Nikon 70-200/80-200 f2.8

acparsons

Photo Hunter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking at these two lenses Nikon 70-200 Vr2/80-200 f2.8D. I want a sharp and dependable lens with the best quality possible. Is it worth the extra cash for the 70-200?

Just get the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 G2.

The 70-200 has VR. Is VR important to you? Once I used a 70-200, I did not want to go back to hand-holding an 80-200 or other long lens without VR.

The 80-200 D has a mechanical autofocus. That means it can only autofocus on cameras with an in-body autofocus motor.
The FTZ adapter for the new Z cameras does not support mechanical autofocus lenses.

I think that IQ wise they are pretty close. The difference is the 70-200 is an AF-S with a built in focusing motor which is much quieter and it has VR making it much easier (at least for me) handhold.

Looking at these two lenses Nikon 70-200 Vr2/80-200 f2.8D. I want a sharp and dependable lens with the best quality possible. Is it worth the extra cash for the 70-200?

I think so.

Thanks for the replies. I'm weighing my option$.

I've had both and currently own the 70-200 f/2.8, I like it better.
Keep your eyes open on eBay, that's where I got mine.

I don't care for the internal focus motor (AF-S) lenses. Had 2 fail on me and won't give another the chance. Just my experience.

I don't care for the internal focus motor (AF-S) lenses. Had 2 fail on me and won't give another the chance. Just my experience.

Well that's sh***y luck! I've never had a problem.

I'm sure you're not alone but twice and I'm out. Don't care for plastic much as well. In my experience when they start squeaking the fat lady is rising from the chair for her aria.

If you want reliable get the 80-200/2.8D and skip any model with AF-S. Image wise they’re pretty close but all of the 70-200’s are better than the 80-200’s in one way or another (bells and whistles) with the exception of long term reliability.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back