NEWBIE: random photos.

Well he's right. You sound like an arrogant little punk, and not just in this thread. You've done it numerous times. You are good at photography, as anyone who has looked through your flickr album can tell. But you seem to think that because you're good, that your poop doesn't stink, and it shows through in your posts.

I agree that the pics posted are basically snapshottish, and that the OP probably shouldn't have come off with a hostile response. After all, critique is what makes anyone better, as long as they're willing to listen to it. But that wasn't a reason to come off the way you did.

Well I'm really not going to get into my history but i never had the chance to find a talent of mine and i don't know how to be artistic. I am now 24 and trying to find it. The best way to describe what is going on, is that i am numb. Some people can look and a flower and they can feel its beauty as to when i look at a flower all i see is just a flower.:meh:
How can you "think" artistically when you have no clue what art really is?

Will say that in your own defense that a prior post DOES indicated you know when you see things from an artistic standpoint.
I love taking photos.I kinda get discouraged though when see what kind of pictures my friends take<snip>
You just admitted seeing the types of things you LIKE in those photos! :)

It is daunting to come to a site like this and see how REALLY GOOD a lot of folks are. But some of that had taken them years of learning pretty much in the same manner as you, hand's on approach. You could read yourself into a coma every night, but until you get out and start trying to put those ideas into practice then you only know the theory & science of photography. I say both theory and science because there is a TON of science involved, but you might be able to improve more rapidly understanding the theory behind why a shot will look a certain way through your camera despite the science. (grins)

And... am like you, am shooting to first discover what my equipment is like so when I do try to be artistic and spend beau-coups of time to compose shots (after driving whatever distances) then know what to expect out of my lenses and bodies.

Keep on shooting!

Thank you for you input. It means a lot and believe me i believe in myself to much to stop. I'm hoping to get my boyfriend involved with photography with hoping we can shoot together and teach each other.

When you talk about the "theory and science" are you mainly talking about breaking the object down of what i am shooting and what makes it so interesting and the reason why i chose to shoot it? I'm sorry i over analyze ALOT of things and didnt quite understand what you where talking about. Please can you possible break that down a little more?

When you talk about the "theory and science" are you mainly talking about breaking the object down of what i am shooting and what makes it so interesting and the reason why i chose to shoot it? I'm sorry i over analyze ALOT of things and didnt quite understand what you where talking about. Please can you possible break that down a little more?

Theory is where something describes the idea behind something. An example would be composition. The more various kinds of things included in a photo makes it either interesting or busy (or both!). Wildlife photography might include a bird with a dragonfly captured within it's beak while sitting on a pine bough with snow-capped mountains in the background. Yet to get all those things into one photo, you have to have the timing to catch it before it downs the meal AND to get the right perspective for the subject, foreground and background.

The science is the hard and fast laws which prevent you from doing the things you like AND to help explain how you did those which you did. The aperture and shutter speed dictate how much "light" is allowed through the lens. So not only do you have over and underexposure concerns, you have to decide what needs to get the exposure, how to fill in the darkened areas, what kind of lens filters to use and what kind of post-processing is possible on the digital image or film. Snow-capped mountains will be very bright, so the less light you allow in, the darker the sky is, since snow never gets "blacker". :) So the more items in the composed shot, the more you have to think about or worry over.

Yet there will be times when you walk outside, snap a quick shot off of something and look at it later and go "WOW, I did that?!?" That's because you are starting to set your camera up before the shot so all you had to do was focus (or allow autofocus to set) and click. Since you are shooting digital, it's cheaper to learn... but you might want to keep a photo diary of what you were trying to do and what the settings were so you can later go back and look at the image, your notes and decide how successful you were.

Ok, I figured it was something along that nature. So would you recommend that I invest into some filters that way I have more to play around with and get the experience with the science part of the shoot? I wish I lived near mountains and woods because I would have alot of time to get intouch with my artistic side. I live near the city and it's so grimey there that it's not worth taking pictures but maybe I should since I know the theory behind it. I don't know the difference between the filters. Listen i'm so thankful for your time and knowledge. :) IM SORRY IM ON MY IPHONE AND IT'S HARD TO EDIT YOUR POST ON HERE. lol so please excuse me is somethings are not spelled correctly.

Investing in filters is a great idea if you are going to be doing a lot of various kinds of shots. The most common are UV/Polarizing, Haze and Skylight. Filters lost a lot of popularity with the onset of the digital age due to post-processing. But using a florescent filter when not using a flash under that type of lighting will insure proper color balance.

The biggest reason screw on filters are still so popular is that you have a basic lens protector at a fraction of the cost of replacing/repairing your lenses. There are sites that do detail what filters to use for which settings.

I wish I lived near mountains and woods because I would have alot of time to get intouch with my artistic side. I live near the city and it's so grimey there that it's not worth taking pictures.

As if you can only be artsy in the mountains or woods.
*pfft*

Being artistic, or creative, is more about how you see the world, how you capture it, how you manipulate it, and how you present it with your own voice to share with others. There are interesting things EVERYWHERE, but if you don't have the eye for it they are missed. :meh:

When I see pics like this, I don't know what to think. They look like you did exactly as you said, picked up the camera and took some snapshots.

I guess what I mean, is why don't you go try to take some pictures thinking artistically. Put some thought into WHAT you are shooting, and WHY. Then come back and ask for C&C.

Really?
How about you go pull your head from your a$$ and then come back and try to not sound like a Dbag, in the Beginners section.

Geez, who do you think you are? :lmao:
I'm just someone who is going to make sure I call you on it, when you're acting like a queen.

I wish I lived near mountains and woods because I would have alot of time to get intouch with my artistic side. I live near the city and it's so grimey there that it's not worth taking pictures.

As if you can only be artsy in the mountains or woods.
*pfft*

Being artistic, or creative, is more about how you see the world, how you capture it, how you manipulate it, and how you present it with your own voice to share with others. There are interesting things EVERYWHERE, but if you don't have the eye for it they are missed. :meh:
well said, im learning more and more that although i cant drive yet due to unforseen circmustances, just around your house and backyard there's a WORLD of adventure ;)

Well I'm really not going to get into my history but i never had the chance to find a talent of mine and i don't know how to be artistic. I am now 24 and trying to find it. The best way to describe what is going on, is that i am numb. Some people can look and a flower and they can feel its beauty as to when i look at a flower all i see is just a flower.:meh:
How can you "think" artistically when you have no clue what art really is?

ALSO, how dare you to tell me to come back AFTER i have followed your instructions on how be be a "PHOTOGRAPHER" when your posting in the beginners forum as well.:confused:

Photography Beginners' Forum & Photo Gallery Brand new to photography, or brushing up on some of the basics? Don&#8217;t be shy! Talk to other beginners and ask all your basic photographic questions here. Show us some of the photos you have taken so far and get some review - so you can learn where there is room for improvement! Thanks for making me feel unwanted in here because what you said IS NOT CONSIDERED C&C just more or less a put down.:irked:

This sort of thing will not help your photography. Maybe some of the reply that you got your undies in a bunch over weren't appropriate, maybe they were, I'm not sure. Sounds like you have some "hot button" issues to contend with, outside of the realm of photography.

If the responder was being an asshat, and I'm not saying he/she was, just go on down the thread. Take a class. Do something constructive with your camera, that you'll enjoy for years to come. This forum has many members, so you're going to get the "holier than thou" attitude once in a while. P.S. There's a secret little button hid inside your control panel. It's called the "ignore user" button. Might want to give it a try, if your asshairs catch afire that easily.

J.:lol:

Ambition comes from within.

Talent can't be taught.

Skills can be learned.

Rules can be followed.

Have fun with your camera.

Aw crap, I break the rules all of the time...Not that I have, but many great photographers have developed great styles and techniques by ignoring line number 3 "Rules can be followed".:lol:

J.:mrgreen:

Put some thought into WHAT you are shooting, and WHY.
This is actually great advice. For all beginners.

I completely agree. Unfortunately, the rest of that post was basically, "Your beginners shots aren't good enough for critique on the beginners forum, so come back when they're better" which isn't really helpful at all.

Talent can't be taught.

Skills can be learned.

Rules can be followed.

Aw crap, I break the rules all of the time...Not that I have, but many great photographers have developed great styles and techniques by ignoring line number 3 "Rules can be followed".:lol:

Yeah, when you understand the rules enough to break them. But that's not where we are at, at the moment, is it? The rules allow a beginners photo's to become more interesting. If the beginner goes beyond that, that's super. If not, at least they can take some decent pictures.

The sad truth is, not everyone with a camera will become a "great photographer".

Put some thought into WHAT you are shooting, and WHY.
This is actually great advice. For all beginners.

I'm just someone who is going to make sure I call you on it, when you're acting like a queen.
Like that ancient proverb, "It takes one, to know one."
I recognize the originator of that ancient proverb, I believe he was also credited for "Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"...

Luckily he wasn't afforded further opportunities to create retarded proverbs.

Talent can't be taught.

Skills can be learned.

Rules can be followed.

Yeah, when you understand the rules enough to break them. But that's not where we are at, at the moment, is it? The rules allow a beginners photo's to become more interesting. If the beginner goes beyond that, that's super. If not, at least they can take some decent pictures.

The sad truth is, not everyone with a camera will become a "great photographer".

Yep, you're right there. I've been at it for a while, and never became a great photographer.:lol:

And technically you're right also, guess that's why I get more trash can bound shot's than keepers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back