New Photographer (How to get Started)

DONSA818

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone I am new to this forum so I hope I am in the right place. I am new to photography but I have had a DSLR Canan rebel for about 7 years (so its an old model), but I would like to start taking better shots and dont really know where to start. Should I buy another camera or just start out with the one I have? I would prefer to start out with the one I have but will i be able to get good shots with the camera. Also what are good starter lenses and flashes. ANy help about anything in the photography world would be greatly appreciated. I plan to do city landscaping of mailing building and still obejects and also portraits. PLEASE HELP!!

Welcome to the 'site. Great question.. there's a perception that we have, espeically in Western cultures that because something is older, it doesn't work well any more. Putting aside normal wear & tear, remember that when it was new, it was the latest & greatest and the thing everyone wanted. It will still work as well as it did then, and produce the same results; they may not be the same as the results of a brand-new item, but do you need those? Probably not. I would NOT buy anything else until you've spent some time with this camera and learned the basics. THEN, when you know what you want, buy something, but gear bought in haste or for the sake of buying something is almost always wasted money.

I am new to photography but I have had a DSLR Canan rebel for about 7 years (so its an old model), but I would like to start taking better shots and dont really know where to start. Should I buy another camera or just start out with the one I have?
Hello!

Use the camera that you already own, and practice, practice, practice!

Do some reading.

View some really good photographs online.

Take a course in photography that is taught by a real in-person teacher.

Put up some photos on here or in local contests to get some C&C.

I am new to photography but I have had a DSLR Canan rebel for about 7 years (so its an old model), but I would like to start taking better shots and dont really know where to start. Should I buy another camera or just start out with the one I have?
Hello!

Use the camera that you already own, and practice, practice, practice!

Do some reading.

View some really good photographs online.

Take a course in photography that is taught by a real in-person teacher.

Put up some photos on here or in local contests to get some C&C.
Thanks for the reply.Do you know where is a good place to start with books or topics?

Most reactions

Back