Nikon D70

DAKK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im looking to finally get a dlsr and move up from my point and shoot. Well i know its a little older but its well within my price range and i was wonderin what you guys thought of it??

I still own and use a d70. It's a nice well built little camera with interesting features. It's not the fastest shooter or the best in high iso though. The viewfinder is like peering into the bottom of a well and the lcd is minuscule compared to recent offerings. It will sync with a lot of flashes all the way to its maximum 1/8000 sec shutter speed, it has a focus motor, it can act as a cls commander, has two control wheels, a programable function button, and fairly accessible wb and iso controls. My wife prefers it to my d700, she uses it with a 18-70 lens and a sb400. She shoots jpegs exclusively and she gets very nice images from it.

You might want to look into pre-owned d80 for higher pixel count or to d90 for better performance.

Please make the appropriate capital letters and punctuation. Most forum members do, because it improves readability.

The big advantage the D70 has, Patrice mentioned. The D70's ability to x-sync flash at higher than normal shutter speeds, because it has an electronic shutter rather than a mechanical shutter.
Nikon states the x-sync speed as 1/500, but...... Nikon's D40 and the D70s also have the electronic shutter, and can also x-sync flash at high shutter speeds.

The D70s will get you a larger LCD screen (2", instead of 1.8"), and 18 mm focal length popup flash coverage compared to the D70 20 mm focal length popup flash coverage.

6 MP is plenty, but the high ISO performance of the CCD image sensor can make indoor shooting problematic if you are using consumer grade lenses.

I've shot some images of which I'm still very proud with my old D70 (May it rest in peace) and 18-70 kit lens. As mentioned, if you can swing it, the D80 or 90 are that much better, but the '70 is a good piece of kit!

Most reactions

Back