Nikon FM10 viewfinder goes blank

av12345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've recently purchased a used Nikon fm10, it came with the lens, nikkor zoom but I'm having some problem with the viewfinder and the aperture of the lens, everytime I took some picture the viewfinder will goes black and it wont return for until the next 2 or 3 frame unless I turn the lens a bit, it made a click sound and the viewfinder will open. Ive tried to take out the lens and try firing the shutter and it work completely fine, it just have the problem when the lens is installed

Your lens is fouling the mirror and preventing it from returning to its lower position. Is the lens as old as the camera? A more modern lens might be designed for a smaller mirror.

If it's truly a Nikkor lens, then you shouldn't have any clearance issues. Ecxeedingly rare are the 'invasive'-type lenses that would, even by design, conflict with the mirror.

As mentioned, specifically what lens is it?

Hello thanks for your replies it is Nikkor Zoom 35-70mm. I tried to develop the film and it turned good but I still have the problem with the viewfinder being blank and I have to take of the lens a bit to make it normal again everytine i took picture:(

IMG_3808.jpg
540900683.281460.jpg
540900683.281460.jpg

Attachments

• 540900701.936192.jpg
    540900701.936192.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 231
Your FM10 is not actually a Nikon - it is a rebadged Cosina CT1 Super. This is not a bad thing in itself as Cosina always have been one of the top camera manufacturers. There is a known 'fault' with the CT1 Super in that the glue used to hold the mirror in place can be subject to creep over a number of years. This results in the mirror moving very slightly down and then it fouls the lens as yours is doing.

There is a simple cure: heat the mirror SLIGHTLY and push it back up. It will not move very far. If you are not good at things mechanical, any camera repairer should be able to do this for you.

(I am embarrassed that I did not think of this in my first post above but I was tired yesterday)

Thank you so much for the replies! I sent it back to the seller and they will send it for repairing. I was really panic yesterday because i thought the camera is broken Hope it will get fix soon thank you for the advices

Most reactions

Back