New D 7000 user

clipper1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I recently purchased a new D7000 which came with the standard 55mm kit lens.

I just wanted your help in confirming whether the below lens's are compatible with the D7000, I am from India and finding a good priced lens is difficult so I don't want to make any mistakes by buying a wrong lens.

Junglee.com: Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED High Power Lens

or

Buy Nikon JAA814DA AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens Online at Low Price in India | Nikon Product Reviews & Ratings - Junglee.com

thanks all in advance

Raoul

AF-S lens which have the silent wave motor as well as the older AF (no motor) are compatible with the D7000. In short the lenses you indicated are compatible with the D7000. Perhaps you may want to also consider the cheaper AF lenses since the D7000 has an internal focus motor. Entry level recommendations include the 50mm f1.8 AF D and the 70-300mm AF G if budget is a concern.

thanks for the help, always knew I could count on this forum for help

I have read reviews where the 300mm lens is not as sharp when extended fully, so watch for that. But, if I could find that lens at a price comparable to a 200mm choice, I could go with the optics that zoom in closer.

The camera has loads of features and I found it helpful to make a copy of the pages that diagram the "Custom Settings" and put them (one page) in my pocket as a quick reference. For example there are six different windows or groups of setting and then sub-settings within each of those groups. Under Autofocus there are five settings, so there are around 50 different settings just under Custom settings! Yet, there are many settings accessible with various buttons right at your finger tips on the camera body. But, it takes two buttons to get you to manual focus. Or, I found the focus point indicator was not moving, I thought it had frozen in the cold, until I remembered there was a lock focus switch. Anyway, lot to remember when you are out in the field for the first few times. Practice...practice. Don't get overwhelmed or discouraged. Check out ISO Sensitivity! Mirror lock-up. How to set up for action shots, letting the shutter close quickly with a pre-focused setting...etc....etc.

Invest in the best lenses you can afford. An expensive lens on an "inexpensive" or entry level body is better than a kit lens on a pro body. Or, so I have heard! Of course, I can mess up exposure, focus, and composition with any lens.

Last edited:
I would choose the 55-200 or 55-300 over the 70-300 f/4-5.6(non-VR). You didn't say what you intend to use it for, but a low cost Prime (non-zoom) 50mm 1.8d would also be a great choice.

Both the 55-300 VR and 70-300 VR have metal mounts. The 55-200 VR doesn't.

The 70-300 the OP is talking about isn't the VR version... It's the cheap plastic mount f/4-5.6 lens (VR is f/4.5-5.6),

New Dehli is a beautiful city! No matter what lense(s) you pick, you and your D7000 should be able to take some Amazing pictures :)

I would choose the 55-200 or 55-300 over the 70-300 f/4-5.6(non-VR). You didn't say what you intend to use it for, but a low cost Prime (non-zoom) 50mm 1.8d would also be a great choice.

Both the 55-300 VR and 70-300 VR have metal mounts. The 55-200 VR doesn't.

The 70-300 the OP is talking about isn't the VR version... It's the cheap plastic mount f/4-5.6 lens (VR is f/4.5-5.6),

New Dehli is a beautiful city! No matter what lense(s) you pick, you and your D7000 should be able to take some Amazing pictures :)

Oh, yuck... don't get that 70-300 non VR.....

thanks once again to everyone for their help :thumbup:

I am currently trying to remember the different options available and how to get to them, yes at first it is a bit overwhelming but I am getting the hang of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back