Nikon D850 advice needed (wife approval imminent!!!!)

charlie76

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dearest TPF friends,

After months of badgering and manipulation , I have almost convinced my wife to approve a purchase of the almighty D850! I expect to obtain full wifely approval this weekend, possibly place the order today!!!!!!! This is big time Charlie-Christmas/Happy-Birthday-to-me, and an input would be appreciated from my trusted TPF-ers!

Now...before I pull the trigger on this, I feel it's a good idea to ask my peers here on TPF for any feedback or opinions. This camera is mucho-$$$ (by my standards) and is a serious, long-term purchase for me (oh ya, and also my family). I shoot mostly fine art, landscape, rural glory, B&W, some urban stuff, etc.

That said....can anyone offer input on the following 2 very important questions:

1. Is there anything I should know about this camera that isn't obvious? It is massive resolution, full-frame glory! Any bad points (besides the file size and computer power needed for processing)??? ......let us hope nobody answers this one:)

2. (THE BIG ONE!). Lenses! Given the price of the body, Nikon lenses are also very expensive. I do not have wife approval for a lens...so I'll have to think of something. My other lenses are all DX. Any holy cow...the full-frame lenses are big bucks. Can any of my friends here offer suggestions on which lenses I should avoid, and which are good (besides the obvious Nikon)? I'm thinking Sigma, Tamron, Nikon (obviously). Not sure I can afford a Nikon lens at this point...with 5 kids all under the age of 5!!

Thank you to my trusted fellows!

***PS. TPF please bring back the mobile phone app!!!!

The D850 is a fantastic piece of kit, and I really like mine, WHEN I USE IT. Note the caveat. Yes, a >$5000 body, the newest I own, is possibly the least used one, out of all my bodies (except for my MF film gear). Why? Because frankly, 95% of the time I don't need it. It gives me way more than is necessary. Now when I do need it... hoooooo boy, does it perform! That said however, if I might make a suggestion: Since you're [I assume] getting Ministerial approval on the amount to spend and not the specific body, consider a gently used D810, grip, and a nice 24-70 f2.8. I think you will get WAY more benefit out of that then you will from a D850 and sub-par glass. You really need the BEST glass to get the benefit from that sensor!

Yes, yes, thanks for the input. I just got an email form Nikon. They have a refurbished 810 up there now for a good deal cheaper than new. I could use the remaining "authorized" funds for a better lens. Your comment about needing the "BEST" glass for the 850 sensor is giving me anxiety. Thanks again.

2. (THE BIG ONE!). Lenses! Given the price of the body, Nikon lenses are also very expensive. I do not have wife approval for a lens...so I'll have to think of something. My other lenses are all DX. Any holy cow...the full-frame lenses are big bucks. Can any of my friends here offer suggestions on which lenses I should avoid, and which are good (besides the obvious Nikon)? I'm thinking Sigma, Tamron, Nikon (obviously). Not sure I can afford a Nikon lens at this point...with 5 kids all under the age of 5!!
1. How does one end up with all DX lenses?

2. Yes, your photographic endeavours will benefit immensely with top-quality glass, so better have a plan to pick some up. No, ignore third-party lenses with a very few exceptions. Nikon lenses are at the top of the heap, IMO. Save some money and purchase some of the older lenses that are kown for their quality. Here's a short list of lenses to start looking for: (in no particular order)

The venerable 180 2.8: nikon 180mm f/2.8 af | eBay
Excellent color rendition, use for individual portraits, etc.

Another outstanding portrait lens: nikkor 105mm f/2 dc | eBay
Not easy to learn, but the bokeh master, and a bit shorter than the 180.

A good short zoom for everyday casual shooting: nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5g vr | eBay

An outstanding wide angle: nikon nikkor 20mm 1.8g ed af-s | eBay

Don't automatically assume you need to purchase any certain lens without first considering what you want to photograph.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reading your post it would appear you have a dx camera. Any modern Nikon fx will give you improvements. Do you need more than 24mp? The d750 is an amazing camera with bundles going at a good price. Not trying to talk you out of a d850, I bought a d810 only 2 weeks ago, there is an awful lot to like, however I'll put my hands up and say I probably don't need a camera with such high specs

Yes, folks thank you. Yes, I've had a Nikon D7000 for years and so I'll have to buy full-frame lenses now to use my new body.

Designer: Your a good man (or woman?)...and thank you for that tip. I will not waste my $$ on cheap lenses with a hig-res sensor. It is tempting though, but I swear I wont! Looks like I'll put the body in the closet and save up for the lens. I will look into your suggestions now, and thanks again for that. I especially like the Nikon 24-85mm.

Jaomul: I'd probably get just as much from the 810, and you sound happy with yours. I was only looking at the 810 b/c the price is not too much more, and if I'm spending this much on a body, why not spend a little more on the most MP I can get!? I'm looking into the 810 today, following advice from you and tirediron.

Designer: Your a good man (or woman?)...and thank you for that tip. I will not waste my $$ on cheap lenses with a hig-res sensor. It is tempting though, but I swear I wont! Looks like I'll put the body in the closet and save up for the lens. I will look into your suggestions now, and thanks again for that. I especially like the Nikon 24-85mm.
A man, thank you very much.

No! Don't put the fabulous D850 in the closet! Use the lenses you have, for goodness sake! The camera will automatically go into "DX" mode when it senses a DX lens on it, so just use what you have for now. Most of my collection was assembled with the idea of portraiture, so that is why I recommended some excellent portrait lenses.

I have only two zooms, the 24-85 and a 70-300 (G-VR the good one) with the remainder being primes. That 24-85 is the default on my D7100 unless I change it. When I was doing the AF fine-tuning, the 70-300 was the only lens that did not need any adjustment. !!! and it is very quick and quiet to focus. Just for kicks: nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g ed af-s vr | eBay It isn't a lens for everyday snapshots, but it has its uses. And fairly affordable.

My wife is critical of my purchases only if I am not using them. Better use the D850 A LOT.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would buy a D800 or D810 used and get three or four good used lenses. Coming from the D7000, the D610 would be a big upgrade.

I follow Derrel on this one.

And what do you need all the resolution for? Big prints? you crop a lot?
The D850 is awesome, it's a huge step up from the D7000 (and size too!)
I once was thinking to upgrade to FF too, but I swapped my D7100 for a D7500, got myself a sigma 18-35 F1.8. and honestly... I don't think I want to swap anymore xD.

Lots of great advice already and I'd seriously consider saving some money by buying used from one of the well respected online sellers like Adorama or B&H. From what you stated you typically shoot I'd look for a good deal on a used 800, 810 or 850 and also a used Nikon 24-70.

B&H has used 850's in 9+ condition for $500 less than new, probably open box/display models. I'd call and see if you get the full warranty on one of those. Then with the other $500 i'm sure the nice folks here can direct you to some of the best older full frame lenses that will fit your style of shooting and budget. Some of those older lenses can be had cheap and they can be really really good.

..I swapped my D7100 for a D7500, got myself a sigma 18-35 F1.8. and honestly... I don't think I want to swap anymore xD.
You might consider reversing that swap.

You went from a very good D7100 to the mis-named D"7500" which should have been named the D5700, and a Sigma lens instead of a good lens.

Too bad.

I would buy a D800 or D810 used and get three or four good used lenses. Coming from the D7000, the D610 would be a big upgrade.

Ok ok...I understand the practicality of these responses from the well-respected photographers here..and thank you for the sensible advice.

Alas...I don’t think advancing my equipment incrementally is a rule that I want to abide by at this point in my life. They say this camera approaches quality of medium format!!..so...I’ll spend the extra and will definitely push the limits with that thing. And honestly ...I’ve been shooting for 27 years now and have been waiting a long time for a serious camera like this....so I’m going for it! We will have to see what I produce with it...won’t we;). Thanks again folks for all your pointers!

Some of those older lenses can be had cheap and they can be really really good.

thanks for your advice in this post. I will heed your words sir

And what do you need all the resolution for? Big prints? you crop a lot?

no cropping. Big prints...sure. My reason for making this jump is purely for image quality, dynamic range, and just pure awesomeness of course;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back