NEW Canon 80D

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Canon EOS 80D updates Dual Pixel AF, bumps resolution with 24MP sensor

Newly enthused: hands on with the Canon EOS 80D

A new middle of the range crop sensor from Canon! Making a lot of noise about their new AF system, various improvements in other areas, a 24mp sensor, new AF engines in the kit lens with an optional motorized external video AF system. Built in GPS is also now included.

Not as much noise on the sensor though - (yeah fantastic pun ;)) and might be a bit before we hear about its performance ,but being middle ranged its unlikely to be vastly different to the 7DMII

It'll be my next camera body if high ISO is comparable to the 7D markII.
If not, I'll have to save up for the 7.

Considering the resolution went up, I'm not expecting the ISO to be great. :(

Camera specs getting better all the time, that looks great if you don't need the 7dii. I'm sure the sensor is likely the same as the 760d models

Higher ISO is my no.1 priority, everything else these bring (750,760,70,7d) along with that is great, I could use
more FPS of course then my T2i, but if the 80D shares the sensor with the 750-760D (which mpix count suggests)
it'll be worse in high-ISO then the 70D.

These are small differences but still.. compare to the T2i, T6i/s (750-760) seem to go about 1/3 stop better clean.
70D is another third.
7D markII is another third.

I really need as much as I can get without going FF.

I feel like both sides are just taking incremental baby steps in each "new" model.

Part of me wonders how many of these "new" models use the same hardware with only minor software improvements. Its amazing to see what Magic Lantern can do to unlock the full potential of a camera by removing all the marketing limits put in by the manufacturers.

I already have this one. It may be called the 760d/T6s?

The new compacts they announced are more intriguing to me. Along with new lens technology, which sounds great on paper!

I feel like both sides are just taking incremental baby steps in each "new" model.

Part of me wonders how many of these "new" models use the same hardware with only minor software improvements. Its amazing to see what Magic Lantern can do to unlock the full potential of a camera by removing all the marketing limits put in by the manufacturers.

Does Magic Lantern benefit still shooters?

Specs seem like a year or two behind the curve...

Does Magic Lantern benefit still shooters?

Yep.

Speaking of same, or mostly same hardware.. they've been doing this for years.
The T2i (550D) when it came out was a rather nice improvement over the T1i/500D.
This was 4-5 years ago and they were stuck at that level up until recently (750/760 and 70/7dm2).

All the Rebel bodies since between T2i and T6i used the same sensor and had the exact same image quality
while Nikon was pushing up. The D3200 already owns them all, the D3300 was even better then that.

And then they put out the 70D with it's focusing issues and basically a 1/3 of improvement in high iso over the
18mpix bodies.. while Nikon was WAY over 1 stop better. :(

I really wish they'd wake up.
I've been suggesting Nikons to people for years now, and regreting buying the T2i in the first place.

I would have been happy with the D7200 now which is a lot cheaper then the 7D markII..

It seems odd - Canon seems to be ruling in most areas barring the sensor ISO noise performance; whilst Nikon and the others are ruling there mostly because they are buying sony sensors because Sony threw stupid money at developing them so they could break into the market itself.

Honestly if Canon were to buy just 1 Sony sensor into their system they'd likely make a huge killing in the market. But for some reason they want to stick inhouse which is great; but it seems that they can't just can't crack the sensor tech (or they have but can't crack it without infringing on copyright of the sony design).

In general anything that isn't top line is incremental. Even then each model to model is generally incremental - you have to skip a generation to see a bigger gain in specifications.

It seems odd - Canon seems to be ruling in most areas barring the sensor ISO noise performance; whilst Nikon and the others are ruling there mostly because they are buying sony sensors because Sony threw stupid money at developing them so they could break into the market itself.

Honestly if Canon were to buy just 1 Sony sensor into their system they'd likely make a huge killing in the market. But for some reason they want to stick inhouse which is great; but it seems that they can't just can't crack the sensor tech (or they have but can't crack it without infringing on copyright of the sony design).

In general anything that isn't top line is incremental. Even then each model to model is generally incremental - you have to skip a generation to see a bigger gain in specifications.

^^This is what I wonder about also. If you are number one (correct me if I'm wrong), why change your model, or why not do as you mentioned - buy Sony sensors?

Side note. Every since Nerwin posted something about seeing mostly Nikon cameras on television, I have been more aware of things. I have overwhelming seen Canon cameras on most of the shows I watch, similarly to seeing them overwhelmingly while out and about shooting nature.

Something does not jive. Are we being punked (Canon owners)? It's hard for me to believe that all the big white lens owners I see regularly, can't afford to switch, or are too lazy to switch, if the differences were significant enough.

I'm already considering upgrading Wifey's 70d to the 80d. I MUST BE CRAZY!

There is a lot if interweb chirping that the 1dx2 and 80d are using a new sensor with ADC on the sensor. There are reports that the 1dx2 can push 5 stops and people are claiming a 2-3 stop advantage in shadows when pushed over the 1dx.. Maybe Canon has finally gained some ground.. We will have to see what the likes of dxomark report..

I blame the Japanese. Seriously. In following various japanese companies throughout various form (motorsport, electronics, cameras etc...) I've noticed that most companies will go down in flames before they admit they made a mistake or need to change something. Honda for example has their ass handed to them this year in F1 because they refused to accept that their design wasn't the best despite the fact that the British engineer's said it was so. Same with Subaru, at one point they were the best in the world in rallying, but the series's specs changed and Subaru refused to adapt their design so they pulled out of the sport. And so on, Sony is constantly digging their heels in and sticking to a format despite the drawbacks.

Most reactions

Back