NEWBIE: random photos.

hamburger.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey. I'm Amber, and i'm new to photography. I bought a Nikon D40 a few months ago and have not really used it. I got VERY frustrated because i thought i could just "pick" the camera up and BOOM i'm a pro.:lol: here are some photos i took. PLEASE feel free to throw some pointers.:sexywink: THANKS!
CSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0421-1.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

SORRY IF I HURT ANYONE'S EYES.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
What lens are you using? It looks like you have a good grasp of how to use shallow depth of field. So, good work there. For a beginner, I think you have some great shots, much better than the first shots I ever took. :)

#1 - People who have seen me post here before know that I don't really like selective coloring. But I absolutely love how you did it in this photo. It's extremely subtle. I didn't even see it the first time I looked at the shot. For those who are wondering what I think is an example of good selective coloring, this is a great example. My only nitpicks are the harsh shadows behind the figures. You obviously had a very strong light source, and I think it detracts from the shot a bit.

#2 - Great focus and exposure. First thing, check your horizon when you're shooting. The shot is tilting to the left a bit. You can fix this in post pretty easily. I personally might have composed this one a little bit differently. The girl is in the middle of the frame, and I think it would have looked better if you'd composed the shot with her a bit more in the left side of the frame. Lastly, direct sunlight looks great to our eyes, but in a photo, it doesn't. It creates harsh shadows and blown out areas. Her face is a bit overexposed as a result and she's casting some hefty shadows.

#3 - Not much to comment on. There's too much going on and the front plate is very distracting. I might recompose this shot, and try to go for a slightly greater depth of field so as to get the entire back plate in focus.

#4 - Again, not too much to comment on. Shallow depth of field is fun to play with. Shot looks properly exposed on my monitor. I might have composed the shot differently, but that's just a personal preference.

Very nice work here. Keep it up!

Well that wasn't so bad lol. I'm glad to know im not "horrible". Well i used a Nikkor DX 18-55 in all pictures. #1 3 and 4 i just took a little over 30 minutes ago #2 i took 3 weeks AFTER i bought my D40 back in march.

I don't know much about lighting, depth, shadowing or exposure. I'm a hands on learner. When it comes to reading, it's so hard for me to grasp what it is i'm reading about since i DON'T know any terms. When i'm done i get some confused and don't know where to even start. (ADD) lol

I love taking photos.I kinda get discouraged though when see what kind of pictures my friends take, i also take it into consideration they use sigma lens with filters.

When I see pics like this, I don't know what to think. They look like you did exactly as you said, picked up the camera and took some snapshots.

I guess what I mean, is why don't you go try to take some pictures thinking artistically. Put some thought into WHAT you are shooting, and WHY. Then come back and ask for C&C.

Well I'm really not going to get into my history but i never had the chance to find a talent of mine and i don't know how to be artistic. I am now 24 and trying to find it. The best way to describe what is going on, is that i am numb. Some people can look and a flower and they can feel its beauty as to when i look at a flower all i see is just a flower.:meh:
How can you "think" artistically when you have no clue what art really is?

ALSO, how dare you to tell me to come back AFTER i have followed your instructions on how be be a "PHOTOGRAPHER" when your posting in the beginners forum as well.:confused:

Photography Beginners' Forum & Photo Gallery Brand new to photography, or brushing up on some of the basics? Don’t be shy! Talk to other beginners and ask all your basic photographic questions here. Show us some of the photos you have taken so far and get some review - so you can learn where there is room for improvement! Thanks for making me feel unwanted in here because what you said IS NOT CONSIDERED C&C just more or less a put down.:irked:

Well I'm really not going to get into my history but i never had the chance to find a talent of mine and i don't know how to be artistic. I am now 24 and trying to find it. The best way to describe what is going on, is that i am numb. Some people can look and a flower and they can feel its beauty as to when i look at a flower all i see is just a flower.:meh:

ALSO, how dare you to tell me to come back AFTER i have followed your instructions on how be be a "PHOTOGRAPHER" when your posting in the beginners forum as well.:confused:

Photography Beginners' Forum & Photo Gallery Brand new to photography, or brushing up on some of the basics? Don’t be shy! Talk to other beginners and ask all your basic photographic questions here. Show us some of the photos you have taken so far and get some review - so you can learn where there is room for improvement! Thanks for making me feel unwanted in here because what you said IS NOT CONSIDERED C&C just more or less a put down.:irked:
Please do not start this, you are a grown adult, this isn't the "lets ask for comments and just hope people says it looks like a proffesional took it", if you don't want honest critique, dont ask for it.

On a side note, are you ready to hear REAL C&C or do you just want me to tell you your photos are amazing and that i could not replicate that in any way.

When I see pics like this, I don't know what to think. They look like you did exactly as you said, picked up the camera and took some snapshots.

I guess what I mean, is why don't you go try to take some pictures thinking artistically. Put some thought into WHAT you are shooting, and WHY. Then come back and ask for C&C.

Really?
How about you go pull your head from your a$$ and then come back and try to not sound like a Dbag, in the Beginners section.

Really?
How about you go pull your head from your a$$ and then come back and try to not sound like a Dbag, in the Beginners section.

but honestly, he isn't right? he took these around his rooms at random angles, what is there to critique, no effort, at least if he put it in front of a white piece of paper or something, but no, just went around, idk, doesn't seem to me like critique-ful pictures

the title itself is "RANDOM shots"

Really?

but honestly, he isn't right? he took these around his rooms at random angles, what is there to critique, no effort, at least if he put it in front of a white piece of paper or something, but no, just went around, idk, doesn't seem to me like critique-ful pictures

the title itself is "RANDOM shots"
Nope, he sure isn't.
The post was arrogant, and not helpful nor conducive to making someone new, putting their work out there for the first time, want to come back.

Maybe give a crack at trying to understand what the goal was for the photos, and give your advice on how to make it better in your own opinion.

FOR EXAMPLE:

The first photo, very similar objects with no color, except for one that is facing the camera, with YOU on the forehead. This appears to be an attempt at manipulating DOF to get that subject to stand out of the field. Not a bad idea, maybe just some advice is needed on how to make the shot work more to your liking ;)

EDIT:
I also believe HE... is a SHE, named Amber.

I'm with dominantly on this one. I feel that this should be a forum where people feel comfortable posting on, even if it isn't always a piece of art. It really isn't a big deal to just let threads go if you don't agree with the content. If someone posts a snapshot here, it is totally ok to do so. If I don't find the pictures interesting, I push the back button. If I think of a helpful hint, I will post a reply, if not I just move along. I'm not going to give anyone attitude or tell them to or not to post.

Listen, i am NEW to this all. I don't know about angles or anything else that has to do with photography BUT one thing i do know is, i search for the right forum that I felt most comfortable. i have been reading ALOT of thread within the last few weeks on this site and when i seen the description for the "beginners" i then felt like i could learn alot. i have maybe 4 posts after this one here and i feel like i wanna keep it that way. I never asked for C&C i just said "RANDOM PICTURES" "PLEASE feel free to throw some pointers" not scare me away.
Also i never once said that i was a "professional" even a blind person would agree.
P.S IM A FEMALE for those who keep call me a "he" lol :sexywink::lol:

CRAPPY CELL PIC BUT...
amber-7-1.jpg

Listen, i am NEW to this all. I don't know about angles or anything else that has to do with photography BUT one thing i do know is, i search for the right forum that I felt most comfortable. i have been reading ALOT of thread within the last few weeks on this site and when i seen the description for the "beginners" i then felt like i could learn alot. i have maybe 4 posts after this one here and i feel like i wanna keep it that way. I never asked for C&C i just said "RANDOM PICTURES" "PLEASE feel free to throw some pointers" not scare me away.
Also i never once said that i was a "professional" even a blind person would agree.
P.S IM A FEMALE for those who keep call me a "he" lol :sexywink::lol:
Well i apologize for being a bit hostile, the photos showed that you did try and do something with them so +1 to that, the DOF looks like it was practiced on, and it also seems like you tried to play with angles. I suggest you get yourself a photography book, so you really learn theins and outs of a d40 and so you can use it to take much better photos.

As for not being artistic, you do not know how many pictures you can take that look decent and you improve on your style by going to the woods.

Hamburger,

Please stick around. This is the beginners forum and you are welcome here. You have to understand some people seem like they want to come down hard but I am going to give the benifet here. I am kind of soft hearted that way.

You have gotten more responses to your post than I think I have all of mine combinded. Good job. The biggest thing is keep shooting and keep learning. My grandfather told me something before he passed. "If you do not learn something new everyday, why bother getting out of bed."

Keep your chin up and continue posting

Besides that I like your spunk.

Michael

Indeed. I can relate to this musically as well being a musician. Art is what the individual perceives as art. There are no rules concerning art, weather it be photography, music, painting, dance, whatever.

Most reactions

Back