NEWBIE: random photos.

What book would you recommended for a person who has severe ADD and is more of a hands on kinda person then a reading person for a Nikon D40?

Get this book: Understanding Exposure

Trust me - - it's just what you are looking for. When you are done reading it, then... ...read it again!

And you have to learn: Critiquing your photos is not criticizing you as a person. Keep the two separate, or this won't work.

Learn from the critiques, keep going, and do your own thing. If you put enough effort into it, it will come. . .

Good luck!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well he's right. You sound like an arrogant little punk, and not just in this thread. You've done it numerous times. You are good at photography, as anyone who has looked through your flickr album can tell. But you seem to think that because you're good, that your poop doesn't stink, and it shows through in your posts.

I agree that the pics posted are basically snapshottish, and that the OP probably shouldn't have come off with a hostile response. After all, critique is what makes anyone better, as long as they're willing to listen to it. But that wasn't a reason to come off the way you did.

Let me ask you a question: based on what you just wrote to me, what do you think you come off as? A sweet, supportive, mature adult with constructive criticism? :thumbdown:

Now, please explain to me this statement: "that wasn't a reason to come off the way you did."

You admitted yourself that the photos looked like snapshots. How is my post different? Because I actually gave some advice as to how to improve the snapshot-looking pictures?

I don't claim to be a good photographer, and I don't walk in to posts acting like I know it all. I know very minimal about photography. But what I was doing was being honest with the OP, and truth be told I wasn't intentionally trying to insult, put down, or belittle the OP.

On the other hand, why don't you think about what you wrote and really ask yourself how appropriate it was.

I'm just someone who is going to make sure I call you on it, when you're acting like a queen.

Man, these forums really bring out the toughness in people! :hugs:

What book would you recommended for a person who has severe ADD and is more of a hands on kinda person then a reading person for a Nikon D40?

Get this book: Understanding Exposure

Trust me - - it's just what you are looking for. When you are done reading it, then... ...read it again!

And you have to learn: Critiquing your photos is not criticizing you as a person. Keep the two separate, or this won't work.

Learn from the critiques, keep going, and do your own thing. If you put enough effort into it, it will come. . .

Good luck!

I 2nd the recommendation for Understanding Exposure:thumbup: I can pick it up and always find something I missed or have long forgotten. Great book:mrgreen:

J.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Because I actually gave some advice as to how to improve the snapshot-looking pictures?

No offense here or anything, but your post was basically "Think before you shoot next time because your beginners photographers aren't good enough for C&C on the beginners forum. Get better, then come back for C&C."

I don't think you meant to come off as arrogant, but it sure looked that way to me, and to several others. And just so you know, I don't agree with how others replied to you either (including the OP), but your advice was intermingled with a seemingly (but not necessarily) arrogant, "your photos suck, come back when they're less sucky" which isn't helpful to anyone, especially a beginner posting in a beginners forum.

Really?
How about you go pull your head from your a$$ and then come back and try to not sound like a Dbag, in the Beginners section.

but honestly, he isn't right? he took these around his rooms at random angles, what is there to critique, no effort, at least if he put it in front of a white piece of paper or something, but no, just went around, idk, doesn't seem to me like critique-ful pictures

the title itself is "RANDOM shots"

When the introductory statement says "Amber," I usually conclude that it's a "she" rather than a "he."

W
How can you "think" artistically when you have no clue what art really is?

No one can tell you what is art.Art is a very subjective topic.Someone might think this is art and some might think this isn't art.Just like cubism and impressionism.No one can tell you what art is,only you yourself know what is art because it's afterall your mind not any of the members

W
How can you "think" artistically when you have no clue what art really is?

No one can tell you what is art.Art is a very subjective topic.Someone might think this is art and some might think this isn't art.Just like cubism and impressionism.No one can tell you what art is,only you yourself know what is art because it's afterall your mind not any of the members

I think the discussion should be about creativity/creative thinking, rather than "artistic/art".

...I feel that this should be a forum where people feel comfortable posting on, even if it isn't always a piece of art. It really isn't a big deal to just let threads go if you don't agree with the content. If someone posts a snapshot here, it is totally ok to do so. If I don't find the pictures interesting, I push the back button. If I think of a helpful hint, I will post a reply, if not I just move along. I'm not going to give anyone attitude or tell them to or not to post.

+1 :thumbup:

I remember some of the "first posts" from some of these posters: just because you slap a F/1.8 on the end of a camera and compose in an awkward angle does not make the result art. I would rather see someone make a genuine attempt at the mundane, than try and jerry-rig "art". All too often a few hundred points of unfocused light, and 2-minute Photoshop desaturation jobs get confused with actual work that resonates with the photographer AND the viewer.

I have a question about my d40 though. Does it have a setting to where I can look at the screen to take a photo? I was tryin to take some surface shots (camera flat on the ground) and I find it somewhat difficult because I can't see unless I'm laying on the ground also. I searched google and all I came up with was "repairs". LOL. I looked in the manual but didn't find anything. :( just figured I'd ask just in case I missed something.

The feature you're talking about is called live view and I'm pretty sure that the d40 doesn't have it. Some of the newer dslrs do have it, however. Unfortunately, you're going to have to use the viewfinder.

I think life is very different for us all so... here goes me on being numb.. I would say to look at a flower and not know how to look at it artisticly is normal.. its a damn flower. lol.. But.. to be able to feel some artisticability within might meen a lack of expressed emtion as a child or person. so.. I would say start writing some poetry to learn how to express yourself some and force yourself to be emotional in a good way. Then when you go to take some pictures - feel them more then look at them.. Thats just me.. I'm a newbie and am planing on buying my first real camera here soon so I cant comment on the cool photos you took.. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back