Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR Autofocus Lens

Everyone here has pretty much covered most of it. But I actually own this lens. Just got it a few weeks ago after trying all the major brands/off brand of a all-in-one for doing what you want to do.

First, the convenience is nice, not having to change out a lens for some wide angle stuff and zoom for kids playing soccer etc..

The issue is, there are limitations at the very wide end and the extreme zoom end.

I tested the Quantaray from Ritz, it was ok for $400, but the image quality was all over the place hit/miss. Have VR for stabilization that worked well. Better than the Tamron lens I list below for less money.

I then paid a lot more for the Tamron 18-270mm. The auto focus is noisy and just terrible over all. For a $600 lens, this thing is a waste of money. the VR technology worked well and the extra 70mm zoom was nice over the competition, but I can't even begin to tell you how furious I was after trying to take photos of my daughter's soccer game...missed shots due to pathethic auto focus speed, just plain noisy...complete junk.

Finally just spent the $700 and went with the Nikon Nikkor 18-200mm...without a doubt, the best of the all-in-one. Fast and dead silent auto focus and overall very good photos. Again, this has it's limitations at the wide/zoom ends, but the sweet spot has produced some great stuff so far. I have a D90 body by the way. DPReview and other's that have tested this agree along with everyone, best all around lens for the Nikon bodies 18-200mm. VR stabilization works great, have yet to miss anything due to auto focus etc...It has been slow a couple of times, but with fast moving stuff and mid-range photography equipment, that is to be expected. Any other issues this lens has can be dealt with post photo editing.

Overall, this is a great lens for walk around to capture all types of stuff, isn't heavy, the zooming/slide is pretty smooth and hasn't crept yet at all while hanging down.

If you are looking for a Nikon all around, don't waste your time/money looking at any other brand, they just don't compare...let me be the one who did the work and wasted all the time to just end up where everyone else says you should be...get this lens if this is what you are in the market for.

Overall I may have been a bit harsh but overall despite being the best superzoom available I still think there is so much better to be had which is what I was trying to get at. All of what I said goes doubly worse for the competition but it's all a matter of compromises, in this case quality vs convenience.

It does come down to who purchases it and for what purpose, but again looking at things like the distortion, even when not a professional shooter the last thing you want is to spend +$1500 on lens + camera and then end up with a distorted image with vignetted corners.

Overall I may have been a bit harsh
No, not at all. It is good to voice an opinion and offers more info for the poeple to make an informed decision from. :)

even when not a professional shooter the last thing you want is to spend +$1500 on lens + camera and then end up with a distorted image with vignetted corners.

Same could be said of the D3 and a 70-200... it vignettes like a mofo and is near 4 times that amount, but we seem to accept that without issues?

I think that setting realistic expectations are important and it is good that we have conversations like this. For some the vignetting and/or distortionis a deal breaker. For others, they won't be affected by it and enjoy it all anyways. I do suggest to the purchasers that before making any such purchase, that they try the lens out on their camera and see the results themselves.

Same could be said of the D3 and a 70-200... it vignettes like a mofo and is near 4 times that amount, but we seem to accept that without issues?.

Hardly. I haven't seen anyone accept this lens. The internet is nothing but complaints about the 70-200 on full frame. Not just for the vignetting issue but also corner sharpness. I have seen the 80-200 recommended as an upgrade :lmao:

i use my 18-200 nikon more than anything else. great lense. although i have been considering selling it to put towards the 70-200 vr 2.8

Nikon AF-S DX 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR IF-EDlens is the good one of quality.With many focal length that make convenient for use.Fully the system protects a picture shakes , but if person who take portrait photographs or landscape picture.And expect high-quality. for example , if you take a portrait picture by emphasize clear sharpness , might give a result not good equal the lens for take portrait picture such as , AF 85 mm/1.8 or AF 105 mm.f/2 DC or even if AF-S 70-200/2.8G IF-ED .And when you take a landscape picture, might give a result at center area arrives at picture edge has the curvature or wrong the proportion which differentwith wide angle lens .In conclusion , if , you want some lens for travel and take photographs , and don't want to lead many lenses go to , and a picture that can record to don't emphasize many quality extremely , The AF-S DX 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR IF-ED lensis the good choice for you.

Thanks
Lovedigital
lovedigital.blogspot | learn digital | make money online |

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back