, various improvements in other areas, a 24mp sensor, new AF engines in the kit lens with an optional motorized external video AF system. Built in GPS is also now included.

Not as much noise on the sensor though - (yeah fantastic pun ;)) and might be a bit before we hear about its performance ,but being middle ranged its unlikely to be vastly different to the 7DMII

I'm really disappointed in the new Canon 80D, the only very little in improvements vs the Canon 70D wich you can get for around $650.00 if you shop around.
This New Canon 80D is around $1200.00 which is totally ridiculous, not worth even close to that range of price. Not for an APS-C camera..
for the same price you can get a Nikon D610 with accessories, and that camera is a much better camera, better dynamic range better sensor, same MP, and you can use Full Frame Sensor Lenses on it which are much better then APS-C lenses for the most part.
Yes it may do video better, but 99% of the reason you would buy a camera is for the Still Photography, if your mainly a video person then go out and get a HD video Camera.
you can get a Panasonic HC-MDH2 AVCHD Shoulder Mount Camcorder that does just as good a job as the Canon 80D and cost less.
Not Worth it, the Canon 80D is not with the price they are asking no way in hell, and it's not all that much of an improvement from the 70D to justify the cost.
And megapixels are not as big of a deal as people make it out to be the difference between 20 MP and 24 MP is not even noticeable though the human eye, you would not see the difference, yeah 8 mp vs 16 mp is a big difference but not 4 mp , and Megapixels is not the primary feature that has to do with your image quality.

A full frame sensor vs a crop sensor will always put out much better image quality. And better lenses quality for the full frame sensor camera's.

If i see any one in the camera store buying an 80D i would be tempted to say are you stupid or something, what would you rather have a aps-c crop sensor camera or a full fame sensor camera for the same price with accessories with it? Come on are people stupid or something?
Panasonic HC-MDH2 AVCHD Shoulder Mount Camcorder - Fumfie.com
cvsn.jpg

Last edited:
Not every wants or needs a full frame camera.

Exactly.
I would, of course, want the 1DX, but with the 7D markII and 6D at about the same price locally, the 7 is better for 90%
of the stuff I shoot, and I don't even do the obvious ones (wildlife/birds and sports). I'd love to have the 6 sensor for some
stuff, but for everything else, the 7D is better for me.

Really?? that's your thinking? ok i'll take the shittier APS-C camera for $1200.00 even tho i could have a much better full frame camera..
Yeah ok.. Ok, so lets say some one who is in the market for a canon Camera but doesn't want full frame.

Ok so you buy the 70D for half the price and your getting basically the same camera the only difference is the 80D has 4 more Megapixels and better AF performance, oh goody ....
Maybe at the time some one might not want the full frame camera but if he / she really gets into photography and enjoys it and wants to take it a step further they would need to upgrade to a full frame sensor, which again is going to cost money, Why not pay the $1200.00 and get a full frame sensor even tho your not going to take advantage if it right away you will want to later on.
It's not a smart way to spend your money buying the Canon 80D, when you can get a full frame sensor Camera, period.

first off 4 more megapixels is not going to justify paying $600.00 more for the camera for 4 more megapixels is not going to be that much of a difference.

Many People believe image quality is all about megapixels but that is not true, at all....

You shouldn’t ignore megapixel counts entirely, Many people confuse high megapixel counts with indicators of how good a camera’s image quality will be, but in reality it’s simply a measure of how large you can view, resize, or print an image without seeing a noticeable decrease in resolution. Megapixels translate to image size, not image quality..

The sensor in a DLSR is the equivalent of what used to be film in a 35mm camera. The senor is exposed to the available light when you click your shutter speed.
It and other components capture and store this data. Because it's the sensor that's capturing and storing your images, this is the most important spec you'll want to consider.

The Nikon D610 is the larger full frame sensor, the Canon 80D is the smaller cropped sensor. which means the Nikon D610 will always produce better image quality then the Canon 80D

While smaller sensors struggle with capturing enough light, larger sensors are able to accommodate lower light situations.
Another advantage is having better control of depth of field.

With a larger sensor, you can more readily render an out-of-focus background behind your subject. APS-C sensors, however,
have one common disadvantage, and that's crop factor. Crop factor refers to how a lens is magnified when attached to APS-C-based cameras.
For example, if you use a 28mm lens, it would be magnified to look like a 45mm lens. In other words,
subjects are zoomed in a little bit more. While this isn't such a big deal, you should be aware of it,
especially if you're a landscape photographer who takes a lot of wide images.

While a good 28mm lens would look wide enough on a 35mm film or full frame camera,
it might be insufficient on a DSLR with an APS-C sensor.

where the Nikon D610 is the same exact megapixels as the Canon 80D, the Nikon will still produce higher quality images, because the sensor is almost twice the size.

But not quite

Last edited:
^^^ I don't want, or need a full frame sensor.

Really?? that's your thinking? ok i'll take the shittier APS-C camera for $1200.00 even tho i could have a much better full frame camera..
Yeah ok.. Ok, so lets say some one who is in the market for a canon Camera but doesn't want full frame.
Yup, that is really my thinking, but what do I know, I only photograph birds. Let's see, when I still shot Nikon I had a D7100 and a D800 and guess what, as much as I loved the D800, I sold it because it offered no advantages to me over a D7100. I have also shot with a D600/D610, sorry to say crop sensors are better for me. Oh and a D3s, D7200, D300 D7200, etc
Ok so you buy the 70D for half the price and your getting basically the same camera the only difference is the 80D has 4 more Megapixels and better AF performance, oh goody ....
Maybe at the time some one might not want the full frame camera but if he / she really gets into photography and enjoys it and wants to take it a step further they would need to upgrade to a full frame sensor, which again is going to cost money, Why not pay the $1200.00 and get a full frame sensor even tho your not going to take advantage if it right away you will want to later on.
It's not a smart way to spend your money buying the Canon 80D, when you can get a full frame sensor Camera, period.
The smart move to take your photography forward would be better glass. You are also comparing an end of life product which was essentially announced in Sept 2012, granted they slapped that "10" on there a year later, but essentially the same camera. The 80D hasn't even been tested yet and Canon has moved to a new chip with ADC which could possibly increase DR very close to that of Nikon.
first off 4 more megapixels is not going to justify paying $600.00 more for the camera for 4 more megapixels is not going to be that much of a difference.
Many People believe image quality is all about megapixels but that is not true, at all....
You shouldn’t ignore megapixel counts entirely, Many people confuse high megapixel counts with indicators of how good a camera’s image quality will be, but in reality it’s simply a measure of how large you can view, resize, or print an image without seeing a noticeable decrease in resolution. Megapixels translate to image size, not image quality..
The sensor in a DLSR is the equivalent of what used to be film in a 35mm camera. The senor is exposed to the available light when you click your shutter speed.
It and other components capture and store this data. Because it's the sensor that's capturing and storing your images, this is the most important spec you'll want to consider.
I personally could care less about MP. If the sensor was the most important thing, no one would be shooting Canon any longer as Nikon/Sony sensors smoke Canon. Personally I only see the camera as a tool that is part of a system. Things like lens selection, build quality, AF, ergonomics and speed have to all be looked at equally, in my humble opinion.
The Nikon D610 is the larger full frame sensor, the Canon 80D is the smaller cropped sensor. which means the Nikon D610 will always produce better image quality then the Canon 80D
Not if the D610 misses your subject.
While smaller sensors struggle with capturing enough light, larger sensors are able to accommodate lower light situations.
Another advantage is having better control of depth of field.
With a larger sensor, you can more readily render an out-of-focus background behind your subject. APS-C sensors, however,
have one common disadvantage, and that's crop factor. Crop factor refers to how a lens is magnified when attached to APS-C-based cameras.
For example, if you use a 28mm lens, it would be magnified to look like a 45mm lens. In other words,
subjects are zoomed in a little bit more. While this isn't such a big deal, you should be aware of it,
especially if you're a landscape photographer who takes a lot of wide images.
While a good 28mm lens would look wide enough on a 35mm film or full frame camera,
it might be insufficient on a DSLR with an APS-C sensor.
where the Nikon D610 is the same exact megapixels as the Canon 80D, the Nikon will still produce higher quality images, because the sensor is almost twice the size.
But not quite
You have done very good here spewing the Nikon mantra of you must shoot full frame. The questions you should really be asking is how dare Nikon release a $2000 D500 when you can but a D750 for less, or even a D610 for half the price. Or perhaps why is Canon releasing the 80D at the same price as the 7DM2? Personally I think the crop factor is an advantage. So just remember before you stand up on that soap box, not everyone shoots the same way as you. Maybe some people can't afford full frame lenses so crop works better for them. Maybe people like me have a 500 F4 and don't want to slap an extender on it so you can get the same field of view as crop camera. Peace

+1, because of the cropping my 200 2.8 becomes over 300 2.8, and I need that often for events I shoot.
Even with unlimited funds, I'd still go buy the 7D markII tomorrow because I NEED that for most of my work.

I'd get a FF camera too because that's better suitable for some of it, but if I had to choose one, hi-end crop
(regardless of brand, D7200 is good enough for me already) body is what I'd buy, especially on the Nikon
side with the amazing D500.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back