nikkor 80-200mm F2.8D question?

markj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just received my 80-200mm lens today, and so far very impressed with built quality and image quality.
1 question though; when am I suppose to use the "FULL" setting? "Limit" setting?

TIA

FULL allows the lens the ability to autofocus throughout the ENTIRE focusing range, which can at times, be an undesired ability. There have been multiple 80-200 models, and the limiter switch's position has changed a bit with the different models, and it's been years since I had my 80-200. Can't recall if the D variant has a three-position limiter, or not. Regardless, the "Limit" concept is designed to PREVENT the lens from focusing through part of its range. For example, if you'll be shooting inside of say, an office room or a big living room, then there will be NO NEED whatsoever for autofocus beyond, let's say 5 meters, then the limit switch could help speed up focusing by "limiting" the maximum focusing distance. In a slightly different scenario, let's say a BASEBALL game, seated behind the backstop: the strong pattern of the backstop's netting or chain-link fencing will make the AF system "want to lock on" to that patterned material: setting the limiter to prevent CLOSE-focusing will keep the lens from being able to "hunt for focus" in a uselessly CLOSE range that is far,far outside of the desired focusing distance range.

I want to know what you think of that lens cause I was thinking about that too but I think I'd just save up and go all out..

There's not much about this lens that I don't like. First of all, and maybe most importantly it is razor sharp at all focal lengths. The built quality is impressive. I really like the textured
look and feel. It doesn't have VR, but weighing in at about 4 lbs, this tank will be mounted on a tripod or monopod probably 90% of the time anyways.
Everybody wants the 70-200mm VR11, but in my case photography is a hobby, I have no intention of making a living at it. So to spend over $2K would probably cost my marriage.
I purchased used (I would rate the condition a solid 9 out of 10) delivered for $700. For me, buying it was a no-brainer. Good luck with what ever you decide, Liukang.

Thanks Derrel for your explanation.

One friend of mine uses this lens, so I have got to get my hands on it from time to time. First of all, I'm impressed with its
focusing speed, though it doesn't have its own motor drive, it still focuses pretty fast. I also find the sharpness of this lens is, as marks said, very impressive throughout the focal length. However, there are some flaw. The focusing system fast, yet in some focal length, isn't accurate, some (not sure if my friend get the flawed one) even back focuses at 200mm. One other thing, the lens's autofocus isn't compatible with the d3xxx, d5xxx nor d4x-6x series.

So, test it thoroughly before actually buying it then. It's a very impressive telephoto lens to have, and if you don't have these problems, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

Its focusing speed really depends on which camera you use it on. On my d90, it seems to have a little trouble focusing at times. However, on my d700 its perfect. Next, you need to look out for the manual/auto ring. I hear many of them are broken. Mine personally does not lock so if i nudge it too much it'll pop out of af mode. The iq is top notch. Definitely try it out before you buy to make sure its what you want.

...the lens's autofocus isn't compatible with the d3xxx, d5xxx nor d4x-6x series.

Ok, I guess this wouldn't be for me based on that. Thanks for the info...
Right now, I'm playing with the Sigma AF-MF Zoom EX DG APO MACRO HSM 70-200mm F2.8 on my D300 trying to figure out if I should keep it or move up to what eveyone's grail len, the 70-200mm VRII. But the fact is, I have a lot of money into this stuff already and wouldn't mind cutting back a bit if I can get something just as good a bit cheaper... But I think in the end, I'll break down and just get it.

LiuKang said:
Right now, I'm playing with the Sigma AF-MF Zoom EX DG APO MACRO HSM 70-200mm F2.8 on my D300 trying to figure out if I should keep it or move up to what eveyone's grail len, the 70-200mm VRII. But the fact is, I have a lot of money into this stuff already and wouldn't mind cutting back a bit if I can get something just as good a bit cheaper... But I think in the end, I'll break down and just get it.

Head-on with the VRII? If you have enough money (not being financially collapsed after the purchase) for it, enough stamina to carry it, just go for it. Well, it's not just a bit you'd have to add for the VRII, but that means you get a Nano Crystal coating, the new focusing system, the better optics and the VR.

LiuKang said:

Head-on with the VRII? If you have enough money (not being financially collapsed after the purchase) for it, enough stamina to carry it, just go for it. Well, it's not just a bit you'd have to add for the VRII, but that means you get a Nano Crystal coating, the new focusing system, the better optics and the VR.

Well, I'm upgrading a bit. I have a D3X on the way and well, I don't want to get just an okay lens for that body. I'm shooting with the 105 VR and love that. I have a few FX lens but want something that will really make the best use of the funds I dropped for a D3X if you know what I mean. I got the Sigma to do much better for me today but it wasn't where I want it to be. I only had it on a D300 which I love and tried it on the D90... but I don't think it's going to knock my socks off. Trying to find a great deal on the VRII. I've heard many good things about it and everyone wants it. Sort of like the 105VR and I love that lens, so hoping I'll feel the same way about the VRII...

OP congrats on the lens. I have had mine for a year now and I love it. The focusing is good on my D700 and I have had no issues with it whatsoever.

Most reactions

Back