Newb question - which lens for Nikon D5100

BlackDog10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am thinking of getting the Nikon D5100 - while I may eventually get a prime lens, the first lens I am thinking of getting isn't one of the kit lenses but rather Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Autofocus Lens ...just soliciting opinions if this is a better choice than starting of with either kit lens offered (I know it is likely of better quality based on price). My purposes are kids/pets/family; indoor/outdoor sports; landscapes; essentially want it solve my basic family photo consumer needs while allowing me some creativity - thanks for any opinion and/or other suggestions: [h=2]18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Nikkor Lens or Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens for Select Digital Cameras [/h]

I would go with the "other option".

Also, if the budget is there, look into the 70-300 VR. It will help with your sport shooting needs.

p!nK

Heads Up OP!

I'm seeing a lot of "What lens" "What camera body" type posts being made in the Beginners subsection and would like to remind users that this is not the correct place for posting such questions. If you want to post about equipment relaited issues please use the following subsections and not beginners, thank you:

Photography Equipment & Products - for general/any equipment retailed threads

Canon - for Canon specific questions (note section is split into lenses, accessories and general)

Nikon - for Nikon specific questions (note section is split into lenses, accessories and general)

Sony - for Sony specific questions (note section is split into lenses, accessories and general)

In addition I would like to remind members who are working photographers (be you highly experienced or beginners in the photography working world) that you should be posting all relevant threads/subjects on professional work in the following site subsection
The Business District

Thanks all :mrgreen:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/257684-notice-use-beginners-forum.html

I am thinking of getting the Nikon D5100 - while I may eventually get a prime lens, the first lens I am thinking of getting isn't one of the kit lenses but rather Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Autofocus Lens ...just soliciting opinions if this is a better choice than starting of with either kit lens offered (I know it is likely of better quality based on price). My purposes are kids/pets/family; indoor/outdoor sports; landscapes; essentially want it solve my basic family photo consumer needs while allowing me some creativity - thanks for any opinion and/or other suggestions: [h=2]18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Nikkor Lens or Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens for Select Digital Cameras [/h]

The 18-105 is a kit lens on the higher end models - namely the D90 and the D7000. I have it and it works well for general use. The construction and build quality isn't all that but it's an entry level lens so one can't expect too much of it. The 18-55 that comes with the D5100 kit is actually a good lens. The main difference between the two is that 105 gives you a better range of focal lengths. Given that you're looking to shoot sports, you probably want something longer aside from the 18-55. The 55-200 would work here and the 70-300 would be even better.

I see I've been admonished for incorrect classification of my newbie post by the forum police......

I see I've been admonished for incorrect classification of my newbie post by the forum police......

He is just being helpful. You'll find that Keith is one of the most helpful. I'm am dead serious.

The 18-55 is probably sharper than the 18-105. The 18-55 is egonomically well suited for the D5100 too. 52mm filter vs the 18-105's 67mm filter, for starters.

If you can get a 18-55 and a 55-200 as a kit package I think you will love these for starters.

Mick

thanks for all the help (on all fronts ;-) - I see have information to sift through and thoughts to think...and budgets to assess...etc.

BlackDog10 said:
thanks for all the help (on all fronts ;-) - I see have information to sift through and thoughts to think...and budgets to assess...etc.

The 18-105 and the 18-55 are both good lenses to start with (whichever you choose.). They can help you decide what prime lens to get!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ugh ... the anticipation - UPS attempted delivery today... no one home... !

Most reactions

Back