NEW Canon 80D

I rarely buy anything new unless it's a great deal. I have 5 Canon mount lenses, so I'm already partially vested ( in EF as well). My current subject is mostly indoor sports. I used to be hung up on FPS. I wasted a lot of post time deleting useless shots. As I've improved my ability to frame, compose, and pick my spots, my editing time was greatly reduced. With the 80D's improved 42 AF X-points, built-in WiFi, a modest 7fps, and higher ISO range, it would be a nice move-up from my T2i. That being said, I will definitely buy more glass before I upgrade my body. So the 80D is definitely something I'd consider. I've been eyeing the 7DmII for a while and still consider it my move-up body. I'm a photo hobbyist, so I don't mind waiting for a good deal.

I'm in the same boat but 7d markII still seems like a better choice to me, but I'll probably pick the one
that does better in high ISO (which will still likely be the 7d markII). If they're about the same, I'd get
the 80D because of the higher resolution.

Then again.. I'd like to have the extra safety of 2 card slots.. :-/
Nevermind. :-/

I rarely buy anything new unless it's a great deal. I have 5 Canon mount lenses, so I'm already partially vested ( in EF as well). My current subject is mostly indoor sports. I used to be hung up on FPS. I wasted a lot of post time deleting useless shots. As I've improved my ability to frame, compose, and pick my spots, my editing time was greatly reduced. With the 80D's improved 42 AF X-points, built-in WiFi, a modest 7fps, and higher ISO range, it would be a nice move-up from my T2i. That being said, I will definitely buy more glass before I upgrade my body. So the 80D is definitely something I'd consider. I've been eyeing the 7DmII for a while and still consider it my move-up body. I'm a photo hobbyist, so I don't mind waiting for a good deal.

go for the good deal
(the "pixels" keep getting smaller and smaller !)

The only thing that would get me to consider 80D rather then 7D markII is better high ISO performance, and I'm not
holding my breath since they went up in megapixel count which usually makes the high ISO performance worse
(all other things being equal).

The 750D/760D (T6i/T6s) use a 24mpix sensor and while it's better in low light then previous 18mpix rebels (and 60D/7D),
70D is still better then all of them, and 7D markII is better then all of them once again.

Generally speaking the ISO noise performance always improves; although sometimes the improvement is small if the MP value goes up. In general I'd rather like to see MP level off for a while; if just to let noise performance catch up and because its getting silly how big RAW files are to store in the computer.

Give us a little time without the MP war - have an ISO, dynamic range, FPS, or something else war for a bit

Yes! I agree! Nikon is a good example of MPIX going up along with high ISO performance but Canon has been slacking
in that department for 5 years now so that's why I'm worried. If 80D doesn't outperform 7D markII in high ISO, or let's
say.. it does about the same.. then 24mpix over 20mpix might be something worth looking into.

Then again, I'd want them to make a 7d markIII that stays at 20 or even goes back to 18 if they could pull off high ISO
performance of the D500 or something as sick as that. I'd rather have a clean 3200 then few mpix more.

I'd like to see clean 6400

That would be nice - 6400 is as high as I shoot on my D7100, it's pretty much the point at which any higher and the noise just gets too extreme. But it's not exactly clean at 6400.. just livable.. lol

6400 on D7200 (haven't seen 7100) is definitely more then usable, and the only Canon APS-C that can do 6400 usable is 7D markII IMHO, and it's still worse. :(

6400 on D7200 (haven't seen 7100) is definitely more then usable, and the only Canon APS-C that can do 6400 usable is 7D markII IMHO, and it's still worse. :(

Never shot a 7d Mk II so couldn't really offer an opinion there. For the most part I've been pretty happy with the 7100 though, This was shot at 6400 on my D7100:

1081 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

That's very nice.
And it's a really old body right now, Canon needs to get their **** together.
I can't wait to see D500 stuff.

EDIT: Looked at a few more images, seems like the 6400 on D7100 is a bit better then 3200 on my T2i. Oh well.

That's very nice.

I can't speak for Canon of course but I think they might have figured, well, if you want better lowlight then upgrade to full frame. Of course good lowlight in an APS-C is one of the things that drew me to Nikon in the first place, always been happy with my choice.

That's very nice.

I can't speak for Canon of course but I think they might have figured, well, if you want better lowlight then upgrade to full frame. Of course good lowlight in an APS-C is one of the things that drew me to Nikon in the first place, always been happy with my choice.

It's almost the same difference when you compare FF bodies, again the Nikon is miles ahead with the last gen sensors.
6D isn't bad at all and the higher end 5D is actually worse then 6D, FFS.

I can use ISO6400 on my T6s more often than I could on the last Gen 18mp sensor. Still not ideal but perfectly acceptable for most applications.

I can use ISO6400 on my T6s more often than I could on the last Gen 18mp sensor. Still not ideal but perfectly acceptable for most applications.

Really?
I took maybe 3-4 shots at 6400 on my 18mpix, it's horrible.
3200 is ok if it's not pitch black around me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back