New SLR arriving this week

GreyTricky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sundaynights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, ive finally made the big jump to digital slr from average compact cameras I've used and upgraded over the years for my work (its arriving in a few days!!)

I've opted for the Canon EOS 400 as a couple of close friends have them and swear by them, plus I love the new larger screen and features

I obviously can't wait to get to know my new camera but am a little inexperienced with lenses etc, my job means I shoot in bars and night-clubs and I want a 'good all rounder' lens that will primarily be right for dark clubs and earlier on in bars

Do I need a prime lens, whats a good one to go for in this area? The camera comes with a cheap standard 18-55 lens but i am prepared to spend two or three hundred on a better lens in good time, I'm also after a very good flash to clip on the Canon as with the old compacts 'Fuji Z2 / Z3' etc I have been let down with blurred pics due to poor lighting

hope an experienced SLR person can 'shed some light' on this

thanks folks ;)

the standard lens is a 50mm prime. they are easy to make and thusly (points for using that word btw) the lenses are fairly inexpensive and have very good image quality. I think Canon has a 1.8 and a 1.4 lens. If you shoot in clubs i would go with the 1.4.
I dont know how much the Canon lenses runs, but Nikons 1.4 50mm lens is 300 new online to 350 in stores and I picked mine up used for about 100 bucks on ebay.

unfortunatly really good zoom lenses are more expensive then primes.

Everyone seems to have a 50mm prime. I plan on getting one. Canon sells one for about $60-$70 depending on source.

For low-light work, I think a fast prime is a must. With zooms you're looking at a lot of money even for a constant f/2.8. Primes, you can get an f/1.8 for around £70 (yes sadly not $70 unless you want to import). Canon's f/1.4 is not so cheap at over £200 but you may decide it's worth it. The 85mm f/1.8 is very reasonably priced for what it is, available under £300.

Big Mike can hopefully chime in and tell you what you what he bought his Tamron 17-55 2.8 for. That I think would be your best best. If the 50mm prime you dont have any room for give, meaning bars get packed, no where to move. You'll want the zoom, no points for second place.

I have to concure with the primes. On a Canon crop sensor the 35mm would be the equilivent of a "Standard" lens. "Standard" being defined as a 50mm lens on a 35mm film or full frame body. The 50mm equates to about and 85mm lens. A nice short telephoto and portrait lens. The 50mm f1.8 (commonly called the nifty fifty) is usually about $70 dollars and is a good investment for someone wanting to learn primes. It is all plastic with decent glass elements and the focus is a touch slow as it has a standard focus motor instead of an ultrasonic motor.

The 50mm f1.4 is around $325 but the quality of the image is sharper and the bokeh is nicer.

You also might want to consider the 85mm f1.8. A real nice little lens that lets you be a little further away from the action in a club or bar. It is also a good indoor sports lens for things like baskeball and such. Again it is around $350 for this lens.

Like Big Mike I own the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. A wonderful piece of glass for a zoom lens. I opted for it over the Canon 17-40mm f4 after testing both. Even thought it is a respectable 2.8 it still will be a bit slow for most clubs or bars unless the stage area is really well lit. You would probably have to push the ISO to at least 800 and probably 1600 in a most clubs to try and use this lens.

As for a flash, the 580 EX is a great flash with tons of power. It is also quite costly. $449.00 or so. If that is out of your range, look into the 430 EX. Also a good flash. Both will beable to work quite well with any EOS camera. I have also heard good things about some of Sigma's top flashes. Maybe someone that owns one could write about it as I have no experience with one at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back