Nice or just "so-so"?

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was messing last night with the daughter's red fluffy blanket and a daffodil from the vase on the windowsill. I was trying to use the cheapo ring-flash I have instead of on camera flash. So, did it work, or is it just so-so?

Daffodil 20 March 2012 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

looks good to me. Perhaps it would look even better if you brightened up the flower and blew away some of the detail. The good detail level in this picture works against it IMO.
I like the centered composition.

looks good to me. Perhaps it would look even better if you brightened up the flower and blew away some of the detail. The good detail level in this picture works against it IMO.
I like the centered composition.

Just goes to show...everything you say is opposite to other people's views. :)

Very subjective, isn't it? :)

true that. And lately I have been obsessed with saturation, vibrance and highlights. so probably i have them burned in to my eyes.

Like everyone (I guess), I think of the daffodil as a very definite spring flower since they only bloom for a couple of weeks in early spring - it invokes thoughts of blossom and bluebells and blue sky and warm sun and William Wordsworth. Therefore, it doesn't really make much sense to me to see a daffodil on an empty black background. It looks like it's in the "wrong place". It also looks as though it's been cut and pasted onto the background because the petals and the background contrast almost violently with each other.

I also don't think the centred composition works. I know people like to say, "Ignore the Rule of Thirds; it's more a guideline than a rule". But, if there is one scenario where the rule of thirds should probably be adhered to, it must be when you have a single subject on a plain background surrounded by dead space. There is nothing anchoring the flower and nothing to relate it to.

Finally, the very dark, very thick grey border just serves as an annoying I-can-only-see-it-if-I-don't-look-directly-at-it distraction.

Having said all that, I think you nailed the exposure on the petals!

I dig it.. nice "pop"

Like everyone (I guess), I think of the daffodil as a very definite spring flower since they only bloom for a couple of weeks in early spring - it invokes thoughts of blossom and bluebells and blue sky and warm sun and William Wordsworth. Therefore, it doesn't really make much sense to me to see a daffodil on an empty black background. It looks like it's in the "wrong place". It also looks as though it's been cut and pasted onto the background because the petals and the background contrast almost violently with each other.

I also don't think the centred composition works. I know people like to say, "Ignore the Rule of Thirds; it's more a guideline than a rule". But, if there is one scenario where the rule of thirds should probably be adhered to, it must be when you have a single subject on a plain background surrounded by dead space. There is nothing anchoring the flower and nothing to relate it to.

Finally, the very dark, very thick grey border just serves as an annoying I-can-only-see-it-if-I-don't-look-directly-at-it distraction.

Having said all that, I think you nailed the exposure on the petals!

Thanks...I think! ;)

The background isn't black, though...it's red. I was working on the idea of exposing the flower well, and keeping a nice background which wasn't messed up by the flash etc. I do agree that it could use a crop, though. :)

Cheers

V. Nice! It simple, its classic, its daffodil.

I looked at your site and it is one of your best flower photos.

Keep up the good work...Send in more!

Looks like you nailed the flower...but I would suggest a tighter crop, and lose the border!:)

V. Nice! It simple, its classic, its daffodil.

I looked at your site and it is one of your best flower photos.

Keep up the good work...Send in more!

Thank you. :)

Looks like you nailed the flower...but I would suggest a tighter crop, and lose the border!:)

Yeah, I was keeping the BG as the idea was to try and nail the flower and have a nice BG. But I do agree....it needs cropping. Border...yeah, every once in a while I make one and then I stop using them again. :)

Since the flower is looking up towards the left corner, it would be best seen towards right bottom corner...the maroon colored background is my recent fascination too....The color of the flower stem is not matching and that can be minimized by lowering the position of the flower too...the flower itself is magical

regards :D

Since the flower is looking up towards the left corner, it would be best seen towards right bottom corner...the maroon colored background is my recent fascination too....The color of the flower stem is not matching and that can be minimized by lowering the position of the flower too...the flower itself is magical

regards :D
T

Thank you. :)

Most reactions

Back