Nikon D3100 or D90?

ThatGingerNoob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 28-200mm lens that my mom gave me that she used on her ~12 year old Nikon film camera. I would like to upgrade my little point and shoot and really get into photography, and after looking for a while, I have narrowed my decision down to either the d3100 or the d90. If I get the d3100, I will have some money to use to get another possibly nicer lens, while if I get the d90 I will be stuck with the 28-200 for a few months until I have the money to get a new lens. From what I have read though, the d90 is a considerably nicer camera than the d3100, so I am kind of stuck. Anyone have any suggestions?

HUGE difference in those two. Hands down it's the D90.
The d3100 is kind of stripped down in general. The D5100 is a huge improvement from the D3100 while still being entry level. The sensor in the D3100 isn't the greatest on the market. It's kinda like a step between a bridge camera and a DSLR.

of course D90, the D3100 is the replacement of D3000, that for basic fotography for beginner

Absolutely agree. The D90 is head and shoulders above the D3100.

The fact that you already have an AF lens makes this decision easy. It will work properly on the D90, it won't autofocus on the D3100, so that takes care of the price difference. (You guys only seem to mention this when the person asking doesn't have an old lens.)

I had the D90 and not going into it but had to sell it i loved it as it was my first SLR i just got a 3100 as a gift to get me back into photography. But its not as good as D90 i was not happy that it can't braket for HDR as im really intrested to learn HDR .

D90....sold mine today to get a D7000, but thats a whole other story. Haha I had nothing but positive things to say about my D90, great camera!

Yep, D90 is the best choice for your situation, given that you have a non AF-S lenses already.
Buying that D90 instead of the D3100 may mean no money for another lens for a while, but honestly, you'll have your hands full for a few months learning all the basics of your new DSLR anyway, waiting a few months for another lens really shouldn't slow you down.

I, on the other hand, have had my D5100 since August, and I am about to DIE if I don't get at least ONE lens that isn't the kit lens!!:lol:
I've been working my tail off on two contract jobs (design work, not photography) and as soon as I get paid, I'm buying a nifty fifty (albeit probably 1.8 instead of 1.4), and maybe a zoom of some sort too, if I can find a good one for a good price.

Nikon D3100 vs D90
Comparing the 3100 to the D90 is pretty much a no brainer however,
Nikon D5100 vs D90
When you compare it to the 5100 things get a little blurry. I am using the companies 5100 and I love it but, I wish it would auto-focus my older 50mm, 28-80mm, and 70-300mm AF lenses I bought 10 yrs ago for my n80 which it won't because it doesn't have an internal focusing motor. Best advise would be to save your money for a d7000.

I agree -- go with the D90 or if you can, the D7000. I have the D3100 -- I am a beginner, but the one thing I really have issues with is the overall size of the D3100. It is small in the hands and more difficult to grip in my opinion than the D90. Again, I think the D3100 takes fine pictures if you are just getting into photography and the price is less, but I am looking to upgrade to the D7000 as soon as I can to allow more room for growth, bracketing for HDR and the overall size/grip (I know that sounds silly, but it makes a difference to me). Enjoy!

Also, one more thing. Are refurbished cameras reliable? I found one on bhphotovideo.com and it is considerably cheaper than a new one. What are your guys' thoughts?

Good that you decided to go with the D90 instead, you won't regret it. Not the biggest fan of the 3100.

I own the 3100, and I'm curious as to why you're not a big fan?

I am a Nikon d90 owner and think the you will prefer the D90 due to it's much greater usability!

I think though the D3100 is being unfairly judged here, it has extremely good perfomance. Nikon do not release half assed cameras like Sony do, they release cameras that do the job in the segment they are aiming at. The D3100 is a beginners camera and it is a fantastic Beginners camera, simple as that. The rubbish The features of the D90 could well be pointless to a person who is used to using a P and S, meaning the D3100 is the perfect step into DSLR photography.

Alot of people here are coming out with statements such as 'the d3100 is a beginners camera'. The OP is a beginner, he just said that. Let me put it this way, when I first moved from a compact to a DSLR, the D90 would of been complete overkill for me. I didn't even know what the aperture priority mode was, let alone knowing what bracketing meant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back