Nikon 80-200mm or Sigma 70-200mm?

ImNick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking to buy either of these lenses in the next few weeks. I'm not worried about the extra 10mm the Sigma has. I'm more worried about how fast they focus and image quality which I am sure they both produce really good quality images. I'd just like some input from someone who has had experience with either or both of these lenses. Thanks.

Amazon.com: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD Large Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've heard that for the price and compared to the Nikon, the optical quality is average. But for the price, you get OS. Which kinda makes it a deal.

i got my 70-200 HSM II for 600 used.

IF you going to buy one of the 2 i would take the sigma os. motor is fast, silent and OS well, it works.

I've had the twin-ring 80-200 AF-D, and the IQ is superb, but the focusing can be a bit on the slower side. As for the Sigma.... never used it, but you're looking at forking out that kind of $$, why not just get the Nikon VR I ???

I've had the twin-ring 80-200 AF-D, and the IQ is superb, but the focusing can be a bit on the slower side. As for the Sigma.... never used it, but you're looking at forking out that kind of $$, why not just get the Nikon VR I ???

Can you find one other than used anywhere nowadays?

Yep the sigma for overall use would be a better option. As my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D two-ring was a tad slow on AF compared to the Sigma I tried. Image IQ is very close. The nikon of course is a better built beast and is a beautifully crafted Classic with outstanding Image IQ and Bokeh. But the optimal choice which would be the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR AF-S which can be had used $1300-$1600 range. Barring that would probably choose the Sigma 2nd before the nikon AF-D as sports and wildlife needing fast AF as possible and having OS giving me more slower shutter options for static shots.

I probably wouldnt mind a used VR I. How's that compare to the 80-200 and the sigma?

Im looking to buy either of these lenses in the next few weeks. I'm not worried about the extra 10mm the Sigma has. I'm more worried about how fast they focus and image quality which I am sure they both produce really good quality images. I'd just like some input from someone who has had experience with either or both of these lenses. Thanks.

Amazon.com: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD Large Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

I'd go with the Nikon. OS is definitely nice, but I rather go with better sharpness, color contrast, built quality and bokeh. I actually prefer the bokeh of this lens over my 85/1.8. Plus resale value is much better as well and the AF may be slightly slower but its no slouch. I doubt you'll need that tiny extra speed in everyday shooting.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I probably wouldnt mind a used VR I. How's that compare to the 80-200 and the sigma?

Build of the 80-200 and speed and VR of the sigma. Best of both worlds. Most that go with Nikon 80-200 is due to budget. But if possible I would have bought a used Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR AF-S to address all my doubts and have the best in build,speed and VR to cover all the bases.

Just to throw in a comment, i use sigma and nikon but my go to lens is my Nikon 70-200 VRI. If you can find one used get it.

Thanks so much everyone! I'm definitely going to try my best to get my hands on a VRI.

Where are you guys finding the VRI new???

The OP topic compared Amazon lenses

Don't think you will find competitive places having them new. As been replaced with the VR II version. Tho may find a shop or place that still has one in stock. Or same places will have Used or Refurb's available.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back